Page 1 of 40
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Study: Spanking increases childhood defiance and mental health issues

In one of the largest, most comprehensive studies on the topic, researchers found:

The more children are spanked, the more likely they are to defy their parents and to experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties...
    Source: http://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/ri...by-researchers

I'm sure there will be many anecdotal stories about how "I was spanked, and I turned out fine." Similarly, I'm sure many people could tell us how they used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, and yet they're currently completely healthy.

The science seems to be settled on this issue for the time being. Stop spanking your children.
    Eat yo vegetables

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    In one of the largest, most comprehensive studies on the topic, researchers found:

Source: http://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/ri...by-researchers

I'm sure there will be many anecdotal stories about how "I was spanked, and I turned out fine." Similarly, I'm sure many people could tell us how they used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, and yet they're currently completely healthy.

The science seems to be settled on this issue for the time being. Stop spanking your children.
    It depends on the child, really.

My sister is a little screwy. I am fine, however.

While I do agree there likely are healthier approaches to normal conflicts and issues not too troublesome, sometimes a kid just needs his ass kicked if he openly defies your authority, especially in public. The parent should be in control, not the child.

Seriously, who still spanks there kids?

I bet there's a study for that to.

https://www.iusb.edu/ugr-journal/static/2001/gragas.php

huh, weird. People spanks their kids multiple times a week? What the hell is that about?

edit: I was spanked till I noticed it didn't hurt and mentioned it mid spank to my father. First painful rather than scary spanking, and last spanking. I won't pretend not to be a little screwy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    While I do agree there likely are healthier approaches to normal conflicts and issues not too troublesome, sometimes a kid just needs his ass kicked if he openly defies your authority, especially in public. The parent should be in control, not the child.
    So abusing the child is more about making you feel better, rather than exercising proper discipline?
    Eat yo vegetables

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post

I bet there's a study for that to.

https://www.iusb.edu/ugr-journal/static/2001/gragas.php

huh, weird. People spanks their kids multiple times a week? What the hell is that about?
    That seems a little excessive.

And people who want their kids to be growup and be respectful / disciplined adults instead of entitled, spoiled, and lazy grown children who are a drain on society.

It's like the 'tough on crime' idiots. No matter how many times you show it doesn't work they'll never change their mind.

7+ Year Old Account
    So abusing the child is more about making you feel better, rather than exercising proper discipline?
    It isn't abuse. A few spanks is just going to enforce authority and let the kid know they behaved in a most unacceptable way.

Sometimes words don't reach people. And once a kid realizes there is no reason at all to fear you, they will do whatever they want, whenever they want, and basically spit in your face.

As I said, spanking should only be reserved for rare incidents. Spanking your kid over minor offenses IS what I would consider slightly abusive.

The thing is, kids aren't so stupid that they don't realize this fact either. I got my ass whopped a few times as a kid, and every time it happened I was keenly aware that it had nothing to do with what I did and everything to do with my dad's own personal frustrations. And just that realization alone completely defeats any disciplinary effect of beating kids.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The thing is, kids aren't so stupid that they don't realize this fact either. I got my ass whopped a few times as a kid, and every time it happened I was keenly aware that it had nothing to do with what I did and everything to do with my dad's own personal frustrations. And just that realization alone completely defeats any disciplinary effect of beating kids.
    So you blamed him instead of reflecting what you did wrong?

Do you have children? Please tell me you do, because if you don't anything you say is pretty much invalid. I personally have 2 a 6 and 4 year old and a "stern" look and "stern" voice in public does not always shut your kids tantrum up. Sometimes a pat on the butt is necessary. Beating your child and spanking a child are two different things.

- - - Updated - - -

So you blamed him instead of reflecting what you did wrong?
    This completely Thank you. Same folks that believe a participation trophy is helpful to a child and not hindering him/her.
    "Well i don't play wow to make people cry, i play wow to kill internet dragons and play with cool dudes. If i wanted to make people cry i would become a mail stripper." -Protos Blood DK Bleeding Hallow

I think there is a not-so-fine line between spanking and physical abuse. For some (bad parents and super liberals) this is really hard to figure out. For others (good parents) it's pretty damn obvious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    People who haven't understood yet that you can raise your children just fine without doing so as long as you are decent parents.

Quote Originally Posted by dumathoinn View Post
    Do you have children? Please tell me you do, because if you don't anything you say is pretty much invalid. I personally have 2 a 6 and 4 year old and a "stern" look and "stern" voice in public does not always shut your kids tantrum up. Sometimes a pat on the butt is necessary. Beating your child and spanking a child are two different things.

- - - Updated - - -

This completely Thank you. Same folks that believe a participation trophy is helpful to a child and not hindering him/her.
    Right here we have a demonstration of why people still spank, despite the fact that there are numerous studies showing how harmful it is: These people are impervious to facts. They don't care. They want to justify their previous actions, so instead of learning and growing they would rather continue abusing their children than admit they were wrong to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't abuse. A few spanks is just going to enforce authority and let the kid know they behaved in a most unacceptable way.
    Did you even bother reading the article? Or are you too enveloped in your own preconceived notions.

The science is settled. "A few spanks" does more harm than good, and increases defiance. It's literally counterproductive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dumathoinn View Post
    Do you have children? Please tell me you do, because if you don't anything you say is pretty much invalid.
    My own anecdotal experiences are irrelevant to the topic.

Beating your child and spanking a child are two different things.
    This study specifically studied spanking. Not beating.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    People who haven't understood yet that you can raise your children just fine without doing so as long as you are decent parents.
    'But it's just so much easier to hit my kids.'

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    It depends on the child, really.

My sister is a little screwy. I am fine, however.

If you need to "kick the ass of your child", then you've already messed up and the child is, indeed in control.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you even bother reading the article? Or are you too enveloped in your own preconceived notions.

The science is settled. "A few spanks" does more harm than good, and increases defiance. It's literally counterproductive.
    A lovely catchphrase.

But I will manage my own kids when I have them, thanks.

So you're telling me our parents and grandparents' generations were more likely to defy their parents and had increased anti-social behavior, aggression, and mental health issues and cognitive difficulties than now?

So glad the current generation of teens are so well adjusted and socially friendly. oh wait.

I'm curious, what is considered a "positive form of discipline"?
    Last edited by Faroth; 2016-04-26 at 05:09 PM.

A lovely catchphrase.

But I will manage my own kids when I have them, thanks.
    And according to the science they will turn out to be hellions.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Right here we have a demonstration of why people still spank, despite the fact that there are numerous studies showing how harmful it is: These people are impervious to facts. They don't care. They want to justify their previous actions, so instead of learning and growing they would rather continue abusing their children than admit they were wrong to do that.
    Please tell me how harmful it is? When it is only the millennial generation that gets upset over the fact. Spanking your child is not abuse. Are you also childless offering a hallow opinion?
    "Well i don't play wow to make people cry, i play wow to kill internet dragons and play with cool dudes. If i wanted to make people cry i would become a mail stripper." -Protos Blood DK Bleeding Hallow