Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    legacy =/= pristine

Why was pristine even mentioned when this whole thing was about legacy servers? Its apples and oranges

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Etselion View Post
    And he's late...

No wonder why he's been fired from every single place he ever worked in.
    soda was late, so get ur facts right ...

I would be alright with the Pristine servers if they were to apply their scaling tech to old raids. That way at end game we can still clear the legacy raids at a challenging pace. They could scale gear to provide an incentive and scale mob hp/damage to compensate for the current build's overpowered talents early. Legion's new crafting and end game questing/rep grinds seem like a plausible solution to much of the "stand in the city" mentality. I don't know, I think the pristine server could really work if Blizzard cared enough to make them great. It isn't legacy, but I just recently launched my own WotLK server to play legacy with a small group of friends and even that was too horrible to bear. Graphics were garbage, game play was lousy. I don't know. I'm nostalgic, but I mostly want to see more content. They should just make the legacy content available using the tech they have, and the rewards worth the hassle to obtain them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaskot View Post
    soda was late, so get ur facts right ...
    The meme spewing kid was depressed cus of his whore gf or something like that. But Mark was late on passing him the video anyway.

I like the idea of pristine realms, I'd go further and make a full hardcore realm
    -Harder mobs
    -Harder dungeons
    -Only Heroic and Mythic raids
    -No ability to fly
    -Realm firsts
    -Something to balance Alliance and Horde
    -Only pvp realms
    -No Crossrealm
    -No content nerfs

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves. Vanilla has little to do with it. The predominant reason those people play in there is because it's free.
    Then why are vanilla servers FAR more popular than any other servers? Maybe YOU played it because you can't afford a sub, but there are some of us who actually preferred the old WoW compared to the gutted, kiddy bullshit that it is now.

The big problem is just that almost every one of us would have different ideas of what was vanilla, and then there would be constant pressure from various factions to add some of quality of life improvements. So you would have dozens of features, and players would split on which ones should be included, and you would have a lot of people not happy because their list wasn´t the one chosen.

Turning off all leveling and all the boosts would not really make it ´vanilla´.. you have skills and talents... etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    I like the idea of pristine realms, I'd go further and make a full hardcore realm
    -Harder mobs
    -Harder dungeons
    -No ability to fly
    -Realm firsts
    -Only pvp realms
    -No Crossrealm
    -No content nerfs
    that, and pristine realms should be the default realms.
    if you cant handle the heat you can crawl away with your tail between your legs in defeat and transfer to a babyrealm where you get all the shiny stuff without any skill or effort

I feel bad for the Blizzard associates assigned to wading through the Nostalrius tears, pretending to care, giving more of the attention they crave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythalin View Post
    Then why are vanilla servers FAR more popular than any other servers?
    Because they are likely with fewer bugs. In case someone doesn't know the situation first hand, don't even bother finding a latest version of the game server that isn't full of bugs. The game is practically unplayable compared to the experience of the live game.

Quote Originally Posted by aejt View Post
    Wow, I really hope you don't actually believe this. This would only be the case for someone who thinks jaywalking is "sooo edgy and exciting", and I'm guessing you fit that description well.
    Sounds like I hit too close to home with you, didn't I?

No, it's true. This, coupled with the fact that the servers are free, is why they have so much popularity. They would be played for maybe 6 months on Live official servers until people realized how shit Classic WoW really was, and then would be abandoned once more.

And he's late...

No wonder why he's been fired from every single place he ever worked in.
    He was late for a reason, do some research before you make a fool of yourself. He wanted it to be uploaded by Sodapoppin, Sodapoppin was going through some bad stuff so the video was delayed, the video was ultimately uploaded by Kungen when Kungen got it from Soda.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Watain View Post
    legacy =/= pristine

Why was pristine even mentioned when this whole thing was about legacy servers? Its apples and oranges
    Never thought that pristine servers might have been what blizzard internally thought that the legacy servers would be if ithey got the ball rolling on it? >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    The big problem is just that almost every one of us would have different ideas of what was vanilla, and then there would be constant pressure from various factions to add some of quality of life improvements. So you would have dozens of features, and players would split on which ones should be included, and you would have a lot of people not happy because their list wasn´t the one chosen.
    Easy solution. Add nothing that wasn't in the game back then. No compromises, no problems. 100% Blizzlike.

Leveling without heirloom gear would be fun, in fact it's how I used to level the last time I played when I leveled together with friends. It doesn't have anything to do with a vanilla server though. For every expansion the power creep of players has increased a lot. What draws a lot of people to vanilla servers is the challenge and how fun the imbalance can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonak View Post
    Never in my entire life have I ever witnessed such a cop out response. They have a petition with over 200k signatures and weeks of forum activity and dicussions, a server with 150k active populace and including (according to them) internal discussions. Then, their response is "It would be difficult."
    It blows my mind, if I wrote a thread on the official forums (which hilariously I can't because I stopped playing, super fun echo chamber) criticising a mechanic with such vague and non-constructive weasel words I would expect the thread to be deleted.

Saying "It's difficult" isn't good enough, and saying "If we could push a button" is a strawman. Nobody is asking them to push a button to do it, they're asking them to do it. Nobody is suggesting it might not be difficult, they want to know why (if at all) it isn't feasible. This post is a complete reflection of what a joke the company has become, a complete non answer which serves as nothing but an attempt to placate the masses.
    You really want to know why: There is a laundry list of reason why but I will break them into catagories: (I know this as a Cloud/Server Engineer for a major provider)
    1) The hardware from 2004 is vastly different from Hardware from 2016. The original WoW server was designed to run on early server OS(either Win server 2k/2k3 or early Linux) with early hardware and would have to but completely redisgned to handle new OS software and the hardware advances since then are even more stagering(64bit processing being the biggest). Those people who say that another group did it are not looking at that the Vanilla servers running right now are not up to blizzards network security standards and reliability standards.
    2) Next WoW vanilla would need to be rewritten to include battle.net, and other quality of life things that people would demand(guild banks, bug fixes that were released in the BC release that would be easy to look up. Some examples are the jump logout scrypt, early botting mods, early UI mods that could draw stuff on the ground to play the game for you and many chest/item duping hacks to name a few. These were mainly fixed in BC release. They would also be expected to keep up with these balance/exploit fixes as people are paying a monthly fee to a large company with full access to the code. That means first you would need an engineering team to get it up and going(lots of money) and then a smaller engineering team to keep it running and fixed.
    3) Next is the bandwidth/server equipment and maintence costs for possibly getting back a small portion of the population back(of those 200k signatures how many currently pay wow and how many would start paying for a vanilla server again) for a small period of time. The majority of people who play a game will not keep playing a game with no new content for a long period of time because there is only so much you can do. SO there is no money in this for blizzard contrary to popular belief.
    4) Lastly the problem with current WoW is not the game itself but the player base is no longer a community, even guilds are just a group of people who go kill bosses and not no longer a tight knit group that did everything together. This is mainly because the original player base has become older and does not have the time to play like we did 14 years ago when we were in highschool / college. And the next generation of players is in that instant gratification group of people(where the achievement system comes into play) that does not play a game for 6 hours to gain 2 levels and make 50 gold in stuff to sell in the AH. They would not farm 40 felcloth for your first epic robes.

For these reasons I do not see Blizzard opening a Vanilla server....ever. You may get your cut down server but it will still include all the modern game changes and updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Love it how he's piped down after this.
    LOL, nice bait.

Deleted
    The meme spewing kid was depressed cus of his whore gf or something like that. But Mark was late on passing him the video anyway.
    soda was late because of the drama that happened yesterday on twitch, and mark couldnt reach soda

This "pristine realm" would still be in the current version of WoW with all its streamlining. What appeals to me in a legacy server is the RPG elements that were present in vanilla. So while I am happy for those who would like it, it's not something I personally am interested in. More options are always good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    -Harder mobs
    -Harder dungeons
    -No ability to fly
    -Realm firsts
    -Only pvp realms
    -No Crossrealm
    -No content nerfs
    Remember not all content nerfs are nerfs but fixes to impassable mechanics. prepatch C'Thun being one of them. He was impossible to kill as you could not get passed the room entrance. with the raid alive.