Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why are people EVEN paying attention to these studies. They are liberals. That alone to discredit any of these studies. Not to mention, liberal dominated "science" field had tons of irreplicable studies. Even forgetting all that, what came FIRST, chicken or the egg issue. Last but not least, these studies are from a failure gen. whose raising created the WORST gen. millinials. People who were raised by the old ways created CIVILIZATIONs, but what had LIBERALS done with being raised soft ways? Genuine question, Have any of YOU liberals done ANYTHING that you are PROUD of, that contributed to building of civilization?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Why are people EVEN paying attention to these studies. They are liberals. That alone to discredit any of these studies. Not to mention, liberal dominated "science" field had tons of irreplicable studies. Even forgetting all that, what came FIRST, chicken or the egg issue. Last but not least, these studies are from a failure gen. whose raising created the WORST gen. millinials. People who were raised by the old ways created CIVILIZATIONs, but what had LIBERALS done with being raised soft ways? Genuine question, Have any of YOU liberals done ANYTHING that you are PROUD of, that contributed to building of civilization?
    Way to shoehorn politics in

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Which is BS obviously
    I'm neither a psychologist or a parent- thankfully I don't have to sort the wheat from the chaff on this one.

There are studies that say positive reinforcement is harmful too- some even say spanking may be justified.

Of course, there's also studies that say second hand smoke is harmless and that global warming isn't real too.

So studies aside, who here actually has children?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Can I spank you if you do something I don't like?
    I might like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

7+ Year Old Account
    I got spanked, and i spanked my kids. it was about getting someones attention, my sister required very few spankings as she saw the beatings i got. it got her attention to change behavior. I on the other hand, too a bit more instruction... lol same for my kids. both are fine. i guess you can make numbers and theories say anything these days.. just only include the data u want to ensure the result your looking for.. and blam.. spanking is harmful.

i did it cause it was easy, never enjoyed it. but did it when they where little, and really did not have to do it again once they got around 10ish.. all kids are different, as a parent, u struggle to find what works. if i had info on differnet things to try besides spanking, i may have tried it, but it seemed to get my point across at the time, and when i needed them to stop asking for candy at the checkout line. it got the result i wanted. . so im bad. i dont care.. deal with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Very few I imagine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Whether or not I have children doesn't somehow change the science.

Do you bring your children to the doctor when they're sick, and solicit the advice of medical professionals?

How about when they tell you to vaccinate your children?
    Who knows their children better, their doctor who they see a few times a year, or their parent?
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    "Proper discipline" is called "Positive Discipline"

If you Google it, you'll find plenty of websites, books and studies for it. Wikipedia has several studies that show 'significant' results.

Here's a webpage that has a guide for each age bracket:

The most important things seems to be-

- No spanking
    - No timeouts
    - No yelling/raised voices
    - No grounding
    - No confiscation of privileges/toys

For example, if your 10 year old didn't get his homework done because he played video games instead, don't say "The next time you don't do your homework, I'm taking away your video games". That's harmful, and causes your child to lose respect for you. Instead, say: "You seemed stressed this morning when you didn't get your homework done. Let's figure out a way together on how to get your homework done next time"
    What a joke. I respect and fear both my parents. I also love them immensely.

I would not respect my parents if they let me do whatever I wanted. As people pointed out, kids are smart. Eventually they will figure out they can misbehave all they want with no consequences.

Yes, you should apply this "positive discipline", but you need some more real discipline as well.

Know what you get? A child who understands if they do the right thing, it will reward them, and if they screw up, there will be a consequence.

This "don't ever ever ever punish a child no matter what" sounds like utterly pathetic, spineless, and weak parenting. Good luck with your future kids who have no fear of consequence and become shocked, resentful, and angry when eventually something called the real world shows them that there is consequences for bad actions.

I'm neither a psychologist or a parent- thankfully I don't have to sort the wheat from the chaff on this one.

There are studies that say positive reinforcement is harmful too- some even say spanking may be justified.

Of course, there's also studies that say second hand smoke is harmless and that global warming isn't real too.
    You forgot the "second hand smoke is causing global warming" studies!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    My sister is a little screwy. I am fine, however.

While I do agree there likely are healthier approaches to normal conflicts and issues not too troublesome, sometimes a kid just needs his ass kicked
    This puts so much into context. It's fascinating.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

"Proper discipline" is called "Positive Discipline"

If you Google it, you'll find plenty of websites, books and studies for it. Wikipedia has several studies that show 'significant' results.

Here's a webpage that has a guide for each age bracket:

The most important things seems to be-

- No spanking
    - No timeouts
    - No yelling/raised voices
    - No grounding
    - No confiscation of privileges/toys

For example, if your 10 year old didn't get his homework done because he played video games instead, don't say "The next time you don't do your homework, I'm taking away your video games". That's harmful, and causes your child to lose respect for you. Instead, say: "You seemed stressed this morning when you didn't get your homework done. Let's figure out a way together on how to get your homework done next time"

According to the professionals, if you are "kind and firm" and don't punish your children you will never have to because they will respect you and learn self discipline by your examples.
    You know there are plenty of books and websites proving that vaccines cause autism, right? There are also plenty that show that certain stones or candles have healing properties. I'm not saying "positive discipline" is without merit. But that there are resources to explain it does NOT give it merit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Who knows their children better, their doctor who they see a few times a year, or their parent?
    Are you going to answer the two question that I asked you?
    Eat yo vegetables

Deleted
    No he isn't because he doesn't have to

7+ Year Old Account
    Are you going to answer his question?

Why do we all need to answer all of your questions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether or not I have children doesn't somehow change the science.

Do you bring your children to the doctor when they're sick, and solicit the advice of medical professionals?

How about when they tell you to vaccinate your children?
    I take them to the doctor, yes. I may or may not take their advice, because I know my child better than they do.

Whether or not they tell me to vaccinate has no bearing on whether or not I do. I do get them vaccinated because I think that's best for them, not what the doctors tell me to.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, your turn.

Spanking, which is drastically different than abuse, is absolutely necessary. My older children rarely get spankings. If you have ever dealt with a child, at all, your will learn very quickly that discussions, positive reinforcement, and stern looks do not always work.

Kids have short attention spans when they are young. Depending on the severity of what they did wrong, plus whether or not it has been discussed if it is wrong, can help determine the correct level of punishment.

In real life, not doing the right thing has consequences. For a 5 year old, a "discussion" is not a consequence they understand. Our usual go-to is to talk about why what they did was wrong and try to make them understand how to act in the future.

That being said, if what they did was severe and has been discussed, a spanking is an instantaneous consequence that they understand quickly.

Like I said though, spanking and beating are two different things. 1-2 pops that are hard enough for them to understand what they did was wrong is all it takes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AltruisticRage View Post
    Spanking, which is drastically different than abuse, is absolutely necessary. My older children rarely get spankings. If you have ever dealt with a child, at all, your will learn very quickly that discussions, positive reinforcement, and stern looks do not always work.
    Watch out, the "I don't have kids but I'm comfortable telling you how to parent" crowd is out in full-force.

Much like gun studies, 1 size does not fit all.

I've never spanked my daughter, but I'm not naive either.

Edit: I have popped her on the back of the head on occasion. Just enough to "shock" her, not cause physical harm.

Like she will mouth off to her mother on rare occasion and I'm like a ninja.

Does that trigger you? Too bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    3 year old and one on the way.