Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Much like gun studies, 1 size does not fit all.

I've never spanked my daughter, but I'm not naive either.

Edit: I have popped her on the back of the head on occasion. Just enough to "shock" her, not cause physical harm.

Like she will mouth off to her mother on rare occasion and I'm like a ninja.

Does that trigger you? Too bad.
    My dad said he could be laying on his death bed and would still kick my ass if I was rude to him or my mother.

That's commitment I can respect haha

Much like gun studies, 1 size does not fit all.

I've never spanked my daughter, but I'm not naive either.
    I haven't spanked my oldest. I think it would be counter productive. He's the sensitive kid who would cry at seeing someone else get scolded. It's like why do that if he will go into time out (when necessary) and sincerely apologize if he does something wrong?

My younger one though. I occasionally spank him when it's warranted (maybe a couple times a year). I wouldn't do it if he didn't respond to it, but it typically avoids getting him to meltdown.

Deleted
    Fear doesn't work long term, one day they overcome it and they will despise you instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Who knows their children better, their doctor who they see a few times a year, or their parent?
    I drive my car every day and hence know it better than the guys in the shop right?

Watch out, the "I don't have kids but I'm comfortable telling you how to parent" crowd is out in full-force.
    Please hit your kids really hard so they kill you when they grow up.

I's amazing how beeing able to impregnate your wife suddenly makes you an expert at raising a child.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-04-26 at 06:41 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I haven't spanked my oldest. I think it would be counter productive. He's the sensitive kid who would cry at seeing someone else get scolded. It's like why do that if he will go into time out (when necessary) and sincerely apologize if he does something wrong?

My younger one though. I occasionally spank him when it's warranted (maybe a couple times a year). I wouldn't do it if he didn't respond to it, but it typically avoids getting him to meltdown.
    Another key point the "Spanking is ebul" crowd misses.

Every child is different. No two are the same, therefore the same solution sometimes doesn't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I take them to the doctor, yes. I may or may not take their advice, because I know my child better than they do.

Whether or not they tell me to vaccinate has no bearing on whether or not I do. I do get them vaccinated because I think that's best for them, not what the doctors tell me to.
    Why would you bring your children to the doctor when they're sick if not to solicit the advice of the doctor?

Why do you think that it's best to get your children vaccinated? Did you research the topic? Did you read literature produced by medical professionals?

I did, your turn.
    OK. Your question was "Who knows their children better, their doctor who they see a few times a year, or their parent?"

The question is a little unclear. Could you provide more context. "Who knows their children better" in regard to what? Personality type? Human anatomy and physiology?

Because the latter would quite obviously be the doctor.
    Eat yo vegetables

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    I drive my car every day and hence know it better than the guys in the shop right?

Please hit your kids really hard so they kill you when they grow up.
    Thank you for providing the most hilarious (in a stupid-funny sense) comment of the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does that trigger you? Too bad.
    No, striking your daughter in the head to "shock" her doesn't trigger me. It just makes you a bad parent.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Why are people EVEN paying attention to these studies. They are liberals. That alone to discredit any of these studies. Not to mention, liberal dominated "science" field had tons of irreplicable studies. Even forgetting all that, what came FIRST, chicken or the egg issue. Last but not least, these studies are from a failure gen. whose raising created the WORST gen. millinials. People who were raised by the old ways created CIVILIZATIONs, but what had LIBERALS done with being raised soft ways? Genuine question, Have any of YOU liberals done ANYTHING that you are PROUD of, that contributed to building of civilization?
    HUH? WTF are you rambling about? Liberals? The fuk I am a Liberal and I support spanking. Plz don't lump us all together.
    My parents spanked me and I turned out fine. I'm a millennial as well. It's been my experience that kids who don't get spanked are more out of control. I've finished high school, going to college and Worked. if I had kids I'd spank them too... so fuk off
    Last edited by flyspyro; 2016-04-26 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    You forgot the "second hand smoke is causing global warming" studies!

While this is probably sarcasm, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one. The most ludicrous one I heard was "third hand smoking causes Sudden Infant Death Syndrome"(SIDS) "

I'm actually a smoker, so when I saw the media talking about third hand I looked into the study. The researcher did a survey where he had to explain what third hand smoke is (The bits of ash and the smell of smoke that lingers after a cigarette on clothing) and when 'most' of the respondents agreed it sounded bad he concluded something like:

(Paraphrased from memory): It's common sense really- we all know there's traces of carcinogens and harmful chemicals like lead in cigarettes which we know are harmful to be children. A parent that goes outside for a cigarette then brings it back into the house on their clothes, where it falls to the furniture and carpet and we all know babies put their mouths over everything. Those trace chemicals are probably what cause SIDS.

Didn't stop the media from running the story and some places (such as a hospital in Georgia IIRC) from banning "third hand smoke". Employees must shower and change their clothes after a cigarette on break.

All from a poll about a term the researcher coined.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    You know there are plenty of books and websites proving that vaccines cause autism, right? There are also plenty that show that certain stones or candles have healing properties. I'm not saying "positive discipline" is without merit. But that there are resources to explain it does NOT give it merit.
    Of course. And as I've said before I'm not a parent so I haven't investigated the research, nor do I take a stance on the issue. As the OP stated though, there does seem to be plenty of research concluding that punishments, period, harm all children.

Concluding "I was spanked and I'm fine" and dismissing the reports without consideration seems to me as no different as looking outside, saying "The planet doesn't seem any warmer" and dismissing all research done into global warming without consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    No, striking your daughter in the head to "shock" her doesn't trigger me. It just makes you a bad parent.
    Yup, triggered.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Way to use more potent language to twist what he said.

Also, didn't you say you are not a parent?

Who the hell are you to tell other people how to parent? Get off the high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

Who the hell are you to tell other people how to parent? Get off the high horse.
    Nah its OK, I wouldn't expect anything less from him. Hes the same way with guns. lol

By his definition I strike her all the time actually, we play the same games I did when i was a kid called "slaps" where you put your hands over the others and you have to move them before the other player can smack em.

Isn't one of the goals of parenthood to raise children that will one become responsible and productive members of society?

Is it fair and/or correct to say that just because one person does something, that all similar people will do that thing?

Unlikely, children need to be disciplined in some way if they are being unruly.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Way to shoehorn politics in
    Man is a political animal. Everything we do and are is in the realms of politics. sciences are not free from it. Why do you think liberals flock to soft sciences like psychology and social sciences? And recent article came out finding that soft sciences studies are not replicable, meaning what you know about gender, sex, behavior, socio economy need to be revisited.
    here is the article,
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...riment-results

Yeah, it's the spanking that's causing the defiance...

Not just millenials being shit-tier parents.

It's totally not using a smart phone or tablet to placate them when they're fussing.

It's totally 'not' not looking up from your phone when they're getting in to something.

It's definitely not the fact that they're being raised by single mothers.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Little Psycho View Post
    Unlikely, children need to be disciplined in some way if they are being unruly.
    The proper discipline is to give them a smaller trophy than the one they would've gotten had they behaved properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    To be fair, my oldest son has had lung problems for as long as I can remember (he was born at 27 weeks and at 2 lbs). My wife and I had to argue with the doctors that he needed treatment for asthma, and they disagreed with us for the longest time. Until he had to go into the NICU with severe pneumonia...caused by asthma. Then they all agreed that we were right and he got the proper treatment. I mean nbd right? My son only had to nearly die for the second time in his short life to get people to treat him seriously.

Some of those "guys in the shop" don't know what they are talking about or don't care enough to give your kids the time to treat them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    The proper discipline is to give them a smaller trophy than the one they would've gotten had they behaved properly.
    I'd agree, but only if someone else is actually doing better.

Man, wouldn't that be something if people actually went around buying other people's kids things for behaving like good children.

Maybe it's time to start something like that...
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

Potent language? Why are you being so sensitive? You need more violence in your life.

Why don't you go back to blaming the authors of secretly conspiring to "feminize" this country.
    Eat yo vegetables