Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yeah... gonna have to say BS.

As most of the studies "Spanking", more than likely, refers to straight up abuse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    In one of the largest, most comprehensive studies on the topic, researchers found:

Source: http://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/ri...by-researchers

I'm sure there will be many anecdotal stories about how "I was spanked, and I turned out fine." Similarly, I'm sure many people could tell us how they used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, and yet they're currently completely healthy.

The science seems to be settled on this issue for the time being. Stop spanking your children.
    Violence begets violence. No surprise there.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    If I swat your wife a few times on the rear, what do the police charge me with?
    Are you responsible for the care and upbringing of that person's wife? If not, you shouldn't be touching. Just like it isn't my responsibility to spank someone else's child.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Are you responsible for the care and upbringing of that person's wife? If not, you shouldn't be touching. Just like it isn't my responsibility to spank someone else's child.
    Well my mother in law is quite ill and we are her caregivers. When it is appropriate for me to strike her? To be fair, she has about the mentality of a child due to mental illness, so this is a great comparison.

Deleted
    Well as everybody is ignoring logic and just shouting louder I call quits

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the thing is... I have two already.

If I don't like your behavior, can I hit you?
    So you have children but still can't differentiate between hitting random people because you don't like them and spanking a child to prevent them from doing something potentially dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Well as everybody is ignoring logic and just shouting louder I call quits
    No, you are just unable to provide an actual defense for your position. All you do is repeat how right you are and declare everyone else too stupid for you.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's ironic though is that humans exist for hundreds of thousands of years and raised gazillion kids, tried different methods and techniques. And yet in the current year of 2016 there are still people thinking they know better.

You don't. The answer to the eons old question of how to raise and discipline your kids is simple: depending on the situation, sometime they deserve some spanking, other times a bit of yelling and grounding. When you hesitate to apply the right reaction to their action - you are doing it wrong. When you decide against it - you are doing it beyond wrong. If you rely on some study on "how to discipline kids" disregarding the fact that it doesn't apply to your kids and the situation - you are hopeless.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well my mother in law is quite ill and we are her caregivers. When it is appropriate for me to strike her? To be fair, she has about the mentality of a child due to mental illness, so this is a great comparison.
    Are you responsible for your mother's upbringing?

Actually from any medial perspective, it is not. You cannot blame someone, for something they cannot interpret. This is an iron rule when working with handicapped people and should not be broken. It's like punishing your pet, without the intelligence to link the act to the punishment.

No, you are just unable to provide an actual defense for your position. All you do is repeat how right you are and declare everyone else too stupid for you.
    You have compared children to other random people's wives and now a mentally ill elderly person. Seriously the only rational option you're leaving for people is to just ignore you or leave the thread.

So you have children but still can't differentiate between hitting random people because you don't like them and spanking a child to prevent them from doing something potentially dangerous?
    I got it: The rules are different for people within my care. Alright, so when is it appropriate for me to beat my mother in law?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mental illness and mental immaturity are not the same. One is developing, the other is being hindered through ailment.

And your constant hyperbole isn't doing your argument any credit.

Are you responsible for your mother's upbringing?
    I'm responsible for her care, including her understanding the rules as to not hurt herself. For example, we have a big problem with her wandering out during the night and risking falling down the stairs. May I beat her to convince her not to do this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Mental illness and mental immaturity are not the same. One is developing, the other is being hindered through ailment.

And your constant hyperbole isn't doing your argument any credit.
    No, my argument already won quite awhile ago. It's just fun to watch the layers and layers of special pleading logical fallacies pile up.

Deleted
    No, I said everybody is right and wrong! Spanking can be beneficial and damaging, so can any form of discipline because each human behaves and responds differently

well, i was spanked, now i have over-reacting fear of failing even basic things or doing anything badly, getting adrenaline rush from even slight "problem" that can occur and generaly fear of doing almost anything "new" to me because of said fear of failing and knowing i "was in trouble"..."thanks mom"

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    You have compared children to other random people's wives and now a mentally ill elderly person. Seriously the only rational option you're leaving for people is to just ignore you or leave the thread.
    So your argument really just boils down to: It's alright to hit children to teach them lessons, but nobody else, ever? What's the basis for this argument? Please present me the evidence that says beating a child instills lessons in ways that are somehow invalid for people in ANY other group.

I'm responsible for her care, including her understanding the rules as to not hurt herself. For example, we have a big problem with her wandering out during the night and risking falling down the stairs. May I beat her to convince her not to do this?

No, my argument already won quite awhile ago. It's just fun to watch the layers and layers of special pleading logical fallacies pile up.
    Actually, there's about 10 people shaking their head at what is, ultimately, the incapability of properly engaging in a debate. Carefully put.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsorrow View Post
    well, i was spanked, now i have over-reacting fear of failing even basic things or doing anything badly, getting adrenaline rush from even slight "problem" that can occur and generaly fear of doing almost anything "new" to me because of said fear of failing and knowing i "was in trouble"..."thanks mom"
    You mean you got beat. Spanking does not make you cut your wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Let me disproof your argument by pointing out that it's empiric and counter by adding my own. Lawlz. The fact that these studies don't work, is exactly based on the fact that every child, every parent, every human being! reacts differently to a situation and the outcome of those situations could be the same even with different approaches and neither approach is per definition wrong.

If you never beat your child by principle and you happen to have given birth to the smartest kid in the universe, she will blackmail you to death, exploiting the fact that you cannot enforce your superiority. She is smarter than you, can out-argue you and the only superiority you do have, you won't use.

Sweet and dumb are easy to handle. Iron Willed and highly Intelligent however.
    why I asked if we're accepting anecdotes or not. /eyeroll
    and I've never mentioned the study because I don't NEED a study to tell me I shouldn't hit my kids.
    as for the last bit... /fucksabound

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Actually, there's about 10 people shaking their head at what is, ultimately, the incapability of properly engaging in a debate. Carefully put.
    Proving that an argument is just a special pleading fallacy IS debate. Welcome!