Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Sanders supporters seem to forget in their victim complex that no one, Clinton herself or her campaign, has called for Sanders to drop out. Personally, I hope he figures it out soon because I feel bad for the poor college kids that he is continually bilking out of millions of dollars to support his failed campaign. But at the very least he needs to pivot back to issues and stop trying to damage Clinton to make her unelectable in the general.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Sanders supporters seem to forget in their victim complex that no one, Clinton herself or her campaign, has called for Sanders to drop out. Personally, I hope he figures it out soon because I feel bad for the poor college kids that he is continually bilking out of millions of dollars to support his failed campaign. But at the very least he needs to pivot back to issues and stop trying to damage Clinton to make her unelectable in the general.

Only viable candidate for America. well worth paying into his campaign

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Hey I was merely following up on AlexW's own argument.
    No you didn't. I said these older folks were more centrist and less desiring of rapid change. I did not say they became so after being more left-wing when younger.

These individuals have always been more centrist and less desiring of change, which is an artifact of the Reagan revolution which swung the country to the right. What is happening now is the reverse and the country is rapidly swinging left, as new generations of voters who are more left wing displace and replace the prior ones that are slowly die off.

I have no delusions about what is going on. I support Bernie and have for awhile, but it has been clear that he would not win. Even if he did, I doubt he'd actually get much of anything done in office.

I'm honestly just happy he did as well as he did. I think what came of his campaign was more open conversations about our nation, and what should or shouldn't change. I don't think he was right on everything, but I do think out of the other candidates he was my preferred choice.
    Last edited by lazypeon100; 2016-04-26 at 07:55 PM.

Hey I was merely following up on AlexW's own argument.

Well in regards to the delegate count, yes, the voters have said "No". This despite spreading a message that we take a lot more money from wealthy people and essentially give out considerably more "free things" than US citizens enjoy. Sanders is a smart man, he knows people are usually perceptive to the word "free"... but it hasn't worked for him in this case.
    Except he is about 200 delegates behind with more than 1600 left to award, so this notion that he is some abject failure is just bizarre.

- - - Updated - - -

Bullshit: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/bernie-dems-winddown-220966

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    I have no delusions about what is going on. I support Bernie and have for awhile, but it has been clear that he would not win. Even if he did, I doubt he'd actially get much of anything done in office.

I'm honestly just happy he did as well as he did. I think what came of his campaign was more open conversations about our nation, and what should or shouldn't change. I don't think he was right on everything, but I do think out of the other candidates he was my preferred choice.
    This is why we have to work hard on making sure we elect true progressive and not blue dog democrats that failed to give us true public healthcare back in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    This is why we have to work hard on making sure we elect true progressive and not blue dog democrats that failed to give us true public healthcare back in 2010
    Change needs to happen at the lower levels of government as well though. I think the race being as close as it has been shows there are huge amounts of people who are unhappy with how things are run, and want to bemore in line with the rest of the world when it comes to things like health care or minimum wage.

I have voted for Bernie, but I don't have faith that he will win. I think if we give it another 8+ years and maybe if we have more progressive senators and what not, we could get someone similar to Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Except he is about 200 delegates behind with more than 1600 left to award, so this notion that he is some abject failure is just bizarre.
    Where is that thread about Bernie Sander's math again?

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Change needs to happen at the lower levels of government as well though. I think the race being as close as it has been shows there are huge amounts of people who are unhappy with how things are run, and want to bemore in line with the rest of the world when it comes to things like health care or minimum wage.

I have voted for Bernie, but I don't have faith that he will win. I think if we give it another 8+ years and maybe if we have more progressive senators and what not, we could get someone similar to Bernie.
    Absolutely this. If you want to push the party left you have to vote for the people in the party, not just the presidential candidate. The more progressives in the party means the party itself will move further left, and the better chance of Bernie-like candidates.

Bernie would have been very nice but it's looking unlikely. So instead of fretting over Clinton, pay attention to the lower levels. Don't just vote for the person with a D behind their name, do your research on the candidates and select one who aligns the most with your views. For example, PA has the choice of Fetterman, Sestak, or McGinty. If you're looking for someone more like Sanders, Fetterman is the best choice, but Sestak is also pretty far left and has a better chance of winning (lost by 2% last time), while McGinty is much more in the Clinton camp.

Don't let this election get you down, keep the fight going beyond Sanders. Hopefully Sanders himself will start getting involved in local elections and endorsing people, but even if that isn't the case you still need to get out there and fight. Change isn't going to happen if you do what OP suggests and just laying down and letting shit happen.

Where is that thread about Bernie Sander's math again?
    I'm not saying he is going to win, but you are pretending that he is some kind of crazy failure that nobody votes for. He has won a large number of states and is currently a single landslide victory in California away from tying the race. He is probably going to lose, but 200 delegates behind is not far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post
    Absolutely this. If you want to push the party left you have to vote for the people in the party, not just the presidential candidate. The more progressives in the party means the party itself will move further left, and the better chance of Bernie-like candidates.

Bernie would have been very nice but it's looking unlikely. So instead of fretting over Clinton, pay attention to the lower levels. Don't just vote for the person with a D behind their name, do your research on the candidates and select one who aligns the most with your views. For example, PA has the choice of Fetterman, Sestak, or McGinty. If you're looking for someone more like Sanders, Fetterman is the best choice, but Sestak is also pretty far left and has a better chance of winning (lost by 2% last time), while McGinty is much more in the Clinton camp.

Don't let this election get you down, keep the fight going beyond Sanders. Hopefully Sanders himself will start getting involved in local elections and endorsing people, but even if that isn't the case you still need to get out there and fight. Change isn't going to happen if you do what OP suggests and just laying down and letting shit happen.
    I disagree. The way to push the party to the left is to withhold votes from them entirely.

You seem to be confusing a supporter for a member of the campaign. I certainly don't ascribe the nonsense on these boards to Sanders himself. Also did you happen to read that article? It specifically states that no one has called for him to drop out.
    Last edited by Matchles; 2016-04-26 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    No you didn't. I said these older folks were more centrist and less desiring of rapid change. I did not say they became so after being more left-wing when younger.

These individuals have always been more centrist and less desiring of change, which is an artifact of the Reagan revolution which swung the country to the right. What is happening now is the reverse and the country is rapidly swinging left, as new generations of voters who are more left wing displace and replace the prior ones that are slowly die off.
    Not sure if Sanders supporters opting for the establishment hand picked candidate, Hillary Clinton, is an indicator that "the young voters are rapidly swinging left" but rather "they have swung left, and now have swung back" - replacing the older centrists.

I'm not saying he is going to win, but you are pretending that he is some kind of crazy failure that nobody votes for. He has won a large number of states and is currently a single landslide victory in California away from tying the race. He is probably going to lose, but 200 delegates behind is not far.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. The way to push the party to the left is to withhold votes from them entirely.
    I'm not saying you have to vote for Clinton in the general election, but voting in the lower elections is essential. A lot of people get in just because the amount of voters is embarrassingly low. You can change the party and the way the country is moving by getting people you want into the senate, whether independent or progressive democrat in this case. Ignoring the smaller elections will only work against everyone.

Deleted
    In november.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Why would it matter to him if Clinton lost votes? She stands for a lot of things he is against anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Why would it matter to him if Clinton lost votes? She stands for a lot of things he is against anyway.
    Because he is supposedly a Democrat and would want to see a Democrat in the White House. This go it alone bullshit is the quickest way to end a party. And their platforms are not nearly as different as you claim.

Not sure if Sanders supporters opting for the establishment hand picked candidate, Hillary Clinton, is an indicator that "the young voters are rapidly swinging left" but rather "they have swung left, and now have swung back" - replacing the older centrists.
    Come off it. You are fooling no-one not even yourself. The political beliefs of the young or of anyone for that matter, do not swing around like a yo-yo on a piece of string. Or are you going to say that yours do?

Rather they are strongly aligned with the political left and will vote for left-leaning candidates, but that does not preclude voting for a centrist if it prevents a far-right candidate getting in. They are left, have stayed left, and will continue to be left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Because he is supposedly a Democrat and would want to see a Democrat in the White House. This go it alone bullshit is the quickest way to end a party. And their platforms are not nearly as different as you claim.
    Clinton is being backed by a lot of big corps.
    It would not surprise me if he only ran as a democrat to even have a chance. But you can thank the shitty 2-party american system for that.

the "drumpf" meme isn't funny.

what pisses me off, if that sanders is the same, or better than clinton claims to be on EVERY issue. but people don't vote for him, even though he's actually trustworthy, while clinton's entire political career is self serving lying and warmongering.

15+ Year Old Account
    What good is a Democrat in office if it's just another corporate shill?

If her policies don't align with the Left, having a D in her name doesn't automatically make her better.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter