10+ Year Old Account

Game disconnects due to visits to MMO-Champion and other heavy websites

Hello admins, moderators and forum readers,
    for months now I'm having problems with certain websites (MMO-C and WoWhead mainly since I visit those the most often) about disconnects in the games I play (World of Warcraft/Hearthstone etc).
    It seems every time I open my browser (doesn't matter which one it is) and I visit either of the above mentioned website links I get disconnected from the current game I'm playing.
    My internet provider came over and checked everything on their end (I have the fastest wired internet connection and they even checked their own wires etc), I brought my computer to the shop to let them check if they could find anything (they did a full re-boot and couldn't find anything related to this problem). I even sent a message to Blizzard with all the tests I've done related to the connection problems.
    It seems (and this is not an accusation, but just a mere observation) that the problems are caused because of something on the websites I visit. I'm not a computer expert but the idea that my ISP and everyone else has (who I talked to and has the same problem) is that some ads, script (Java) or the fact that this website doesn't provide it's IP (for DDoS reasons I assume?) makes my connection drop. In all the tests we ran (the IP and the computer company) was that there isn't a proper pathping (pingtests) and other tests we did never make it past the 3rd hop and thus disconnect anything else I currently do on my computer (in this case playing games) before continuing.
    There is a post on the US WoW forums about this issue (mainly related to WoWHead), but the same also happens to people with this website and I was wondering if anything could be done to solve this.
    We've literally tried everything and I personally spent over 300€ to do full check-ups and get everything new and I still have the same problem. It's driving me mad that I can't browse to certain websites because I lose everything else (also work related stuff).

Link to the US forum post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...0817705?page=1
    They said to disable Java Script to see if it solves the problem but it doesn't.
    This is not a problem everyone has who visits your website or other ones, but it does happen with certain people.
    I hope to get an answer to this problem to at least show you acknowledge something is wrong somewhere and that those who have this problem are not left in the dark.

I do want to mention I use Ad-block (because I'm sick and tired of pop-ups and my screen looking like a drawing-book). I would gladly donate/pay to visit this website if this website wouldn't look like that anymore), but this doesn't seem to interfere with the problem at all. I had the disconnects without and with this addition.
    Thanks for reading and I'm patiently awaiting answer.

Mhyroth
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2016-04-26 at 08:26 PM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

mmo-champ is a heavy website?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Deleted
    Hey Mhyroth,

It might be worthwhile trying Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4) either by configuring it on your Laptop/PC or router and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Also, when you say the connection drops, do you mean your device (pc/laptop) is dropping connection to your router, or that your router is losing PPP authentication and/or sync?

Kind Regards,
    Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzlegump View Post
    Hey Mhyroth,

It might be worthwhile trying Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4) either by configuring it on your Laptop/PC or router and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Also, when you say the connection drops, do you mean your device (pc/laptop) is dropping connection to your router, or that your router is losing PPP authentication and/or sync?

Kind Regards,
    Joe

Well it disconnects everything for like a second (exept the webbrowser) and then everything works again. Happens on all devices.
    Will try out what people suggested here and see if it resolves the issue.

Responce @chaud: Why would you ever change back to IPv4 instead of v6 ? Isn't everything supposed to work with v6 nowadays ? (as far as my knowlege goes).

Thanks for the quick replies, will try them out and see if it changes anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    Well it disconnects everything for like a second (exept the webbrowser) and then everything works again. Happens on all devices.

Responce @chaud: Why would you ever change back to IPv4 instead of v6 ? Isn't everything supposed to work with v6 nowadays ? (as far as my knowlege goes).

Edit: I disabled the IPv6 and I still get disconnects after loading the page for the 2nd or 3th time.
    I'm really cautious about changing to the public Google DNS since I've never done those settings before and I'm affraid to lose any previous settings which I can't revert afterwards.
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2016-04-26 at 10:14 PM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I disabled the IPv6 and I still get disconnects after loading the page for the 2nd or 3th time.
    I'm really cautious about changing to the public Google DNS since I've never done those settings before and I'm affraid to lose any previous settings which I can't revert afterwards.
    In that case simply make a note of the previous ones before you change.
    You are not changing a lot in that case, so is not a lot to note down.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    You mean your *router* stops all connectivity if you load a web page?

If you want a solution you'll have to write all the details about what you do before the incident, step by step, and what is the result.

10+ Year Old Account
    I changed to the public Google DNS now. Will report in a couple of hours and see if I get any problems. Didn't have any on startup.

Have you tried it in Incognito mode? (or whatever the other browsers equivalent is) Kind of doubt it'll help in this case but might be worth a shot since it doesn't really take any time. I've found Chrome's Incognito mode to sometimes fix various errors on websites because it runs without any cookies pre-loaded. One big one is my university's website. One of the logins always gives the error "maximum cookies reached" or something like that. I can clear the cookies and then it'll work for that session, but it'll be broken again within a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    mmo-champ is a heavy website?
    It is indeed considerably heavier then most other sites I frequent. Now ofcourse that is all relevent but where something like teamliquid.net loads in under a second MMO-C can take 2-3 seconds to display.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    I changed to the public Google DNS now. Will report in a couple of hours and see if I get any problems. Didn't have any on startup.
    Hey,

Did this resolve for you?

I see in another post that you advised the WAN connection itself isn't dropping and it's present on all devices...I'm pretty sure the fault is at your ISP's end.

When your ISP carried out their testing, was it front line support or their actual network engineers?

- Edit : By network engineers, I don't mean the ones that came out to your property (in the UK, the Openreach SFI engineers literally attend just to prove you have a working broadband connection - they don't actually look at the routing & any potential issues with the ISP's network)

Kind Regards,
    Joe