Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorteh View Post
    Some people really need to put down their pink tinted glasses. Vanilla was fun - AT THE TIME - and thé greatest MMO experience - AT THE TIME.
    Have you heard about Nostalrius recently? The guys who hosted a private server for fun and now Blizzard is in contact with them? Legacy servers are still one of the greatest MMO experience, it is a proven fact thanks to Nostalrius guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeniwyn View Post
    While there were players who played on Nost because it was free, the vast majority of players you came across were players who had left retail because it no longer suited them. And this often weren't cash sensitive players at all. Engineers, doctors, lawyers, economists all over the place. If anything, I would guess that median income was higher on nost than on retail, at least on par. So please stop with the bullshit "because it was free" argument. It isn't valid.
    Aye, 90% of the people I've asked on various vanilla privs have all been okay with paying, it's just that they CAN'T pay to play vanilla/tbc.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

While I like the direction they're looking with 'pristine' servers, I don't think those items are the worst offenders in live WoW. The real problem is how the content is designed. "catch up" gear, multiple difficulties, easy dungeons all have a significantly greater impact than heirlooms or exp bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorteh View Post
    Some people really need to put down their pink tinted glasses. Vanilla was fun - AT THE TIME
    Been having a blast on vanilla for the past year on Nostalrius, no rose colored glasses required. Looks like you're wrong. The sooner you accept it, the sooner we can move past all of this silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x0a View Post
    Have you heard about Nostalrius recently? The guys who hosted a private server for fun and now Blizzard is in contact with them? Legacy servers are still one of the greatest MMO experience, it is a proven fact thanks to Nostalrius guys.
    Some people prefer acceping a free stolen Lada from shady people over paying for Ferrari, proving once and for all that Ladas are popular in demand.
    More news at 11.

Some players need to realize that WoD is nothing but a shitty cash grab from Blizzard, with Garrions keeping sheep logging in every day and hopefully falling for the temptation of buying something from the cash shop and keeping their subscriptions running.

#twosidescanplaythisgame

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus View Post
    I suppose if you count minigames like pet battles and achievements, sure. To me that's not really organic content. And I certainly wouldn't take WoD's PvP over Vanilla's PvP. At least vanilla's PvP gear was potentially useful in PvE as well as PvP.
    Yeah I completely agree with you there. I have no desire to mess with pet battles, grind for achievements....blah. But it's still more things to do. Vanilla's pvp completely revolved around getting to rank 1 so I'm not sure how that's more fun than the assortment we have today. But I've never really been in to pvp so who knows.

Progression is the process of getting a character to 60, then going through the level 60 dungeons, then going to MC to get geared for BWL, then going to BWL to get geared for AQ, etc. In retail, you largely just skip to whatever is current. More content might exist, but you skip it... So is it really relevant to mention?
    So you believe players can level to 100 then skip right to mythic raiding? Heroic? Normal? No, no, and no. If you don't have the ilevel for LFR you do heroics. Then LFR until you get the item level people require for Normal...etc etc. In retail you don't skip anything unless you find a guild that will give you free gear (yeah right), or have a ton of gold to buy up all the boe gear to hit the required item level for normal pugs.

I really wish Blizzard didn't do this during WoD. It's really hard to defend WoW to Legacy WoW when WoD is the current mint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superfula View Post
    So you believe players can level to 100 then skip right to mythic raiding? Heroic? Normal? No, no, and no. If you don't have the ilevel for LFR you do heroics. Then LFR until you get the item level people require for Normal...etc etc. In retail you don't skip anything unless you find a guild that will give you free gear (yeah right), or have a ton of gold to buy up all the boe gear to hit the required item level for normal pugs.
    Or get free gear from tanaan jungle and your garrison and then proceed to spam LFRs. Wow, sounds great.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by mystupidhandle View Post
    The pristine realms are not a moot point to the legacy crowd. I signed the petition for the legacy servers and I read through hundreds of the comments. Most of the people had 2 things in common: They wanted the content and they wanted the community. This is Blizzard's compromise to appeal the latter half.

I remember in vanilla WoW when Blizzard opened server transfers. I felt it literally destroyed the community on Ysera-US. On Ysera there was a "council" of Guild Leaders and we were working together to allow multiple people to complete the scepter quest. In the middle of the night on a Tuesday, before server maintenance, someone who transferred to the server rang the gong. They were in a Guild who couldn't even do the BWL portion of the quest. In addition to ruining the AQ event, when Midwinter transferred to the server, everyone I played with either joined Midwinter or transferred off. Before long, I was playing hopscotch from one server to another just to keep up with my friends and the flavor of the month Guild we joined together.
    Drowned out are the players asking for the much better game mechanics and the actual dangerous world that you actually visited I suppose. A ton of stuff mattered in vanilla, in WoD nothing but the last raid on 4 difficulties does. The same day you ding.

Players tend to simplify, and the weakness of their simplification comes into focus in times like these. For a person who isn't part of the crowd, I can see how this might look like a compromise. It isn't. I can all but guarantee that only a very, very small subset of the movement would be interested in "pristine".

If pristine removed all dungeons and raids except Mythic, we might have a thing. But I doubt it.
    Last edited by Jeniwyn; 2016-04-26 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfula View Post
    My point is that no guilds are doing Highmaul anymore. No guilds are doing BRF. They go straight to Tanaan/HFC. Also, I don't really count doing the same raid on different difficulties as "progression". I guess on some level it is, but it's technically the same raid.

You can say what you want about vanilla and TBC, but nobody really questions that they simple had a different progression model than WotLK and beyond have.

If Blizzard never implements legacy servers than it will be the worst business decision in the entire life span of World of Warcraft. Its butchering their own community. I am no fan of playing old school stuff again but even I respect my fellow friends and gamers and support their desires, even if they differ from mine. J. Allen Brack sounds like an ignorant old man who is out of touch with his player base. To sit there and fault back on "oh its so hard" is just pure laziness. Successful Business' don't complain and make weak ass excuses like that. Lace up your fucking boots, listen to your community and branch off and give your customers what they want. Obviously there is market for it. I mean this thread alone has 50 pages going. When's the last time we have seen 50 pages on the front page of MMO Champ? No new feature in the past 6 years has caused this much keyboard typing.
    Last edited by Cheerbleeder; 2016-04-26 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerbleeder View Post
    If Blizzard never implements legacy servers than it will be the worst business decision in the entire life span of World of Warcraft. Its butchering their own community. I am no fan of playing old school stuff again but even I respect my fellow friends and gamers and support their desires, even if they differ from mine. J. Allen Brack sounds like an ignorant old man who is out of touch with his player base. To sit there and fault back on "oh its so hard" is just pure laziness. Successful Business' don't complain and make weak ass excuses like that. Lace up your fucking boots, listen to your community and branch off and give your customers what they want. Obviously there is market for it. I mean this thread alone has 50 pages going. When's the last time we have seen 50 pages on the front page of MMO Champ? No new feature in the past 6 years has caused this much keyboard typing.
    /kisses and hugs

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure it's been said tons of times already, but:

Pristine realms still don't have the talent trees, gear, tiers not to mention progression between tiers. I just don't get it how it's so hard to make it a reality. Nostalrius made a vanilla server with a handful of volunteers. A massive company can't make one? I understand it might be hard to implement if they're thinking of making it a part of your B-net account; but making an official version of Nostalrius would prolly take them just hours.

Drowned out are the players asking for the much better game mechanics and the actual dangerous world that you actually visited I suppose. A ton of stuff mattered in vanilla, in WoD nothing but the last raid on 4 difficulties does. The same day you ding.

Players tend to simplify, and the weakness of their simplification comes into focus in times like these. For a person who isn't part of the crowd, I can see how this might look like a compromise. It isn't. I can all but guarantee that only a very, very small subset of the movement would be interested in "pristine".

If pristine removed all dungeons and raids except Mythic, we might have a thing. But I doubt it.
    I could see them removing LFR, but leaving everything else. I doubt they would ever restrict it to just Mythic. Even Mythic players use Heroic to gear-up.

Quote Originally Posted by mystupidhandle View Post
    I could see them removing LFR, but leaving everything else. I doubt they would ever restrict it to just Mythic. Even Mythic players use Heroic to gear-up.
    Yeah. That wasn't really a suggestion. It was more intended as a vehicle to point out that things are so different now that overly drastic measures would be needed.

I didn't even go into stuff like removing ALL aoe threat abilities without a long cooldown to force CC use. (Monks and DK's would probably have to go bye bye completely)

The raid tiering system results in older stuff not mattering, and in fact, progression is pointless since you can come back a tier later and you will catch up immediately. While that seems nice at first glance, it makes everything feel pointless. In an RPG you sink countless hours into, that feeling is...lets call it "not good". Also, it gets super repetetieve when only one instance at a time matters, at all, even for alts. (Both you and your friends)
    Last edited by Jeniwyn; 2016-04-26 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    Let me kill this idea that Nost was in a separate reality. I played on Nost and I played on retail (until I got into the alpha). Nost wasn't utopia but it had something retail lacked - a vibrant realm-based community, which is what retail WAS until post-Cata killed all of that. No-one really gives a shit about raids, graphics, skills, professions. The core of successful MMO's are virtualised societies.

Yeah. That wasn't really a suggestion. It was more intended as a vehicle to point out that things are so different now that overly drastic measures would be needed.

I didn't even go into stuff like removing ALL aoe threat abilities without a long cooldown to force CC use. (Monks and DK's would probably have to go bye bye completely)
    They did force CC in Cata. The outcome of that was unholy amounts if QQ because people simply couldn't grasp the concept.

Deleted
    Don't give us "Pristine" server... Give us an exact version of the old wow. Nostralius team will give us that. Make Blizz to add their server to a menu where you pick Retrail or Legacy Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansen View Post
    Don't give us "Pristine" server... Give us an exact version of the old wow. Nostralius team will give us that. Make Blizz to add their server to a menu where you pick Retrail or Legacy Wow.
    im just gonna quote someone who posted on the reddit

As a software engineer, this is so frustrating to see. I wonder when people will understand why this will never happen. Its technically/financially impossible. It cant be done. And here is why.
    World of warcraft is a game that is embedded in blizzards company "pipeline". Most big tech companies have these, and blizzard even gave it a name: Battlenet. Most people think of this pipeline as something entirely game-related, but its really much more than that. Its customer support. Its account management. All the payments run through it. Your blizzard account sits in the core of battlenet.
    For world of warcraft to work, it has to be able to interact with all the battlenet features. You can now have friends on the battlenet? World of warcrafts friendlist has to support it. Some GM sitting in a cubicle in Paris wants to help a player recover a lost Weapon? That interaction will run through Battlenet, and WoW has to support that interface. Report a bug? Battlenet. Create a char? battlenet. Find an item and store it on the server? Has to fit the newest battlenet guidelines so player support can interact with it. These are all features that are constantly updated. Its an enourmous pipeline and it cant be changed.
    Now, true legacy WoW was designed for whatever battlenet was at that time. Thats 10 year old technology. Servers, instancing, accounts, characters, player IDs, player feedback, support, communication, chat, all these things - these things work very different nowadays. There is proably not a single thing today that is done the same way.
    So how could blizzard solve this? They could take the old client & server and update it to work with blizzards current pipeline. I dont think people understand what kidn of undertaking this is. Imagine you have a bicycle but you need a motorcycle. But people insist that you take your bicycle and upgrade it to a motorcycle. Youre not allowed to just build a new motorcycle, but actually physically upgrade every single part until you somehow have a motorcycle, because you want to keep all the bicycles properties. Now translate this task to a software project that probably has several millions of manhours on it - its just impossible. It would be a financial suicide. It would require hundreds of engineers. It. will. not. happen.
    "then why can a group of nerds set up their own server?" - What they do is to simulate the servers EXACTLY how they were at that time.
    "then why doesnt blizzard just take the private servers software and run it themselves?" - That would mean that all the systems are seperate from their current infrastructure. That means that if they want to actually support players on these legacy server, they have to literally recruit people to work with the private server software. Same goes for all the account related stuff. payment. account security. Everything. they would have to create a new company. None of their personal is trained to work with it. This is equally unlikely to happen. Not at all.
    The actual thing that is MOST LIKELY to work is to "recreate" legacy WoW on the current WoW engine. That would mean they dont have to train people to work with outdated software, or upgrade any kind of old software. But it would mean that they pretty much have to recreate an entire game, all the spells, items and pretty much every single script. This stuff is so old that it is probably not portable at all. it will have gone through so many iterations that probably every single thing will ahve to be touched and fixed in some way. This kind of stuff is any software engineers nightmare. But its by far the most likely thing to happen. Will it ever happen? No. Its probably way, way more work than a new expansion, with way, way less financial tradeoff. Their CEOs / Investors wouldnt see the potential gain on paper and these are the people with the last word.
    And this is why there will never be a blizz legacy server.
    TLDR: There is no scenario where this is technically feasible.