Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Said it before, and i'll say it again. As a smoker, I feel cigarettes should be outlawed. There is absolutely no benefit to smoking, and it will cause you and others harm.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

As long as there is no smoking indoors (like public places), I could care less if someone wants to kill themselves with lung cancer. People should have the freedom to smoke a cig if they want to. What is this Nazi germany? Just don't second hand my shit.

Cigarettes cost society money through higher medical costs. They should be taxed even higher than they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    You have got to be kidding.

100% true, but the issue is you need to get proper law enforcement in place thats the difficult part since we all know they usually just like to drive around killing people in poor neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Said it before, and i'll say it again. As a smoker, I feel cigarettes should be outlawed. There is absolutely no benefit to smoking, and it will cause you and others harm.
    And next people can ban booze (because that worked out so well first time) and next we can move onto overly fatty foods that offer no benefit whatever so ever.

I'd love to see a comparison chart between smokers and fat people and the cost of both for society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    And next people can ban booze (because that worked out so well first time) and next we can move onto overly fatty foods that offer no benefit whatever so ever.

I'd love to see a comparison chart between smokers and fat people and the cost of both for society.
    There have been studies which show that alcohol does have benefits. Overly fatty foods can also have nutrients that offer benefits. There is quite literally no benefit to smoking.

If people really want to, they currently can grow their own tobacco and smoke it. They are welcome to slave over that if they wish. They just can't sell it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

You'll find studies that show obesity costs more than smoking to society.

Banning smoking is much simpler though than tackling obesity issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    If I drive drunk, I might hit your kid with my car and kill your kid.

If I smoke in front of your kid, I might give your kid lung cancer, causing them to die a slow and painful death.

Seems comparable to me, if anything you could make the argument that smoking is worse.
    When you hit someone with a car, there is a direct and unequivocal cause to the harm. Second hand smoking causing cancer is like adding a cancer ball to the cancer lottery. The fact that it's the cause of the cancer and not one of the infinite other cancer causing agents we face daily, is what causes the separation between the two. If you get hit buy a car, you know what broke your hip. If you get lung cancer, it could be second hand smoke... or camp fire smoke... or polluted air... or genetic predisposition...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

There have been studies which show that alcohol does have benefits.
    Oh but we aren't talking 1 beer a day or 1 glass of win, we are talking about the millions of people everyday that consume enough to get drunk.

Overly fatty foods can also have nutrients that offer benefits.
    No there is no health benefit to eating a double stack oatmeal pie cookie.

There is quite literally no benefit to smoking.
    Health benefits? No. Benefits period? Debatable. Some people smoke before (example) a big event to calm down.

For the record I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I try to avoid shitty food when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yes, in NYC there is a black market for pork cured in a way that does not meet FDA standards.
    Yeah, and the vast majority of people DON'T go out and buy that pork, so obviously the ban worked for the most part.

There are black markets for clothing that's fake brand name. Counterfeit goods is so prevalent, it's one of the items Trump explicitly lists he will target in China. I don't understand why you think cigarettes will not be on the black market, like everything from food to clothes is.
    Already explained this like 30 times now, not going to bother again. Next time, read. I can see you've got 22,000 posts so maybe you spend more time pounding away at the keyboard than actually reading.

Your link lists many items that are banned due to death and many others due to birth defects. Nothing on that list causes minor biological effects.
    You're misconstruing my words. I said minor biological effects in the sense that many don't get you high. Jesus christ the people on this website fancy themselves so clever. Misconstruing words on purpose =/= clever
    Last edited by Invrlose; 2016-04-26 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been studies which show that alcohol does have benefits. Overly fatty foods can also have nutrients that offer benefits. There is quite literally no benefit to smoking.

If people really want to, they currently can grow their own tobacco and smoke it. They are welcome to slave over that if they wish. They just can't sell it.
    Smoking does have benefits. It reduces stress and rage, and helps curb obesity, and there have been studies showing many other benefits:

http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-h...g-disease.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    Yeah, and the vast majority of people DON'T go out and buy that pork, so obviously the ban worked for the most part.
    Vast majority didn't buy that pork in the first place. Just like vast majority do not smoke. The above is meaningless...

Already explained this like 30 times now, not going to bother again. Next time, read. I can see you've got 22,000 posts so maybe you spend more time pounding away at the keyboard than actually reading.
    My reply is counter to what you have posted previously and a direct response to what you said to me. You bothered to respond with the above, instead of explaining how what I said is contradicted by what I am replying to. To explain why you won't explain, once again... Is meaningless...

You're misconstruing my words. I said minor biological effects in the sense that many don't get you high. Jesus christ the people on this website fancy themselves so clever. Misconstruing words on purpose =/= clever
    Biological effects and get you high are completley different concepts. Perhaps that's the issue with your explanations... You say one thing, but mean something completely different... It has nothing todo with being clever. There is nothing clever in responding to biological effects, when the person speaking means getting you high. Don't blame me for your inability to communicate. It's why your comment about explaining already is meaningless. Who knows, maybe you are using words that do not mean what you intend, which is leading to disagreement.

Clothes on the black market do not get you high, but are still a large enouph industry that it's one of the points a leading presidential candidate points out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Smoking does have benefits. It reduces stress and rage, and helps curb obesity, and there have been studies showing many other benefits:

http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-h...g-disease.html
    Here is a catch though... Being a smoker and not being able to get smokes, increases stress, rage and obesity, that none smokers do not face.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Here is a catch though... Being a smoker and not being able to get smokes, increases stress, rage and obesity, that none smokers do not face.
    Doesn't the same thing happen to people who consume alcohol on a daily basis?

Edit: I would even say this extends to certain types of food... (see people trying to lose weight)

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't the same thing happen to people who consume alcohol on a daily basis?

Edit: I would even say this extends to certain types of food... (see people trying to lose weight)
    Yeah, all I did was describe withdrawal.

Sugar is a big one, as far as foods.

Yeah, all I did was describe withdrawal.

Sugar is a big one, as far as foods.
    Yea. Sorry, my point was simply any argument about banning cigarettes has either:

A. Been tried on other things (see prohibition era)
    B. Is a slippery slope of bullshit

Thats all lol

I am all for smokers being confined to their own quarters or vehicle while smoking. (or an adult bar (example) where notices are clearly posted that it is allowed so those that dislike it can go somewhere else)

Deleted
    He can think anything he wants.

In a few months he can retire and think all day, every day anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Where exactly are you smoking in front a kid? Please give a reasonable example of a location where it is currently not banned by the store, and you insist on some law protecting children? To me, it just seems like such laws would just make more adult-oriented locations illegal.
    On the weekends I work as a security guard at a retirement community. Kids come in and out all the time, adults come in and out all the time. Sometimes adults smoke under the covered entrance to the building, trapping the cigarette smoke in the covered area. I remove them from the area, but the smoke is still there until it dissipates, plenty of kids can walk through it in that time.

And that is just one example off the top of my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Tough shit, shouldn't have started that selfish disgusting habit in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    On the weekends I work as a security guard at a retirement community. Kids come in and out all the time, adults come in and out all the time. Sometimes adults smoke under the covered entrance to the building, trapping the cigarette smoke in the covered area. I remove them from the area, but the smoke is still there until it dissipates, plenty of kids can walk through it in that time.

And that is just one example off the top of my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Tough shit, shouldn't have started that selfish disgusting habit in the first place.
    I am taking a guess, but generally by law they should not be within 20-50 feet of a public entrance.

The problem is not that they are smoking, its:

A. They are breaking the law
    B. Being inconsiderate dickwads

way to much money would be lost in taxes alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jasla View Post
    way to much money would be lost in taxes alone.
    This is the most realistic answer as to why a ban on cigarettes will never happen in this entire thread is my guess.

I'd almost venture into "big to fail" in context of the government wanting their $$$