Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post Make Azeroth great Again! - But in a New Way...

How could Blizzard make old zones relevant again?

Should The new World Quest System be developed for the old zones as well?
    It would certainly give the feeling of a living breathing world back again, especially when paired with VOLUNTARY level scaling.

There could be a button to press at the end of the level bar which scales you according to zone specific max level, so you could complete new world quests in that particular zone, after you have completed the main quests for it.
    (Maybe this would even eliminate the need for pristine servers, because world bosses in these old areas would help build the community.)
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2016-04-26 at 09:36 PM.

no reason to make old outdated content rehashes just a waste of resources

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    no reason to make old outdated content rehashes just a waste of resources
    Very subjective view.
    Look at the at least vocal demand for classic servers.
    Some people obviously do like the idea of some classic content being relevant again.

I don't think scaling works as a whole everywhere, for there has to be a player progression.
    Inexperienced and new players are not in my view well suited to taking on enemies with more varied and advanced abilities.
    Scaling simply by numbers is not enough.

Let players deal with simpler mechanics first.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-04-26 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't mind the idea of applying scaling zones to all level brackets (for example, Azeroth/EK scale from 1-60, Outland and Northrend 60-70, Cata 80-85 zones and Pandaria from 80-90, and WoD zones scale 90-100). I'd also be cool with some world quests or high-level storylines that move the story in old content forward rather than them just being completely abandoned with open plot hooks for half a decade before getting revisited.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Very subjective view.
    Look at the at least vocal demand for classic servers.
    Some people obviously do like the idea of some classic content being relevant again.

I don't think scaling works as a whole everywhere, for there has to be a player progression.
    Inexperienced and new players are not in my view well suited to taking on enemies with more varied and advanced abilities.
    Scaling simply by numbers is not enough.

Let players deal with simpler mechanics first.

Doubt there is any demand for old school servers they will be ghost towns almost instantly since character progression will die out very fast

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Doubt there is any demand for old school servers they will be ghost towns almost instantly since character progression will die out very fast
    There is a vocal demand, and personally I found the updated Onyxia and more recently Molten Core event to be a refreshing change, at least when players cooperated.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Why would I decide..hey fuck it..today is the day I want to visit Desolace scaled up to lv 110 and do quests there...that I cannot even do because I did them already ^^

Oh wait...the new World quest system. Yeah, I guess that could work. But does a daily world quest every once in a while makes zones "relevant?"
    Either you can't read or you are too stupid to understand:
    1. The zones would not be scaled up, players would be scaled back down.
    2. World quests are not daily quests - they are more like the Events feature in Guild Wars 2

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-26 at 09:48 PM.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should use the Keystone system and apply it to leveling. As an optional feature, of course. Give us ACTUAL mechanical complexity and challenge over that "pull 1 mob, eat, repeat"-shite that people confuse with challenge...dumb as brick AI = challenging to windowlickers perhaps...

Focus should go into improving and expanding the Live game, not catering to people stuck mentally 11 years ago...

10+ Year Old Account
    The Cataclysm world is already relevant for collecting/completing/progressing every details of your character.
    Unless you completed it (you have all my respect if you really did this).

In that case I'm not sure it could be made relevant again. It's good to have some zones "done" at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GameGod888 View Post

It would certainly give the feeling of a living breathing world back again, especially when paired with VOLUNTARY level scaling.
    I think rather than world quests, they should add random events to zones around the world. Like invasions, but in old world zones rather than garrisons.
    For example, one week, Desolace (since someone mentioned it ) is experiencing a massive Naga invasion, with Naga camps spouting all over the place and the normal zone functioning disrupted. Since mob scaling tech is now implemented, those mobs can be killed by players of all levels. Once a certain number of nagas are killed (server-based), a huge world boss spawns and must be killed by a metric crapton of players (they increased server capacity, so it should work, right? ). After that, the zone returns to normal. Rewards are open to discussion: valor points, artefact points, tabards etc...

The other possibility I've been thinking about is adding world PVP objectives in a lot of zones (think Silithus), but it is a bit more of a niche approach.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

There could be a button to press at the end of the level bar which scales you according to zone specific max level, so you could complete new world quests in that particular zone, after you have completed the main quests for it.
    (Maybe this would even eliminate the need for pristine servers, because world bosses in these old areas would help build the community.)
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...I-came-up-with!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Exactly..I cannot read and I cannot type.

So..today is the day when I decide to visit Desolace to be scaled down and do quests...that I cannot do, because I have done them already. Scaled up, scaled down does not matter. So old zones become relevant by putting dailies into them. Whoop dee doo. Guess 2 years of whining about dailies are suddenly out of the window. Dailies are now super duper because....I don't do them in current zones but in old zones.

Yeah..you don't suppose devs had that idea and found it lacking?
    Contrary to what you think, scaling down is not the same as scaling up. It would actually require less work to scale down the player than to scale up the zone, as well as various other factors.
    As you mentioned, Blizzard must surely have thought about this in the past also, but now would be the time to actually implement this feature, since vanilla-babys would be pacified this way.
    Keep in mind this content - like all content really - is optional, you can play the way you want. Yet those with a craving for Nost-server-algia could experience the old zones in a new way.

You also fail to understand that world quests are completely different from daily quests still.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Great minds think alike as they say!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who came up with this idea.
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2016-04-27 at 10:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great minds think alike as they say!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who came up with this idea.
    Thanks =).
    I do want to see a chronicle-like "thing" that helps tell our story as a character. An optional gesture like the one I suggested looks like an okay compromise and hope something like that is floating around on their whiteboard somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Thanks =).
    I do want to see a chronicle-like "thing" that helps tell our story as a character. An optional gesture like the one I suggested looks like an okay compromise and hope something like that is floating around on their whiteboard somewhere.
    And I just now finished watching your video explaining the feature, I must honestly say I dig the idea of a compendium for new players to complete key quests which may have already even been removed from the game.
    The first thing which came to my mind now when I watched the video was a Gates of Ahn'Quiraj like scenario for players who were not playing all those years ago. They could experience it firsthand with your Compendium feature.
    I think it would really help them understand why we must constantly fight to keep Azeroth safe.

I'd welcome that (the only difference is that I'd make zones scale to max-level instead of you to zone level).

Same for instances and raids. Everything should scale to max-level, they should pick up old content that is unused and make it used, it's a shame it is wasted for nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I'd welcome that (the only difference is that I'd make zones scale to max-level instead of you to zone level).

Same for instances and raids. Everything should scale to max-level, they should pick up old content that is unused and make it used, it's a shame it is wasted for nothing.
    I'm with you on the zone part.
    I thought the same for instances and raids too, but I think there should be a compromise somewhere. There's a certain value to going back to older dungeons/raids just for the sake of transmog. And with older, scaled raids, what should the target item level be? I think we'd see weird decision making and theorycrafting of using old tier or trinkets. Or a scaled set of warglaives!
    I think flagging certain dungeons randomly (world quest?) would work, and maybe a weekly event for a raid. I'm just not sure how the item level spread should work.

Add world events/FATEs whatever you want to call them with level scaling
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Make gnomes great again first.

Isolated pristine realms in which your characters do not share achievements, BoA whatnot would be just fine. I would definitely switch to a PvP pristine server. Imagine the fun baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Wouldn't mind the idea of applying scaling zones to all level brackets (for example, Azeroth/EK scale from 1-60, Outland and Northrend 60-70, Cata 80-85 zones and Pandaria from 80-90, and WoD zones scale 90-100). I'd also be cool with some world quests or high-level storylines that move the story in old content forward rather than them just being completely abandoned with open plot hooks for half a decade before getting revisited.
    I would take this idea and add branching stories to it. Basically make it so that you begin a quest in your starting area that will last until level 60, but give you branch choices along the way which will take you different places, so that way you can level alts and have them follow a different story line each time, picking up side quests as you go.

It would take a lot of work and probably wouldn't be worth it for a game as old and as established as WoW is, but it would still be a nice twist on the alt game.