Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How long you think there will be before a new big war?

How long you think there will be before a new big war? Sooner or later some nation will want to expand their territory for resources or grab more power I think, how long do you think it will take for that?

15+ Year Old Account
    define "big war".

do you mean something like the US invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan? because that was no big war. It was like watching a big dude on steroids beating the shit out of a 10 year old boy.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Miss-quoting Einstein " i dont know how or when will be the 3 big war, however the 4 will be with sticks and stones"
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there will be another war in our lifetime, at least not in the conventional sense. Most conflicts are moving into an asymmetrical battlespace, while others are fought over the information that people are allowed access to.

Personally, I imagine the next big "war" (using the term loosely) will be something of a people's revolution. We've moved into a post-democratic age, and people are starting to wake up to it - I doubt they'll remain passive and civil when all other avenues of change are closed off for them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    Miss-quoting Einstein " i dont know how or when will be the 3 big war, however the 4 will be with sticks and stones"
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

my favorite operation flashpoint quote :P.

Deleted
    Depends on whether we elect people who will bring business back to heel. That'll be the root cause of the next big mosh.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Prime example on how sometimes even really bright people have no clue on what they are saying.
    What do you mean?
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Europe is too close for there to be a war coming out of there. It'd have to be something like the middle east uniting and then allying with Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    What do you mean?
    he means that he can't grasp a brilliant hyperbole and takes it literally

US vs China might become into a war someday, but China would lose a trading partner if that happened.
    Russia is too poor to fund a war
    Europe is getting busy with refugees and wouldnt war with anyone outside of EU
    nobody else has enough weps for a big war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eternity. I find it very unlikely that in the modern world anyone will decide to commit suicide this way. The only country that, I think, realistically may attempt it is North Korea, and that one would be shut down quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    US vs China might become into a war someday, but China would lose a trading partner if that happened.
    Russia is too poor to fund a war
    Europe is getting busy with refugees and wouldnt war with anyone outside of EU
    nobody else has enough weps for a big war.
    USA is pretty much entering into a crawling conflict with China over Pacific. The thing is, it's only a matter of time for China until they surpass USA's military might, which is overhyped anyway. USA must do something to break China's potential within the next 2-3 decades or they just won't be able to stop it. Those carriers are getting older every year.

Jewropean Union is falling apart, and all the better for everyone except of the neo-colonialists (notably Germany, France and, to an extent, UK) leeching the resources from the poorer countries in order to keep their high living standards. Unless they, alongside with USA, manage to maneuver Russia into attacking Eastern Europe, which would subsequently get ruined, Eastern Europe might rise as a rival to old EU. Intermarium, anyone? To those claiming it's impossible, remember that China reformed from an ancient, farming society to a modern country and the 2nd largest economy in the world within 50 years (or 100, depending on how one looks at it, but China from 50s was still a heritage park, it wasn't until 70s when it REALLY started modernizing at a ridiculously fast pace).

Also, don't underestimate Russia's potential. It might not have dollars, but that doesn't matter in times of war. The first day of the new world war markets would fall apart and it would become apparent that paper notes are good for wiping one's ass and not much else. And then people would realise it's resources that matter, and Russia has them. It is a mostly self-sufficient country. Not that it could win the world war, especially if it didn't use nukes on a large scale, but it definitely can afford a war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Not that it could win the world war, especially if it didn't use nukes on a large scale, but it definitely can afford a war.
    That is pretty much the elephant in the room. The US is about the only country that could tolerate a war right now - our military is still currently, actively fighting, and basically winning a war, so switching theaters wouldn't be too rough. China's military would be a significant threat, if it wasn't for the fact that the US is the primary country supporting their economy. If we went to war, a lot of funds would drain from the country, and supporting a war would be tough. Not many other countries would back China against the US.

So we have a world that, in general, is too poor to fund a war, and too exhausted in many parts to even want to deal with it. Air, land and sea battles would exhaust them even further. Months, years down the road, populations would be starving, friendships severed, and the world would be on its head. Instead of going through all of that, I fear that many countries would take the quicker route and just start throwing nukes at each other. Consider what happened when we dropped two of them on Japan - We hit their population hard, yes, but it didn't affect their military that much, they could've kept fighting. They decided it wasn't worth it under that kind of threat. The same thing would most likely happen in this case. One or more countries would get nuked to stymie a long war, and any country strong enough to survive would most likely take advantage of the situation. Or, worst case, everyone loses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Hyperboles are retarded and have no place in any conversation.
    cause some Suomi student said so?

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Fuck our internet connections and we will start a biggest war you've ever seen!

Not long, N Korea is feeling froggy and they will probably go after S Korea at some point. Friends i have in Military intelligence have said for years, its not so much the Middle east we really have to worry about, It is South East Asia . Personally I think we are much closer to WW3 then many want to admit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That is pretty much the elephant in the room. The US is about the only country that could tolerate a war right now - our military is still currently, actively fighting, and basically winning a war, so switching theaters wouldn't be too rough.
    The US military hasn't won a war since the 90's.

- - - Updated - - -

China's military would be a significant threat, if it wasn't for the fact that the US is the primary country supporting their economy.
    Jesus, the propaganda in the US is worse than North Korea's. China is bankrolling the US not the other way round. Where you do think that trillions of dollars worth of debt comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The US military hasn't won a war since the 90's.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus, the propaganda in the US is worse than North Korea's. China is bankrolling the US not the other way round. Where you do think that trillions of dollars worth of debt comes from.
    Well, as china owns about 10% of US dept (less than 10% actually since 2015), not really china. The US itself owns more US dept than china does.

That is pretty much the elephant in the room. The US is about the only country that could tolerate a war right now - our military is still currently, actively fighting, and basically winning a war, so switching theaters wouldn't be too rough. China's military would be a significant threat, if it wasn't for the fact that the US is the primary country supporting their economy. If we went to war, a lot of funds would drain from the country, and supporting a war would be tough. Not many other countries would back China against the US.
    Agreed about China, it's expanding because it's relying on export, chiefly to USA. If export stopped, it would fall apart quickly. Which is why China is looking to switch to different markets in addition to increasing the production of goods for its inside market. Time plays in China's favor, though. All the money China earns, it spends on modernizing the country. They are not hoarding dollars because they are aware dollars are only valuable in our world for as long as world thinks they are worth something.

But what is that war USA is supposedly winning? The so-called war on terror? Ever since it started, terrorism only increased in scale and became a world-wide threat. If that's called winning a war, then I'd rather not see USA lose one. USA is good at bullying smaller countries with massively inferior militaries to its own, that's for sure, but it hasn't won a real war in 70 years, unless you consider the Cold War, out of which it obviously went on top, a real war.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The thing is that China has no way to extort that money from USA. USA could go "we're not paying you a penny back, China, what are you gonna do about that?" for all we know. And what would China do? Stop producing stuff for USA. Sure, markets would tremble, there would be a chain effect affecting every aspect of life for everyone around the world... and then the world would adapt, and in the end, China would be the loser, because it would be the one that lost those trillions of virtual dollars.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2016-04-27 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Agreed about China, it's expanding because it's relying on export, chiefly to USA. If export stopped, it would fall apart quickly. Which is why China is looking to switch to different markets in addition to increasing the production of goods for its inside market. Time plays in China's favor, though.

But what is that war USA is supposedly winning? The so-called war on terror? Ever since it started, terrorism only increased in scale and became a world-wide threat. If that's called winning a war, then I'd rather not see USA lose one. USA is good at bullying smaller countries with massively inferior militaries to its own, that's for sure, but it hasn't won a real war in 70 years, unless you consider the Cold War, out of which it obviously went on top, a real war.
    Time plays against china. Their efforts to stop pop growth have fucked their demographics pretty hard.

Also, there isn't really another country without a massively inferior military compared to the us. Iraq's military was one of the best in the world before we happened to it (the first gulf war).