Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It's kind of obvious - at least to me - why it's unusual.

In order from least to most -

Female femininity: African, Latino, Caucasian, Asian
    Male masculinity: Asian, Caucasian, Latino, African

Males tend to prefer feminine females while females tend to prefer masculine males. As we've seen from data from dating websites, Asian females have the easiest time, while African females have the most difficult time (quantified by number of messages received - only applies to females since males generally do the sending).

The particular pairing of Caucasian male/African female is probably surprising because the masculinity differential tends to be lower between these two group. That's not always the case, of course, but statistically speaking that's probably why some people are surprised. I would bet, though, that they would be more surprised if they saw an Asian male/African female pairing.
    Yeah, try to picture an American girl married to a traditional Asian guy, they'd both try to boss each other around. lol. I have seen American girls married to Asians though, but it seems very rare.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    They covered all the major bases.

What did we forget? indian? Middle Eastern? That seems to be the only two he or she missed.
    Both of these are technically caucasian. It's a broad group to be sure, and I suppose we could break it down a bit for better resolution but I don't think the hypothesis would change.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Indeed. NJ is a very diverse state. Which is likely why I have such a hard time tolerating intolerance. Coming from a very tolerant place, it is hard for me to accept/understand intolerance. I am surrounded by all types of people, so it's sometimes hard to understand people who don't live in such diverse places.
    Can't be all that tolerant if you are intolerant towards people with different views, can you? :P

It's kind of obvious - at least to me - why it's unusual.

In order from least to most -

Female femininity: African, Latino, Caucasian, Asian
    Male masculinity: Asian, Caucasian, Latino, African

Males tend to prefer feminine females while females tend to prefer masculine males. As we've seen from data from dating websites, Asian females have the easiest time, while African females have the most difficult time (quantified by number of messages received - only applies to females since males generally do the sending).

The particular pairing of Caucasian male/African female is probably surprising because the masculinity differential tends to be lower between these two group. That's not always the case, of course, but statistically speaking that's probably why some people are surprised. I would bet, though, that they would be more surprised if they saw an Asian male/African female pairing.
    you people always try to say black guys are more masculine, but from my experience... their faces really tend to look less masculine than a white guy. they usually have very soft eyes, with big eyelashes and subtle cheekbones.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...23/309/fa7.png vs http://images.mic.com/wuthncibj0phqr...qqbirqddaz.jpg

the white guy definitely looks more masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I have two relatives that married inter-racially (BM/WW and WM/NAW). Most of the reason is that my relatives primarily live in the mid-West where there is a very distinct lack of diversity.

My oldest son has had a history of diverse dating (my children were / are being raised in a very diverse area), but they haven't worked out to date. Who knows if one will work out in the future with any of my children (my daughter has more non-white friends than white friends).

I am sorry to hear that you and your wife still have to deal with bigots over this issue in this century...
    Actually we dont, it was just that one experience. Anything else is just people will stare at us for longer than usual, normally I stare back untill they look away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    If you're against your son or daughter being married to someone of a certain race then you're racist.
    Actually your not. The definition of RACIST is: Thinking or believing, and acting in a way, that another race is inferior to yours.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    Actually your not. The definition of RACIST is: Thinking or believing, and acting in a way, that another race is inferior to yours.
    Why would you have an issue with someone marrying or dating interacially?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't be all that tolerant if you are intolerant towards people with different views, can you? :P
    No, being intolerant of intolerant views in defense of tolerance is basic logic. The idea that being tolerant depends on supporting intolerance is an oxymoron.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Why would you have an issue with someone marrying or dating interacially?
    Maybe it is an issue of culture between two races?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    you people always try to say black guys are more masculine, but from my experience... their faces really tend to look less masculine than a white guy. they usually have very soft eyes, with big eyelashes and subtle cheekbones.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...23/309/fa7.png vs http://images.mic.com/wuthncibj0phqr...qqbirqddaz.jpg

the white guy definitely looks more masculine.
    There are always outliers. Most white males don't look anything like that.

Secondly, facial features aren't the only determinant of masculinity. Behavior, height, muscle mass, shoulder broadness, etc all play roles.

In general, Africans are more masculine than Caucasians.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, being intolerant of intolerant views in defense of tolerance is basic logic. The idea that being tolerant depends on supporting intolerance is an oxymoron.
    But what is intolerant and what isn't depends entirely on the people involved and to a large extent, culture. 50-60 years ago it was entirely normal to sterilize homosexuals in Sweden.

7+ Year Old Account
    I see it as people being intolerant of people who hold a different opinion, but go ahead and claim the high horse.

Common trend anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    But what is intolerant and what isn't depends entirely on the people involved and to a large extent, culture. 50-60 years ago it was entirely normal to sterilize homosexuals in Sweden.
    It being normal, has nothing to do with tolerance.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it is an issue of culture between two races?
    Culture and ethnicity are separable. It's generally lazy/unfair to judge someone's culture by their ethnicity.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would say tolerance isn't normal.

People instinctively are cautious of situations, faces, or locations they are unfamiliar with.

Basic survival.

Deleted
    Yes, it does. You can't be intolerant of the social norms if you're within it and perpetrating it. That's just normal behaviour in such a norm.

There are always outliers. Most white males don't look anything like that.

Secondly, facial features aren't the only determinant of masculinity. Behavior, height, muscle mass, shoulder broadness, etc all play roles.

In general, Africans are more masculine than Caucasians.
    eh, a bearded, viking-looking white guy will always be the most masculine form of male to me. i've never seen anyone that surpasses it. not even Mr. T.

7+ Year Old Account
    Culture and ethnicity are separable. It's generally lazy/unfair to judge someone's culture by their ethnicity.
    A little lazy. But what is the first thing you think of when you think of White / Black / Hispanic / Asian / Indian / Middle Eastern Culture?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    eh, a bearded, viking-looking white guy will always be the most masculine form of male to me. i've never seen anyone that surpasses it. not even Mr. T.
    Sure. But that doesn't mean that, on average, Caucasian males are more masculine.

Deleted
    If you like it, go for it. I would never date blacks since having a black instead of a white kid would be an unnecessary burden. That said, I dont want kids at all. Or a black wife. Or a wife at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    A little lazy. But what is the first thing you think of when you think of White / Black / Hispanic / Asian / Indian / Middle Eastern Culture?
    I don't think an argument to follow our instincts on the basis they they are our instincts is a good one.