Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    And since there was the marriage and there was the legitimacy from it and as such no reason for the Northern lords to do anything significant to the story, there was no reason to introduce them other than mentioning them as some background information. Problem solved, the amount of storylines reduced, issue of Northern lords taken care of. The story with Boltons can be focused on Stannis and wrapping it up. Sansa is reintroduced back to main plot. And I haven't said the story is good. I'm saying that crying that it being bad is caused by the authors trying to shoehorn more rape and planning it years in advance makes negative amount of sense.
    Why? That's exactly what they did. There was a huge, rich plot line to adapt in ADWD Winterfell. They were never going to get to adapt all of it, but they pretty much chose to adapt a single scene and it's build up/fall out. You still haven't explained why that scene was the rape scene, rather than the political intrigue (which Sansa could have been involved with as well if needs be). If the whole purpose of the marriage is to appease the northern lords, having no northern lords in Season 5 was a huge failure. It's telling us, not showing. The marriage was a part of the northern lord's plot line, not the other way around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reetuk View Post
    Only fascists can possibly think there is such a thing as ''not enough control over media and culture''.
    Whereas only a fool would think that "media and culture" exhibit enough self control...

There are women who enjoy being raped. This is why women need to have pepper spray or a handgun. I guess women just can't protect themselves anymore.

Im still trying to understand how depicting rape as a bad thing is some how also normalizing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Feminism is just a paranoid conspiracy theory that fabricates things like "patriarchy" and "rape culture" the same way other conspiracy theorists invent "reptilian illuminati" and "zionist FEMA camps"

It's almost comical that sex-negative religious groups are starting to borrow feminist ideas to support their own regressive ideas

Stop being rude to lizard people Xarim! They also have feelings and we cannot discriminate against them.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Also this. The scene was kinda more about Theon than Sansa, which is why the camera was on him. And in-universe, that was the shocking part. Not Ramsay having sex with his newly wed wife. That was expected, even by Sansa. But having someone watch, especially someone close to said wife (at least in the past), that was deviation from the norms of Westeros.
    I get why they did the whole Sansa plot. It also made us feel for her as she was resigned to this happening but at the same time she was trying to find a way out. The plot line makes sense for the TV show in my eyes as it makes us hate Ramsay more, and want to see an end to the boltons and their plans.

Theon also got some character development as I said earlier and we can see that he's decided to try and help Sansa in part making up for his earlier actions that he admits he was wrong to do as he knows his real family was the starks.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Where does Tyrion get the idea that it's rape if he sleeps with Sansa then? He's pretty passionate about it. Did he singlehandedly come up with the concept of marital rape? And in the books there is more evidence - Aerys' treatment of his wife as you say (the Kingsguard also stood by as he burned people to death), Robert's guilt after he forces himself on Cersei, the northern lord's anger at Farya's treatment. Marriage in Westeros clearly does not give you a license to treat your wife however you like.
    Hmmmm. What were the relations between Starks and Lannisters at that point? Oh, right, they were fucking atrocious. Around the time of their marriage Robb was killed. Tyrion didn't want to have sex with someone who hated him and his entire family. Totes proves your point. And what about Kingsguard standing by as he burned people? He burned people he considered traitors, his right to do so as a king. Again, the reason why they commented about his wife was because he hurt her. Which they could hear. They weren't actually in the room where they could witness if she consented or not. They only heard that he was way too rough. Same with Northern lords. Ramsay is a sadistic monster, he physically hurt Jeyne.

As for word of god, I try to respect word of god but in this case the director (who isn't the final auteur anyway) said something that directly contradicted what we actually saw on screen. If Jaime murdered someone and the director claimed it wasn't murder, would we have to accept that as canon? Do we have to accept it as canon that Cersei wasn't raped even if that's what we saw? And if so, what kind of show is this, where the people in charge think that a woman struggling and protesting as a man forces himself on her isn't rape?
    Murder is a terrible example, because it's only one type of killing. Maybe him killing that person was actually legal. Same with sex. They say she consented in the end, then she did consent. Not their problem you can't deal with it.

The Khal Drogo scene was written as a rape. The Jaime/Cersei scene was not written as a rape which begs the question of what the hell kind of people are running the show if they can think that the scene didn't look like rape. That was the controversy. Not merely that rape was present in the plot.
    To you Sansa deciding to get married to Ramsay knowing full well that she'll have sex with him afterwards, when she had multiple ways out of the marriage, be it offered by Littlefinger himself, or by Brienne, was also a controversy and it made you disgusted that people disagreed with your rape culture. So excuse me if I don't take your complaints on what exactly is an issue here (not that one exists) seriously.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-04-27 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksight View Post
    Whereas only a fool would think that "media and culture" exhibit enough self control...
    But I don`t care. I want to see it all. Zero restraints for media, culture and expression of artistic integrity.

So yeah this is what I'm talking about. Game of Thrones brings all the rape apologists out of the wood work.
    And the eternally offended conspiracy theorists too, apparently.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I think Game of Thrones is promoting Dragon Culture. We need to put a stop to this!

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ugh. That's still rape. She didn't want to have sex with him. In this case because of the location and recent events. But she still didn't want to have sex with him and she forced himself upon her. Rape.

So yeah this is what I'm talking about. Game of Thrones brings all the rape apologists out of the wood work.
    So? In the context of the setting its part of that world? Should we just have no female main characters because nothing negative can ever happen to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

And the eternally offended conspiracy theorists too, apparently.
    don't you get it disagreeing with rape culture as an idea proves it s existence, its the circular logic that makes it so perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

simple question for the proponents of the existence or rape culture. What evidence would prove you wrong, what could be presented if it exists that would make you think rape culture isn't real?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I think Game of Thrones is promoting Dragon Culture. We need to put a stop to this!
    Yes and throw out kids from a high towers culture.... free the slave culure and everything is permitted to get a uncomfortable chair of sword cultur....

Deleted
    If anything GoT shows how horrific sexual assault is, that's surely going to discourage it

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    don't you get it disagreeing with rape culture as an idea proves it s existence, its the circular logic that makes it so perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

simple question for the proponents of the existence or rape culture. What evidence would prove you wrong, what could be presented if it exists that would make you think rape culture isn't real?
    The existence of Rape Culture is not really at issue IMHO.

This sort of lazy accusations against the books and show essentially makes it impossible to write interesting female characters, which is why there are so few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Game of Thrones promotes drinking alcohol culture!

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPf-sXqMb90

Deleted
    I always find it odd when people watch a show with a disclaimer saying WARNING THIS SHOW HAS SCENES OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE then complain because it has scenes of sexual violence

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Yes and throw out kids from a high towers culture.... free the slave culure and everything is permitted to get a uncomfortable chair of sword cultur....
    Those sword chairs are no joke, you could poke an eye out!

Why? That's exactly what they did. There was a huge, rich plot line to adapt in ADWD Winterfell. They were never going to get to adapt all of it, but they pretty much chose to adapt a single scene and it's build up/fall out. You still haven't explained why that scene was the rape scene, rather than the political intrigue (which Sansa could have been involved with as well if needs be). If the whole purpose of the marriage is to appease the northern lords, having no northern lords in Season 5 was a huge failure. It's telling us, not showing. The marriage was a part of the northern lord's plot line, not the other way around.
    Are you seriously claiming that planning rape scene for years just for the sake of it is exactly what they did? If that's the case, you're beyond help. They scrapped most of the northern storyline. Including Stannis the Mannis Baratheon, in case you've missed it. Which makes the Northern lords obsolete. No political meandering between various factions, no Karstarks betraying Stannis, no Boltons needing the Northern lords to unite against Stannis. The marriage is in-universe justification for it being scrapped, by only mentioning it. Which part of it can't you fucking understand? And which part of "I'm not saying the story is good" is supposed to be countered by "It's telling us, not showing"? No shit. Not the first time they've done it.

And I have explained it in the thread when it was current, as did plenty other people. But you were too busy covering your ears and repeating your "muh rape culture" whining ad nauseum to register it. The scene was more about Theon than Sansa. Ramsay wanted to humilate Theon even more, but by doing so with someone Theon cared about and who still saw Theon in him achieved the opposite effect. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for Theon. Which could be seen by his expression changing. Because he was the person the camera *gasp* focused on at the time. Weirdly enough, they haven't shifted the camera away when other rapes have been portrayed. Gee, I wonder why they did so there. 'Tis a mystery.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-04-27 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    The existence of Rape Culture is not really at issue IMHO.

This sort of lazy accusations against the books and show essentially makes it impossible to write interesting female characters, which is why there are so few.
    I think I said something like this about a year ago in another thread. Why would someone making a TV show risk having interesting female characters when you never know when it might cause a backlash.