Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    So I am guessing they were not talking about white males, as we have had those for a while now.
    The post you quoted here is him talking in response to someone referring to firearm violence in general in the US. He's correct, the data shows that the overwhelming majority of firearm violence, and violent crime in general, is restricted to certain areas and certain demographics. Outside these areas and demographics, the crime rate shrinks immensely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    When we want to move away from that image.
    Who is this "we" you speak of? Owning firearms is normal, a very large chunk of the population does own firearms.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    They, literally all, use because comfort, already said that.
    So high capacity detachable magazines. That's a comfort thing?

Pistol grips help shooters to have a better grip, particularly while mobile.

Barrel shrouds allow for constant rapid fire without burning your hands. This makes a weapon more effective in situations where constant rapid fire is necessary.

Collapsible stocks allow for better concealment of the weapon. Also better use in close quarter combat.

These are not cosmetic items, and they absolutely increase the effectiveness of shooters in combat type situations. Which is why the military uses them.
    Eat yo vegetables

And kids compare schools to prisons....

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Excessively armed security guards does lead to the "normalization of a militarized police state culture," which leads to the general thought that guns are normal, owning a gun is normal, thus using a gun is normal. When we want to move away from that image.

And Security Guards won't "stop" school shootings, they end them faster. But I haven't yet witnessed a school shooting where the shooter had any intention of getting away with it. That kinda fatalism is only stopped preemptively. So I guess you could say that guards stop massacres, but there will still be shootings and killings.

But universally tougher gun control laws is a statement on culture, and the direction we want it to take. Ultimately I think we can all agree that we would prefer less guns on the streets, less fatal crime, and an overall safer Country. I understand navigating to that inside the current reality is difficult...but the way some talk about guns, it's only a step away from a Wild West where everyone is armed all the time and disputes are settled before any Police have a chance to respond.

Some time ago America stopped dreaming about what the world could/should be, and became way more focused on fearing what it might be. And I think that fear is turning into a self perpetuating prophecy.
    An armed society is a polite society. Regardless, gun ownership is primarily about protecting the PEOPLE from the GOVERNMENT, and it'll be a cold day in hell before what your proposing goes through in America.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Yes. Please fix the title. Because I'm sure we'll have dozens of pedants crying about this term.

And don't change it to "assault weapon", because then they'll cry about how it's a made-up term.
    Like the left wingers do when they are all called Communist .
    Or when Right wingers are called Nazi/Tyrants.

Doesn't make it any less wrong to call something the wrong name, get your facts straight THEN make your point.
    It makes it "appear" that you have more than 2 seconds of knowledge and research invested in a subject, rather than working off opinion and feelz.

On topic.

It is locked in a vehicle..just like the cops would have if they were on campus rolling up for a "call".

There just in case the gun free zone isn't observed by someone willing and intent on doing harm.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-04-27 at 04:01 PM.

Who is this "we" you speak of? Owning firearms is normal, a very large chunk of the population does own firearms.
    Yeah I don't know where that guy lives but it is pretty normal, at least in very large parts of the US. Many people own guns especially for self defense in their home, when the difference between life and death is shorter than the response time of the police.

Quote Originally Posted by p291u View Post
    Yeah I don't know where that guy lives but it is pretty normal, at least in very large parts of the US. Many people own guns especially for self defense in their home, when the difference between life and death is shorter than the response time of the police.
    The anti-gun argument is silly in nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Like the left wingers do when they are all called Communist .
    Or when Right wingers are called Nazi/Tyrants.

Doesn't make it any less wrong to call something the wrong name, get your facts straight THEN make your point.
    It makes it "appear" that you have more than 2 seconds of knowledge and research invested in a subject, rather than working off opinion and feelz.

On topic.

It is locked in a vehicle..just like the cops would have if they were on campus rolling up for a "call".

There just in case the gun free zone isn't observed by someone willing and intent on doing harm.
    An incorrect label is, by its very definition, incorrect.

P.S. Anyways, I have to go. TTYL!

10+ Year Old Account
    not a restriction of "assault weapon", we have already be over this. You can stick a 100 round drum magazine in a mini-14, or a 50 round drum in an M1A (semi auto M14), it doesn't magically become an assault weapon.

That one is 100% not true...
    Barrel shrouds allow for constant rapid fire without burning your hands. This makes a weapon more effective in situations where constant rapid fire is necessary.
    Barrel shrouds cover the top of the barrel, there is almost no circumstance where anyone would ever touch it anyways, actual barrel shrouds aren't really used anymore, methinks you are confusing this with a simple handguard, which exist on just about every rifle ever, even bolt action.

Collapsible stocks allow for better concealment of the weapon. Also better use in close quarter combat
    Folding stocks can provide better concealment, and almost no military uses them, in the rare case that they do it's for storage. Collapsable stocks? If you want to argue that a whole 3.5 inches of difference in stock length (the collapse distance of an AR-15/M4 style stock) is going to make a 40+ inch rifle noticeably easier to conceal, you are far beyond irrational... Barrel length is the only real thing that will effect CQB efficiency.

These are not cosmetic items, and they absolutely increase the effectiveness of shooters in combat type situations. Which is why the military uses them.
    They are cosmetic in the danger they provide, which is none. Unless you have actually ever handled a firearm, you have no clue, at all, and you clearly haven't.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-04-27 at 04:29 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    An armed society is a polite society. Regardless, gun ownership is primarily about protecting the PEOPLE from the GOVERNMENT, and it'll be a cold day in hell before what your proposing goes through in America.
    That's just what is sad about it all...so much of the conversation is about fear.

I own a gun because I'm afraid that:
    The Government might take my freedoms
    A Thief might break into my house
    I might get harassed on the street
    etc.

Even your "polite society" example suggests that people are polite only out of fear of potentially fatal repercussions.
    Out of all the gun owners i've known, only a few have said "I own a gun because I enjoy hunting, and it provides food for the family."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Is this one of those things that people think is wise? It sounds like something that would even cause a fortune cookie maker to cringe

Every rifle is an assault rifle for these fucking retards. Apart for that, I think they should arm the guards with sticks, they offer great protection against criminals armed with "assault rifles".

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    lol

Let's see, in all of the school shootings across the US, this would have helped in exactly zero of them.

But the gun manufacturers like Bushmaster Firearms International LLC (and their corporate owners Freedom Group) are becoming happier every day as the fear-mongering continues.

Yeah I know it's relatively normal. But I ment as normal as owning a car, every teen expects to start driving @ 16. As normal as having a cell phone, or watching TV. It's just a thing you assume everyone has (and everyone probably does). When something is that normal, then it's as easy to think about using as, say, a baseball bat when you get angry.

I'm not wholly anti-gun, I've considered getting one for home defense myself, but I'm just saying that there is gotta be a better response than Escalation, or we aren't trying to make a better society. If escalation is our only response then the logical conclusion to that, as I see it, is the very Big Brother militarized control of society that most gun owners are so against. I guess the only difference is they can shoot back too....then what Civil War? Constant shootouts over property disputes?

Deleted
    so let me get this right.

What they are actually providing a semi-automatic (one trigger pull, one bullet) to officers which have them locked securely in the cars , not in the actual school premiss, only to be deployed in an emergency situation.

They are not actually giving Assault Riffles (one trigger pull, multiple bullets) to officers to carry round the school premises as a standard issue weapon ?

The former is not an issue by any means, The latter would not really bother me either if I was under their protection, either way thread title is very misleading.

Yes. Please fix the title. Because I'm sure we'll have dozens of pedants crying about this term.

And don't change it to "assault weapon", because then they'll cry about how it's a made-up term.
    Words have meanings. Assault rifle makes people think machine gun, not standard everyday normal rifle but painted black.

Collapsible stocks allow for better concealment of the weapon. Also better use in close quarter combat.

Thank you for elaborating on how little you know of firearms.

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature

In other words, it makes the operator of said weapon more effective.

So not just cosmetic. Got it.
    This is hardly the point he's trying to make anyway. Just because a semi-auto rifle has an attachment that helps prevent burning yourself, does not mean that it is an assault rifle.

No matter how many gadgets your throw onto a non assault rifle, it will never be an assault rifle.

From wiki:

Assault rifle:
    "An assault rifle is a fully automatic selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine"

Hold trigger, gun goes bang bang bang bang. These are the ones used by a military.

Semi auto
    "A semi-automatic, or self-loading, firearm is one that performs all steps necessary to prepare it to discharge again after firing"

Hold trigger, gun goes bang....until you release the trigger, and squeeze it again. And no amount of collapsible stocks, grips, optics, flash lights, laser sights, whatever is going to change that.

Edit:

Just for good measure, from that same wiki:

"Semi-automatic-only rifles like variants of the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities."
    Last edited by WhiteFlagofWar; 2016-04-27 at 04:33 PM.

The military doesn't even use those huge banana clips because they jam.

Controlling where bullets go is a safety issue, in addition to a weapon performance issue. Are you saying you want the shooters to lose control of where the bullets fly?

You aren't supposed to touch the metal part of the gun, you can remove the oil and rust it. The shroud isn't intended to be grabbed, its intended to keep you from burning yourself on accident, which could lead to the weapon being misfired.

Handguns will put a hole in your head just as much, and can be concealed better.

None of these items makes a gun more dangerous, and some of them make it safer. It's rare that you see someone ignorantly dig in to "assault weapon" hype, even after the correct information has been presented to them. Bravo.

10+ Year Old Account
    not a restriction of "assault weapon", we have already be over this. You can stick a 100 round drum magazine in a mini-14, or a 50 round drum in an M14, it doesn't magically become an assault weapon.
    No feature by itself is a "restriction of assault weapon." It's the addition of several items at once.

A high capacity detachable magazine is absolutely a feature of assault weapons. And they're most definitely not cosmetic.

That one is 100% not true...
    Of course it's true. It's 100% true. Pistol grips help the user stabilize the firearm. Plus, they allow you to keep your palm on the grip while performing other critical functions. A straight stock simply doesn't allow that.

Barrel shrouds cover the top of the barrel
    This is just flat out false. Barrel shrouds are capable of completely encircling a firearm barrel. Maybe you should do more research.

And what I said previously stands. Rapid firing for long periods of time without burning yourself is an advantage.

Folding stocks can provide better concealment
    Both folding and collapsible stocks are features of assault weapons. And yes, both provide an advantage.

They are cosmetic in the danger they provide
    That doesn't make any sense. The term "cosmetic" has nothing to do with danger. The items are either cosmetic, or they're not.

Spoiler alert. They're not.
    Eat yo vegetables