Poll: Best timeperiod for WoW?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    PvP - Wrath
    Questing/Environment - WoD and Cata
    PvE - BC or Wrath
    Leveling experience/social interaction/world pvp/overall wonder - Vanilla and BC
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Classic for starting the journey
    LK for the music
    Cata for Vashj'ir
    Pandaria for the lore and content
    WoD for the design of the world

I wasn't crazy about BC. Netherstorm was visually interesting I guess.

I said WOTLK because that's kind of in the middle of the two journeys, one from bad to good (game polish and features etc.) and one from good to bad (feelings of "living" in the world, inclusiveness, community, etc.)

It wasn't perfect, but the bad had gotten pretty good and the good had not gotten unbearably bad.

10-player social raiding of Ulduar was probably the peak for enjoyment of the game for me, though the first days of Vanilla spent in the endless wonder and discovery and making new real friends can never be beat (or recreated most likely).

Part of the vanilla magic was the feeling that "Oh my god this is so amazing, can you imagine what will come next after this game?" and amazingly nothing ever came next even though so many companies tried (and failed) over the next few years.

LOL saying that BC was more difficult than MoP or Wrath? In what manner, the raids certainly weren't harder, leveling might have been because BC leveling is COMPLETE ASS, the story was difficult to follow (they never did explain why we had to go and kill Illidan well).

Best time period for me personally was Wrath because it was the height of end game raiding for me with a guild I loved, though if my current guild sticks together Legion could very easily take the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Panadas was the best time for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

7+ Year Old Account
    hard to decide between wrath and mop T_T

Formerly known as Arafal

I really only think cata and WoD are the bad ones. MoP gets a lot of crap but content wise it was really good.

Wrath >= TBC = MoP > Vanilla > Cata

Deleted
    WotLK was by far the best for me.
    Class fantasy explored in depth, great class design, wonderful memorable zones, amazing music that I still enjoy and gives chills, the most badass villain of all time that you would actually meet while leveling and not only in his raid, you could feel the LK's influence literally everywhere, great aesthetics, every corner of Northrend can be explored, the continent was vast and immense, you could visit areas that were crowded and areas that made you feel the chill of death, it would hide many mysteries, from the weird titanic caves and relics to the underground cults, amazing dungeons, accessible content (I'm not a hardcore raider myself, and I enjoyed being able to get my hands on some of the goodies available to raiders, like the T9 sets), amazing art, etc. The list can keep going.

• Vanilla: I didn't play vanilla, can't say much.
    • TBC: I only played during late TBC, LK launched when I was still in Zangarmash. Seems amazing, great story. However I *think* LK was a bit better.
    • Cata: I loved cata, Tol'Barad was my favorite place to pvp and do dailies, returning to Azeroth was fun, Deathwing was a badass villain and the End Time dungeons were very nice, I loved exploring bits of the Well of Eternity story.
    • MoP: When I first heard Blizzard registered "Mists of Pandaria", I though it was a comic or something, couldn't be real for an xpac. I only enjoyed 5.4, but disliked everything else. The zones were awful, killing monkeys in Jade Forest and pulling turnips in Valley of the Four Winds, was such a disappointment after having killed the Lich King and the Destroyer. I stopped hordes of undead and saved the world from destruction just to plant herbs in farms and kill monkeys and wasps? The aesthetics of the zones didn't appeal to me, the dungeons felt disconnected from the story and the "silly" music of some places destroyed any epicness, the neutral-evolving-to-evil villain isn't that cool, and I didn't enjoy politics. That being said, MoP introduced great features, the monk class is cool, scenarios were great and it is said that they added a lot of content, unlike Cata.
    • WoD: I have mixed feelings about WoD. I never liked the idea of garrisons, they were supposed to be optional at first but became mandatory later on, which destroyed everything. The zones are awesome, I love Draenei and demons. I don't like the multiplanar stories however. Planar travelling is a cool idea, but saving the galaxy from an interstellar threat is just too much, there is the risk of the ending being unsatisfying, like it was for me in 6.2 It's too far away from the big bad villain and very easy to screw up.

On a side note, I think that facing a big threat that has come to destroy your homeland is cool, but trying to save the whole galaxy from the interdimensional threat, well, it's too much. Let's hope they don't continue that road in Legion and later on.
    Last edited by mmoc985e663195; 2016-04-27 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynzie View Post
    Difficulty mean the overall challenge that the said expansion has to offer, not the pinnacle of it, and mop was easy as were all expansions since TBC
    TBC and vanilla content was easy if you took 5 min of your time to look at sites and had competent players. The difficulty in TBC and Vanilla was a lack of effort on most players part. The difficulty was getting people and getting the correct class/specs nothing more. The actual fights unless tuned to be the most insane gear checks ever weren't that bad and so few even did them. BC was easy and so was vanilla compared to the challenge today's dungeons and raids provide, most players sucked and the information pool was little smaller, but anyone with common sense knew about thottbot and Tentonhammer and the other sites, just most players weren't "teh hardcorez" like every player thinks they are from Wrath forward as information grew and the number of competent players grew. Trust me I had some total fools in my Vanilla/BC/Wrath era raids and dungeons who wouldn't make it 10 feet into a heroic or mythic raid these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted for Wrath. I started in Wrath, and like most people, they'd when I enjoyed the game the most.

Vanilla through the Burning Crusade and Mists. To me, Cataclysm and Warlords were disasters, and Wrath, while an enjoyable expansion, wasn't on par with the Classic/BC/Mists versions.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    WOTLK was by far the golden days, 12.5 subscribers, content everyone was able to enjoy rather htan a single percentage.

Theres really nothing else for it.
    12.5 subs lel

Deleted
    Wotlk/MoP > Vanilla >> Cata/TBC/WoD

Wotlk was a great add-on in itself, the theme and zones were amazing. I also had a lot of fun with friends.
    MoP was the best expansion in itself for me; a huge amount of things to do and so much more than in any add-on before. Raids and zones were awesome too.
    Vanilla because it felt epic and new, and had it's own appeal.

Cata, TBC and WoD don't have anything that makes them shine compared to the other three. Especially TBC and WoD had an awful theme on top of it.

[QUOTE=McNeil;40036276]Its hard to believe MoP has so many votes, I don't see why its considered to be so good here. /QUOTE]

MoP was horrible, but I feel it's considered better than it was because Cata was so horrible and people are comparing it to that. Also, it's part of the era where most of the new players started playing, never having experienced the true old world.

For me, It's definitely TBC - early WotLK. There was lots to do and you had to actually do it to advance. It took time, dedication, and effort while not being overly brutal to go through. In TBC, having a few alts was an accomplishment. If you didn't see all the content, that's because you didn't put in any effort. I'd say Ulduar was one of the peak raids ever, having modes to make it more challenging without the artificial "Just flip a switch" of today that adds nothing new, just a more health and more damage from a boss.

Gone are those days though, which is a damn shame.

I'm surprised so many people voted for WoD, damn.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    2 = so many?

Well, considering it's about WoD...
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

The best time period for WoW objectively, would be Classic to Wrath. That is the "Golden Age" of World of Warcraft. It's the only era where Blizzard focused more on making a great game for Warcraft fans than about making money. Everything after has been more about money than anything else, hence why it's been inferior.

Cata destroyed the original world and started the mass-streamlining, Pandaria was a renaissance of sorts but still inferior to the Golden Age, and WoD was hot garbage.

Do I think Legion can surpass the "Golden Age"? Abso-fucking-lutely not. Not unless all the other original players come back, and the entire philosophy governing the game is reverted to the original superior philosophy.

I didn't play in Vanilla, I felt TBC was alright, but not my thing. I enjoyed Wrath due to its accessibility, and its lore, I wasn't as keen on Cata as there wasn't much to do for players like myself who aren't the best players, I enjoyed MoP as there was a huge variety of content for me, I hated WoD as there was virtually nothing at max level.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Its even more stupid that Legion has 14 votes while it isn't even out yet...