Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    SWTOR is an amazing story-driven MMO. As for TSW, I played that game 10 years ago and it wasn't story driven at all, I mean, it was like WoW, just normal day to day quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    SWTOR is an amazing story-driven MMO. As for TSW, I played that game 10 years ago and it wasn't story driven at all, I mean, it was like WoW, just normal day to day quests.
    Erm...TSW was released in 2012, it's barely 4 years old. And while you can repeat all the quests it's easily one of the most, if not the most, story driven MMO on the market. There's so much lore and backstory through both quest cutscenes and voiced NPC dialogue. Are you thinking of a different game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Erm...TSW was released in 2012, it's barely 4 years old. And while you can repeat all the quests it's easily one of the most, if not the most, story driven MMO on the market. There's so much lore and backstory through both quest cutscenes and voiced NPC dialogue. Are you thinking of a different game?
    Ohhh could be yeah, there was this free MMO back then when WoW was either in Classic or TBC era, not sure, but I think it was called The Sacred World? I know there was some free to play MMO called something like that, with some animal characters?

Yeah, just saw that Secret World is quite new, hmm, really not sure what that game was called now.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't even find the game I was thinking of, it's like it doesn't exist :O They had to change the name or something or was the company called Sacred world or something? I'm totally lost, but I know there was some MMO back then with those words

EDIT: It was the Perfect World I was thinking of, not Sacred World. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    EDIT: It was the Perfect World I was thinking of, not Sacred World. :P
    Ah, Perfect World International. Yeah, that's quite an old game, though still around and just released on Steam (and getting content updates).

I Think what OP is looking for is specifically a game that does not currently exist. So Secret World and SWTOR are not answers, sorry.

It sounds like what he wants is a new kind of Genre mashup, mixed with great well written lore and world building, a Player driven economy and political structure similar to EVE, but yet still have a narrative story like SWTOR. Finally, to top it off, a game engine and systems that aren't focused on combat as the #1 priority, yet so immersive that you want to explore new parts of the world, or work your way up a professions guild with an immersive crafting system (unlike anything we've ever seen, so don't try to guess), or conscript into the military if you so please, or even be involved solely in the games politics. Whatever you want to do, but it is a game that isn't 90% "Kill X, Loot X"

To me, that sounds like a game thats a few generations beyond next gen MMO's. More like Sword Art Online stuff where developers are literally world building, practically creating Virtual simulations of the real world in a fantasy/sci-fi setting.

I mean...for revolutionary crafting...you could imagine a system that involves Deep Learning and AI advancements. So that players can literally discover new materials and recipes, because something like Bronze isn't coded into the game, just copper and Iron, and players have to discover how to make it, in the process teaching the game how its made.

You're right, what OP is asking for is not just story but pretty much all of the above. It's not that devs lack of creativity, I think it has more to do with budget and time.

I'm actualy pretty partial to ESO nowadays. its very story driven MMO where not only you have a personal story, but there is a general world story arc that is ongoing through the zones as you progress, as well as smaller story arcs within those zones.

of course its also quasi medieval fantasy, but hey...

I actualy found secret world story to be.. ok? its non interactive cut-scenes here and there, but gameplay feels almost.... removed from the story.

if I were to rate them on a basis of how story driven they are AND my personal opinion on quality of the story, I'd say

ESO>SWTOR>TSW

incidentally.. WoW IS story driven. its just becasue that story is in written text, people tend to just skip right over it and then complain how wow has no story. it DOES. it gets disjointed at times, bit its there.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2016-04-28 at 12:29 AM.