Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/0...100604751.html

Israeli forces have shot and killed two Palestinians as they allegedly attempted to stab soldiers at a checkpoint between occupied East Jerusalem and the rest of the West Bank.

The troops fatally shot 23-year-old Maram Saleh Hassan Abu Ismail and her younger brother Ibrahim, 16, at the Qalandia military checkpoint between the central West Bank city of Ramallah and East Jerusalem, according to the Palestinian Authority's Ministry of Health.

Has Israeli society failed to confront its intolerance?
    Speaking to Al Jazeera, Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the pair were "armed with knives" and "came towards the border guards" to attack them.

After the incident, Israeli forces fired tear gas and sound grenades during clashes with Palestinian youth.

Since October 1, increased tensions in the occupied Palestinian territories and Israel have boiled over into violence.

Throughout that period, Israeli forces and illegal settlers have killed at least 209 Palestinians, including alleged attackers and protesters, according to the Palestinian health ministry.

Meanwhile, at least 29 Israelis were killed in shooting and stabbing attacks carried out by Palestinians, says Israel's ministry of foreign affairs.

'Extrajudicial killings'

Ramy Abdu, director of the Gaza-based Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor, criticised the Palestinian government's inaction after six months of escalated violence.

"In many incidents, they [Israeli soldiers] actually committed extrajudicial killings, particularly at checkpoints and military points," he told Al Jazeera.

READ MORE: 'There's always an Intifada inside the prisons'

"People still believe that the Intifada should be escalated to the next level," Abdu said. "But they are frustrated with the current situation, the international community and their own government over Israel's systematic, structural violence."

More than half a million Jewish Israelis already live in more than 150 Jewish-only settlements across the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, while Israeli military forces have erected several dozen checkpoints impeding Palestinians' ability to move freely.

Several Palestinian political parties, including Hamas and the leftist Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, have blasted the PA's security cooperation with Israeli forces throughout the ongoing uprising.

"The only way out of the current national impasse is if the PA showed political will to reconcile with its national partners and not with the Israeli occupation," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement on Tuesday.

When will these fella learn, you don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Kudos to the IDF, they killed two monsters who may have eventually targeted civilians.

Yup the IDF is no joke.

As a matter of fact my final report in my Homeland Security class last week was on the IDF.

Deleted
    If you try to fuck with armed soldiers you should know what to expect.

This is also why it confuses me that pro-gun owners argue "why don't we ban knives since people can kill with them too?"

This is why :P

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Yup the IDF is no joke.

As a matter of fact my final report in my Homeland Security class last week was on the IDF.
    I imagine it will be a good report.

The only time IDF loses is when they try to incorporate a western style ROE.

LEt them go in and handle business....they fuck shit up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    This is also why it confuses me that pro-gun owners argue "why don't we ban knives since people can kill with them too?"

They mostly say it sarcastically, not as an actual argument.

That being said, bladed weapons are very effective against anyone without a gun, so the argument isn't entirely without point, if guns were banned everyone looking to defend themselves, or harm others, would use a blade of some sort.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

I fail to see how that's relevant in regards to this article...

Anyway, don't want this to turn in to another 'Ban Guns' thread, but it serves them right for attacking the IDF. It makes me wonder what they thought would happen if they attacked them with a knife...

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    If you try to fuck with armed soldiers you should know what to expect.
    yeah they arent cops, they dgaf about "rights". serves the attackers right

edit: sounded sarcastic, wasn't
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

15+ Year Old Account
    a well placed knife > gun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Dixon View Post
    In some very specific situations... Generally, no.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-04-27 at 10:44 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted

Sure, I will have an M4 rifle and you charge me and my mates while you are armed with a knife and lets see how that works out. The 21 feet rule only applies to holstered pistols, you can flick the safety off a charged rifle faster than you can say the word "knife".

if the cop loosens his grip on that gun just a little he could shift it to be at an angle to put a bullet in that dudes shoulder, or at least buzz a couple past his ear.

Just comin from a never give up mindset
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    if the cop loosens his grip on that gun just a little he could shift it to be at an angle to put a bullet in that dudes shoulder, or at least buzz a couple past his ear.

Just comin from a never give up mindset
    He doesn't even have to loosen his grip, he could easily turn his wrist enough to shoot the guy in the chest.

Unless you are some stealthy super badass or fast enough to get in stabby stabby range before the armed guards starts shooting, bringing knives to a gunfights is probably not the brightest idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, I will have an M4 rifle and you charge me and my mates while you are armed with a knife and lets see how that works out. The 21 feet rule only applies to holstered pistols, you can flick the safety off a charged rifle faster than you can say the word "knife".
    no need for me to charge at you.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    They mostly say it sarcastically, not as an actual argument.

That being said, bladed weapons are very effective against anyone without a gun, so the argument isn't entirely without point, if guns were banned everyone looking to defend themselves, or harm others, would use a blade of some sort.
    A pointed stick is effective against someone without a Weapons. False equivalencies are everywhere when people argue the knife to gun thing.

Deleted
    no need for me to charge at you.

You got me there, maybe we should start issuing body armour and helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    In some very specific situations... Generally, no.
    Almost any situation where a knife is within a 21 foot range will be in favor of the knife. "21 Foot Rule" is a real thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I imagine it will be a good report.

The only time IDF loses is when they try to incorporate a western style ROE.

LEt them go in and handle business....they fuck shit up.
    Well my instructor must have thought so, I got a 95. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen quite a few videos of these knife attacks and they always end the same. Dunno what they're expecting will happen

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Almost any situation where a knife is within a 21 foot range will be in favor of the knife. "21 Foot Rule" is a real thing.
    I think I know who to take seriously.