Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Glad you don't have fat people in Canada to worry about!
    Oh...you do?
    Here...when ALL ...every last one ...of your Canadian citizens is 100% at "BMI" ...we can talk.
    Until then, you are nation bashing ...in a not so sly way.
    Glad it amuses you to attempt to be so clever though.

Worry about the "wolves" in your chicken coup before you worry about your neighbors.
    We do have them in Canada. I am extremely worried about the situation here as well. It doesn't mean I can't post a thread about non Canadians as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    I see it when I look at my sister. She's consuming toasties all day, hates green and red food, and keeps drinking Soda.

Now she has elephant thighs. So I gave her a stationary bike for exercise.... and I'm the only one who uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No it has to do with simply eating and drinking too much. Calories in calories out buddy.

Fats and oils have far more calories than most things, which is where the stigma develops, but a lot of people get a shit ton of empty calories... They drink several cans of normal soda a day, hundreds of calories from something of zero nutritional value.

Then the big problem with us is that a lot of us suck with portion control/self-control... Instead of eating a cheeseburger for dinner they eat three of them... Instead of eating a slice or two of pizza they eat an entire pizza.

Its not even about eating healthy or avoiding certain things... If you consume less calories than you burn, you will not gain weight, its that simple. Sure if all you eat are candy and potato chips, even if you don't gain any weight, other bad shit is going to happen to you... But the problem in the US is that we just eat and drink so much, not that we eat the wrong things.
    Not for fat/obese people. The fatter you get, the more estrogenic you get and you also develop insulin resistance from chugging in so many carbs. Fats are more calorically dense than carbs, that's true, however, they also have a higher satiety rating than carbs. At the end of the day, you can eat 3 packs of chips without a problem but 2-3 spoons of peanut butter immediately kill your cravings.

Carbs are not evil and you deffinetely need them during the day but the question is what kind of carbs and in what quantity. If you are sedentary you don't need 300-400 grams of carbs a day and you certainly don't need them from bread, white pasta or candy but in stead from oats, fruits and brown rice.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Personal responsibility applies to all people right? Citizens United confirmed corporations are people. Therefore: corporations are as responsible for selling us garbage as we are for buying it.
    That's absurd, that isn't remotely the same thing. If I take a pencil and stab you in the eye, do you sue the pencil maker? Learn the difference

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    Ofc.
    I' would have to do Insanity Workout plus walking in order to eat 3000k (I'm 170-180lbs or so).

But I'm pretty sure a person who eats 3000 calories doesn't do that kind of exercise every day (ofc, there's some people who do, but we're talking about your average Joe, no?)
    It really depends on your makeup. a 2000 calorie diet is a big difference between a big burley lumberjack and a petite girl

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It really depends on your makeup. a 2000 calorie diet is a big difference between a big burley lumberjack and a petite girl
    Hence the "(I'm 170-180lbs or so)" part of my post :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard Illuminati View Post
    I see it when I look at my sister. She's consuming toasties all day, hates green and red food, and keeps drinking Soda.

Now she has elephant thighs. So I gave her a stationary bike for exercise.... and I'm the only one who uses it.
    Wow that sucks. Isn't she worried about her future?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.vox.com/2016/4/26/1149020...morbidly-obese

This crisis has no end. It's time to look into extreme measures.
    Please. We need extreme measures for an endless amount of problems. Our failing infrastructure, our terrible tax code, our depressing electoral college just to name a few. A few weak willed adults that can't properly teach their children how to live a healthy lifestyle is not something I'd say needs "extreme measures."

If anything, what really needs extreme measures is education in the United States. Perhaps then the breeders won't be too stupid to teach their children how to walk a mile.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Oh look. Another tennisace thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    That's absurd, that isn't remotely the same thing. If I take a pencil and stab you in the eye, do you sue the pencil maker? Learn the difference
    No, THAT is not even remotely the same thing. Pencils are not designed to be used as weapons, so you are miusing the pencil. Fast food is barely a step up from garbage it never was intended to be healthy.

You can harp about personal responsibility until your face turns blue and I'm never going to find corporations who sell what is not even considered dog food in some other countries for human consumption to be responsible as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Oh please. Don't start with this Michael Moore bullshit. It's perfectly feasible to eat healthily and get sufficient exercise on a low income. Fat cunts in America/the UK/Mexico/wherever are fat cunts because they're lazy. It's as simple as that.
    They eat shit because it's quicker and easier to prepare. Who the fuck has got time to prepare a salad when you can stick a meatloaf in the microwave and eat it straight out of the tray in 5 minutes?
    Fruit?! fuck that shit, I'm buying a cheeseburger for 99p.

I'm sick to death of people blaming obesity on low income.
    Lazy people like fast, easy meals.
    Lazy people dislike exercise.
    Lazy people get fat. Stop the press!

Is there a correlation between income and obesity? Sure there is. But it's only because these lazy shits probably also lack the drive and motivation to find more desirable and higher paying employment.
    I can absolutely guarantee you that fat people on low income would still be fat people on high income. It's a lifestyle choice.
    NOT. MY. POINT.

It is legal to sell unhealthy garbage as "food" in the USA. That is a problem. We are not going to fix the obesity problem so long as cheap, unhealthy food is readily available on any street corner.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

No, THAT is not even remotely the same thing. Pencils are not designed to be used as weapons, so you are miusing the pencil. Fast food is barely a step up from garbage it never was intended to be healthy.

You can harp about personal responsibility until your face turns blue and I'm never going to find corporations who sell what is not even considered dog food in some other countries for human consumption to be responsible as well.
    You seem to be mixing together quality and caloric content. These aren't really the same thing. People can get fat just as easily on home-cooked, high-quality food. It's not like I can't make fried chicken and pizza at home.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

NOT. MY. POINT.

It is legal to sell unhealthy garbage as "food" in the USA. That is a problem. We are not going to fix the obesity problem so long as cheap, unhealthy food is readily available on any street corner.
    Cheap unhealthy food is available fucking everywhere. You can't ban that shit because it's delicious and absolutely fine in moderation.
    I try to eat healthy, my dinners usually consist of rice and fish and I rarely eat anything pre-prepared. Since I stopped drinking alcohol I've developed a huge craving for chocolate though.
    However, every now and again I think to myself "Man, I'd love a cheeseburger right now", so I go and eat a fucking cheeseburger. I can do that, because I don't live off them and so can treat it as an indulgence. There's nothing wrong with eating a couple of hotdogs/cheeseburgers/doughnuts every month. It's the folk who do it every fucking day and somehow manage to blame it on having no money that are the problem, not the food itself.

A typical dinner for me would be a bowl of rice with a little melted butter, tuna, sweetcorn and soy sauce. I haven't bothered to figure out how much each bowl costs but I can 100% guarantee you that it's no more than a cheap takeaway burger and significantly healthier.
    Last edited by mmoc290cb72e4b; 2016-04-28 at 01:39 PM.

There are a ton of dishes in restaurants that have way more calories than your average fastfood burger.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    BMI is a shit indicator for obesity compared to caliper or displacement based measuring methods.

Obesity is definitely a problem in the US, but strictly going off the BMI is junk science. Big people with low BF% get labelled as obese while sedentary desk jockies with lower weight and higher BF% get a pass. It's nonsense.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Scrub OP can't even go a day without getting banned.

And yes, we all know American kids are becoming fat asses, that has been common knowledge for the last decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    BMI is a shit indicator for obesity compared to caliper or displacement based measuring methods.

Obesity is definitely a problem in the US, but strictly going off the BMI is junk science. Big people with low BF% get labelled as obese while sedentary desk jockies with lower weight and higher BF% get a pass. It's nonsense.
    I think those are outliers though.

Deleted
    Fuck yes he's gone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Scrub OP
    Not defending Tennisanus, but who the hell uses 'Scrub' anymore?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    I think those are outliers though.
    In what sense?

There are tons of methods that get down to brass tacks in terms of weight vs health and the BMI is probably the most dated and easily disqualified.

This is mostly wrong. There aren't very many body-builders relative to actual fat people. The reality is that 95% of men and 99% of women with BMIs over 30 are obese by body fat measurements (citation).

In what sense?

There are tons of methods that get down to brass tacks in terms of weight vs health and the BMI is probably the most dated and easily disqualified.
    In the sense that bodybuilders and high BF skinny guys aren't the norm. I agree that there are better methods but BMI is useful because it is a good starting point and is able to be used for the widest number of people.