Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Russian Navy to have nigh-unstoppable hypersonic missiles by 2018

A hypersonic missile being developed by Russia is likely to go into serial production as early as 2018, four years ahead of schedule. Testing of the Zircon missile, which can fly at speeds over 6,000 km/h, has already begun.

Russia’s military-industrial complex has shortened the timeframe for the introduction of the hypersonic missile by four years, moving the mass production of Zircon rockets from 2022 to 2018, TASS reports, citing a source in the industry.

“We plan to complete official tests in 2017 and start serial production a year later,” the source said.

In February 2015 it was reported that a special fuel formula that allows hypersonic aerial vehicles to fly five times faster than the speed of sound had been developed in Russia, Sputnik cited the deputy defense minister, Army General Dmitry Bulgakov, as saying.

The highly secretive new missile is expected to be able to fly at least five to six times faster than the speed of sound, which is over 6,125 km/h, making it practically impossible to intercept.

With a rumored range of at least 400km (1,000km, according to other reports), the new missile will be able to find its target in a matter of minutes, making it impossible for a naval vessel to escape its reach, which is a common problem with modern subsonic anti-ship cruise missiles.

It was reported in February that the Russian Navy’s nuclear-powered guided-missile cruiser Pyotr Velikiy (Peter the Great, Project 11442) would be armed with hypersonic cruise missiles by 2022.

Another vessel of project 11442, the nuclear-powered guided-missile cruiser Admiral Nakhimov, has been undergoing a general overhaul since late 2014 and will be completely refurbished and rearmed with brand-new Zircon and Kalibr NK missile systems.

Zircon missiles will reportedly also be mounted on the newest fifth-generation nuclear-powered Husky class submarines, currently in development.

Russia is also actively developing other hypersonic systems, such as BrahMos II, a short-range ramjet missile based on the P-800 Onyx. The joint Russian-Indian project BrahMos is currently producing missile which travels at speeds of Mach 2.8 to 3 (or up to three times the speed of sound), widely believed to be the world's fastest anti-ship cruise missile in operation.
    https://www.rt.com/news/340397-russi...es-hypersonic/

The military race sure is heating up. How will Russia's enemies respond to this news?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How will Russia's enemies respond to this news?
    By ignoring the bollocks that comes out of Russia Today.

Deleted
    I've seen them on the news a while back. No missile shield can touch these it seems.

It ensures Russia's place in this century as a military super power.

If it is complete bs like a lot of the propaganda coming from Russia?
    Laugh
    If not?
    Spend more..bigger better faster.

Deleted

The military race sure is heating up. How will Russia's enemies respond to this news?
    Another vessel of project 11442, the nuclear-powered guided-missile cruiser Admiral Nakhimov, has been undergoing a general overhaul since late 2014 and will be completely refurbished and rearmed with brand-new Zircon and Kalibr NK missile systems.

A bloody good thing too since that ship is currently 30 years old, how long as they going to keep those wrecks afloat?

Deleted
    The US is making their own. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-51

And until they get the range of a ICBM it probably doesnt really matter anyways, Indias one has by far the biggest range and thats only 1200 miles. And once/if they do get ICBM ranges i prefer more then one country to have them to deter use.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-04-28 at 02:26 PM.

Which enemies are you talking about? Has Russia ever fired a missile at a country with the technology to shoot it down?
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    Which enemies are you talking about? Has Russia ever fired a missile at a country with the technology to shoot it down?

Russia has allies and enemies. That's how it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    How will Russia's enemies respond to this news?
    The usual: "Hurr durr Russia aggression, Russia worse threat than ISIS, USA BEST RUSSIA NOT SO BEST" etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zmp View Post
    The usual: "Hurr durr Russia aggression, Russia worse threat than ISIS, USA BEST RUSSIA NOT SO BEST" etc.
    I think I read recently that Lithuania was instituting a military draft again. I'm not sure what these countries think a few more soldiers is going to accomplish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno how true the story is, but it seems to me that a long range hypersonic antiship missile would completely negate the usefulness of aircraft carriers in a war.

Of course the US doesn't actually need carriers so much in a war against Russia. Plenty of land basing available in the area.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Don't think so pall.
    I don't see the issue here? We use american sources all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize RT is a propaganda paper right?

In other news Papa Putin lays the smack down in Eastern Europe: All leaders bow down and kiss his feet while overwhelmed by his radiating greatness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    RT is not your average propaganda site, it's advanced propaganda.
    Debatable. CNN and crew are propaganda as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    China is also in the last stages of developing their own hypersonic missile, or glide vehicle:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WU-14

With these technologies, MAD will be in effect not only between US and Russia but also between US and China. This development can be seen as but one step towards the multi-polar world order, as envisaged by Putin and others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    This development can be seen as but one step towards the multi-polar world order, as envisaged by Putin and others.
    I see this buzz world multi-polar world order used a loot, last time it hapen was then Nixon did break up West vs East to West vs USSR vs China. So what do you expect by this new multi-polar world order you think will happen? Brazil or Japanese step up or a fragmentation of Russia or China.... Putins action have only starched NATO so NATO will not fragmenting.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    The speed of sound and its multiples are so last decade. 6,125 km/h isn't much compared to the 299,792 km/s that our weaponized lasers fire at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    The speed of sound and its multiples are so last decade. 6,125 km/h isn't much compared to the 299,792 km/s that our weaponized lasers fire at.
    I think the lasers need to stay on target for a few seconds to do their damage though, right?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think the lasers need to stay on target for a few seconds to do their damage though, right?
    Well, if a missile is going 6,125 km/h, I doubt it has any kind of agility in movement. It pretty much has to be going in a straight line to go that fast, and following an object moving in a ballistic arc or straight line isn't that terribly difficult. We already have no problem detonating artillery mid-air, as well as current missiles going in a straight line, so I doubt the speed would have much of an effect. Particularly in that these missiles are designed for anti-naval operation, and our navy is where we're already mounting lasers. I think it'll be interesting to see which wins, even though it's probably never going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Well, if a missile is going 6,125 km/h, I doubt it has any kind of agility in movement. It pretty much has to be going in a straight line to go that fast, and following an object moving in a ballistic arc or straight line isn't that terribly difficult. We already have no problem detonating artillery mid-air, as well as current missiles going in a straight line, so I doubt the speed would have much of an effect. Particularly in that these missiles are designed for anti-naval operation, and our navy is where we're already mounting lasers. I think it'll be interesting to see which wins, even though it's probably never going to happen.
    What's the range on one of those lasers? 6,125 km/hr is 1701.3 meters per second. If the range is only 10 km or something like that, you'd only have a bit under 6 seconds for the laser to track the target and do its thing.