Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    What are the other half played by??
    Puppets, stop-motion and CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Except, Time Lords look like humans becasue they are played by human actors. Half the aliens in Sci-Fi look like humans because they are played by human actors.
    Well, if you're going to slip out of universe and go for a real world explanation, sure. In-universe, Time Lords came first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Well, if you're going to slip out of universe and go for a real world explanation, sure. In-universe, Time Lords came first.
    Has there ever been an in-universe explanation for why they look similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    What are the other half played by??
    robots :P

/10

- - - Updated - - -

im pretty sure in the classic series they were pushing for some timey wimey shenanigans to have happened but alot of that stuff never came to fruition.

i dont think its something moffat or rtd ever wanted to address as whatever excuse will just seem dumb.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Time Lords became the first humans! Earth is to Gallifrey as Australia was to the UK. And overtime, they lost their extended life spans and regeneration capabilities!(Totally made that up!)

15+ Year Old Account
    In-universe, Time Lords came first.
    I'm not sure you can even say that. They may have "initially" come later, but travelled back to before humans. "First" doesn't mean much when time travel is involved

There are actually some theories about Time Lords being some kind of evolved humans. And some others about early Time Lords messing with species around the universe. IIRC, some books also have some blurry explanations involving morphic fields too (and Torchwood takes that idea again in season 4 to explain a few things)

It's still a very open field to dig in for future seasons (and piss off people because anything new related to lore will piss off people)
    Oh, hi.

15+ Year Old Account
    That reminds me of something I've heard said on Doctor Who. To paraphrase, Time Lords don't look like humans; humans look like Time Lords.
    I seriously think Time Lords are just humans who developed time travel technology who went in the past.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I seriously think Time Lords are just humans who developed time travel technology who went in the past.
    Except this is actually one of the theory that really stands the less with current known lore. Bits of Time Lord history is known pre-time travel. Not much is known about it, but Time Lords existed "before our reality", billions of years ago, and they invented (or stole, depending on sources) time travel during that area. More info here too.
    Oh, hi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Except this is actually one of the theory that really stands the less with current known lore. Bits of Time Lord history is known pre-time travel. Not much is known about it, but Time Lords existed "before our reality", billions of years ago, and they invented (or stole, depending on sources) time travel during that area. More info here too.
    It is well known that not just the Doctor, but pretty much ALL Time Lords lie. Also, it is well known that Time is a bit "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey" and it may be argued that the race that either invents, or possibly stole, time travel and uses it as extensively as the Time Lords do, would have a very hard to pin down history, as it is, quite possibly, re-written on a daily basis.

You should, if you have not already, read Douglas Adams books, because he has a great section on the perils of being a time travelling society.
    Last edited by mmoc8d1df16656; 2016-04-29 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Time Lords became the first humans! Earth is to Gallifrey as Australia was to the UK. And overtime, they lost their extended life spans and regeneration capabilities!(Totally made that up!)
    did humans evolve into time lords? or did time lords evolve into humans? chicken or the egg
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the Humans came first because the Time Lords are more evolved and are further in technology than the humans. But the main reason I think this is because of The Doctor. He seems so enthralled with the Humans. And I also claim it the reason he wants to protect the Earth/Humans so much, if he doesn't his race/himself would get destroyed because they would never exist if the Human race dies. I think he is the only Time Lord that knows or even 'believes' it(other time lords think his ideas are crazy).

It is well known that not just the Doctor, but pretty much ALL Time Lords lie. Also, it is well known that Time is a bit "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey" and it may be argued that the race that either invents, or possibly stole, time travel and uses it as extensively as the Time Lords do, would have a very hard to pin down history, as it is, quite possibly, re-written on a daily basis.

You should, if you have not already, read Douglas Adams books, because he has a great section on the perils of being a time travelling society.
    I love that series..I need to reread it, I did not get past the 4th book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    did humans evolve into time lords? or did time lords evolve into humans? chicken or the egg
    Who created Beethoven's music? Its a casual loop. Or if you want to go Harry Potter style: A circle has no beginning.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Except, Time Lords look like humans becasue they are played by human actors. Half the aliens in Sci-Fi look like humans because they are played by human actors.
    How do you know Peter Capaldi isn't a time lord? Look how old he is.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That makes no sense. If they didn't want them to look human they'd make them look different, just like the rest of the aliens. The reason half the aliens look human is because it's easier for the general public to relate to something they see themselves in.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless he's 1000+ he's not that old.
    I think you would be surprised if you counted the rings in his eyebrows.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

In the lore there is no actual reason given for why Earthlings, Time Lords, Kaleds, etc., all look the same. There is some non-canon material in books about a race that helped develop many worlds like Gallifrey and Earth but nothing in the TV series or movie.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I think the Humans came first because the Time Lords are more evolved and are further in technology than the humans. But the main reason I think this is because of The Doctor. He seems so enthralled with the Humans. And I also claim it the reason he wants to protect the Earth/Humans so much, if he doesn't his race/himself would get destroyed because they would never exist if the Human race dies. I think he is the only Time Lord that knows or even 'believes' it(other time lords think his ideas are crazy).
    I think that would rather cheapen the Doctor's character if his love for humans was just a selfish agenda.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    In the lore there is no actual reason given for why Earthlings, Time Lords, Kaleds, etc., all look the same. There is some non-canon material in books about a race that helped develop many worlds like Gallifrey and Earth but nothing in the TV series or movie.
    There are a few allusions to morphic fields in both Doctor Who episodes and in Torchwood (4th season, in which they're used as part of main plot), but that's about it. This basically explains it as an external force guiding development of many things (including DNA development) simultaneously wherever it happens, leading to similar development all over the universe. The issue is much more than Time Lords/humans, there's a shitload of human-looking-aliens, especially in classic.
    Oh, hi.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few allusions to morphic fields in both Doctor Who episodes and in Torchwood (4th season, in which they're used as part of main plot), but that's about it. This basically explains it as an external force guiding development of many things (including DNA development) simultaneously wherever it happens, leading to similar development all over the universe. The issue is much more than Time Lords/humans, there's a shitload of human-looking-aliens, especially in classic.
    Stop over-complicating things, it's just the budget. It is not big.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I think that would rather cheapen the Doctor's character if his love for humans was just a selfish agenda.
    Exactly. If the Doctor's love for humans is borne out of something in their character that he likes (see his speech given in the Ark in Space "Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable.") that's really interesting because it appeals to a higher level of existence. But if its because of some selfish agenda than its appeals to our lower, more base instincts of self-preservation.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Stop over-complicating things, it's just the budget. It is not big.
    The show provides some explanation (in episodes, audiobooks and comics), but I'm the one overcomplicating things?

Strange reasoning there
    Last edited by imabanana; 2016-05-01 at 08:59 PM.
    Oh, hi.

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552