Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is mostly wrong. There aren't very many body-builders relative to actual fat people. The reality is that 95% of men and 99% of women with BMIs over 30 are obese by body fat measurements (citation).
    "Despite the good correlation between BMI and BF %, the diagnostic accuracy of BMI to diagnose obesity is limited, particularly for individuals in the intermediate BMI ranges."

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    "Despite the good correlation between BMI and BF %, the diagnostic accuracy of BMI to diagnose obesity is limited, particularly for individuals in the intermediate BMI ranges."
    I don't know what your point is. Something being limited isn't really a problem when limits are recognized. The main limitation in this case is that BMI undercounts obese people. The growth in obesity rates isn't a product of there being tons of bodybuilders and football players.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what your point is. Something being limited isn't really a problem when limits are recognized. The main limitation in this case is that BMI undercounts obese people. The growth in obesity rates isn't a product of there being tons of bodybuilders and football players.
    I said it was shit science because it wasn't accurate enough and there are better methods to more accurately assess a person's obesity/health.
    BMI is a shit indicator for obesity compared to caliper or displacement based measuring methods.

Obesity is definitely a problem in the US, but strictly going off the BMI is junk science.
    This is even supported by the study you linked:
    BMI-defined obesity (≥ 30 kg/m2) was present in 21% of men and 31% of women, while BF %-defined obesity was present in 50% and 62%, respectively.
    That's a pretty big variation.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I said it was shit science because it wasn't accurate enough and there are better methods to more accurately assess a person's obesity/health.

This is even supported by the study you linked:

That's a pretty big variation.
    So, again, the only problem they're really running into is undercounting the percentage of people that are overfat. This isn't at all similar to your original post which pretty plainly suggested the chief problem was how it handles big, lean people.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, again, the only problem they're really running into is undercounting the percentage of people that are overfat. This isn't at all similar to your original post which pretty plainly suggested the chief problem was how it handles big, lean people.
    I'm sorry I didn't put in more examples so you'd properly understand.

I didn't think the concept was difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Lettuce on Pizza? God my head hurts
    LOL Mine too!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Stuffing your face with hot salted grease and washing it down with corn syrup is an american freedom (it's somewhere in the constitution i believe). You can never take that away from them.
    'murica!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    'murica!

I actually got nauseous looking at that picture. ._.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a ton of dishes in restaurants that have way more calories than your average fastfood burger.
    That's not much of an argument.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That's not much of an argument.
    It's very much an argument, as people target fastfood but not restaurants. Anything can be bad for you if you over indulge. Restaurants usually have much larger portions and much more calories.

*Ten years later*

"More American children and teens aren't just morbidly obese. They're MEGA obese!"

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    *Ten years later*

"More American children and teens aren't just morbidly obese. They're MEGA obese!"
    They rename "My 600lb Life" to "Life", and it becomes just another reality show like "Real Housewives of Orange County".

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very much an argument, as people target fastfood but not restaurants. Anything can be bad for you if you over indulge. Restaurants usually have much larger portions and much more calories.
    Sure, eating more is going to result in smaller calories. I'm not exempting anyone from blame here. Americans eat too much and we are sold too much and too much of that is garbage. You can't fix the problem by adjusting only one side of the equation. Reducing intake may reduce portion sizes, but won't do anything to affect the quality.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Sure, eating more is going to result in smaller calories. I'm not exempting anyone from blame here. Americans eat too much and we are sold too much and too much of that is garbage. You can't fix the problem by adjusting only one side of the equation. Reducing intake may reduce portion sizes, but won't do anything to affect the quality.
    Well, when "one side of the equation" is the hugely major factor in the problem, then fixing that factor can actually solve the problem. Quantity of food eaten is significantly more important to weight gain than quality of food is. You could eat only Twinkies and vitamin supplements and lose weight if the quantity of Twinkies you eat is less than you need to maintain weight.

It's been done before.

Deleted
    How many McDonald's cheeseburgers could you buy for a single main course at a restaurant?