Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Sweden tells its citizens to eat insects to end global warming

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...lobal-warming/

The Swedish government is showing their commitment to green principles and fighting climate change by spending tax payer money on developing ‘meat’ made out of crickets and mealworms.

Vinnova, the Swedish government agency that distributes money for research and development, spending some 2.7 billion kronor (£230 million) a year has announced its latest tranche of funding for creating a greener, more sustainable future — by weaning Europe off meat. It is hoped people will want to eat a so-called “climate smart” diet instead, reports FriaTider.

Green activists and the United Nations are behind such political initiatives as ‘Meat Free Mondays’ — a gateway to full vegetarianism — which are based on the premise that meat consumption is driving man-made climate change. Another method to reduce that so-called burden on the earth is replacing meat protein with that harvested from insects instead.

To that end, Vinnova is awarding half a million kronor each to fifteen different projects across the country, each of which tasked with creating an “edible prototype” of a new food.

Among the mouth-watering projects being funded are an attempt to produce a “good and healthy product from mealworms which are fed on vegetable food scraps to become a climate friendly source of protein”, “food prototypes” made from “refined mealworms”, and mincemeat made out of “climate smart insects” such as crickets.

Other enticing offerings not involving insects include “climate-fungal protein”, a “healthy vegetarian barbecue” made from by-products” and “fibrous raw materials”, and a “blue cheese-like product” made from beans.

A competition in November will select the best product, with a potential of an extra two million kronor investment from the government to get the “food” off the ground.

Speaking on the reasons for launching the initiative in their press release, Vinnova explains that insect-based nourishment will reduce food miles by encouraging interest in food grown in Sweden. They said: “Vinnova make an effort to develop climate-friendly proteins to help develop innovative, healthy and delicious food for the future, as an alternative to conventional meat production.

“The projects can also increase the Swedish food industry’s competitiveness by products that are developed based on raw materials that can be produced cost-effectively in Sweden”.

This is not the first time Sweden has attempted to kick-start interest in this food of the future. Last year the city of Stockholm launched a “climate-smart” cookbook which advocated insect larvae as an “environmentally friendly” pizza topping. According to press surrounding the release of the book “larvae tastes good! Freeze Dried caterpillars taste like cashew nuts with a gentle tone of the yolk”.

There are all sorts of attempts at creating new sources of food. Is there a point here, or is this just a 'eww yuck' thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    There are all sorts of attempts at creating new sources of food. Is there a point here, or is this just a 'eww yuck' thread?
    Click bait title trying to stir shit up. They arent spending millions telling the citizens to eat insects, they're spending millions on researching new sources of food. But that doesn't drum up as much drama.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Fine by me. Researching alternative food sources is a good thing. I must have missed the memo that I was supposed to eat insects though.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

i see no problem with this.. probably tastes better than that artifical meat some are making in labs atm.

More of a "look how crazy Sweden is!" type of thread

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hallucigenocide View Post
    i see no problem with this.. probably tastes better than that artifical meat some are making in labs atm.
    That's the shit that I'm really interested in.

Lab grown meat could be a world changer, as long as it's affordable and tastes like natural meat

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    More of a "look how crazy Sweden is!" type of thread
    Look how crazy Sweden is!

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Fine by me. Researching alternative food sources is a good thing. I must have missed the memo that I was supposed to eat insects though.
    It is in appendix B23-v12 of the internet hand guide.

Swedish culinary experts weighed in on this political push, reportedly responding "BORK BORK BORK"

I can't say that I think Soylent Green or its insect variants are likely to catch on in first-world countries. We're going to need to ramp up a lot more eco-guilt before the average person is sold on that.

I find this disgusting, however I am 100% in favor of research into alternate food sources to help save the planet.

That being said, fossil fuels are the biggest problem. We need to get off of them ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    That's the shit that I'm really interested in.

Lab grown meat could be a world changer, as long as it's affordable and tastes like natural meat
    probably what's in store for us in the future.. i remember seeing them trying that out as a hamburger last year i think.. they didn't seem that impressed by the taste then though.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I can't say that I think Soylent Green or its insect variants are likely to catch on in first-world countries. We're going to need to ramp up a lot more eco-guilt before the average person is sold on that.
    Eh, not so sure about that. One of co-workers brought in homemade energy bars made with cricket flour. If shit like that starts catching on then I think insects could be more and more common as a source of food.

Click bait title trying to stir shit up. They arent spending millions telling the citizens to eat insects, they're spending millions on researching new sources of food. But that doesn't drum up as much drama.
    Well, that's Breitbart for you, clicky baity. I'm more interested in the lab grown stuff myself.

Eh, not so sure about that. One of co-workers brought in homemade energy bars made with cricket flour. If shit like that starts catching on then I think insects could be more and more common as a source of food.
    I'll be pretty surprised if this becomes popular outside of the sort of hipster for whom eating weird shit (wherein weird shit is defined by cultural norms) is a badge of honor. I guess we'll see.

I think lab grown meat is going to have an easier time in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I think lab grown meat is going to have an easier time in this regard.
    I'd guess lab grown meat would do pretty well as soon as it can more or less replicate the flavor and texture of real meat. We've got quite a ways to go at the moment, but it's really quite promising. I'd expect reasonably decent ground-beef variants to hit the market first - it's a lot easier to get the fat content right there than it is when dealing with tissue that we're looking for a certain texture and marbling with.

Yup.

This stuff will work when it's cheap and you can incorporate it into a value meal without anyone really noticing. Until then it'll be very niche.

Deleted
    Actual source of it, in Swedish: http://www.vinnova.se/sv/Aktuellt--p...A5n+VINNOVA%29

If you want to run it through google translate or something.