Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Yeah, because building roads is totally the same thing.
    yes, it is.

its taking lead in an industry that people are unwilling or unable to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Every person with a large piece of land and a home set back from the street builds a road to the house.
    hurr durr semantics are fun.

when was the last time you saw any random person defend a country from a foreign threat

same exact thing

saying that the government doesnt lead at least some industries is just plain wrong

edit: and pretending that some random easement road even begins to compare to any random highway or interstate in any random country is intellectually dishonest at best
    Last edited by apples; 2016-04-28 at 07:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    yes, it is.

its taking lead in an industry that people are unwilling or unable to do
    You can't make people eat things they don't want to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Imagine that, people trust scientists more than politicians, fox news, or random internet strangers.
    There are a lot of lawyers. Some of them are shitty at it. The same is true of science, and all other professions.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of lawyers. Some of them are shitty at it. The same is true of science, and all other professions.
    Which is why we use peer reviewed journals that involve multiple other scientists to ensure the accuracy. This is why we have other scientists trying to reproduce results of other studies to ensure the didn't make any errors in the executions of their experiments. It's not one random scientist claiming that our animal husbandry methods are contributing to climate change.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll be eating bugs everywhere soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't make people eat things they don't want to eat.
    Sure you can. Starvation is a lot of motivation.

Deleted
    What? Insects are a great protein provider and they are way cheaper to "produce" than any other kind of meat.
    All you need to do is make it more appealing, you wouldn't even notice if you didn't read the description.

The notion that we don't have enough food on this planet, or that creating it is causing global warming is laughable. You can get anyone on the left to believe anything if you say a scientist said it.
    Breeding cattle for food does use up more resources than the same amount of energy in plants, it has to sustain an additional life for years.
    We actually do have enough food already it's merely a question of dispensing it.
    Have you ever wondered how much money every person would have if you spread it out evenly? I am sure it would be enough to live and not just survive.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-04-28 at 07:32 PM.

Which is why we use peer reviewed journals that involve multiple other scientists to ensure the accuracy. This is why we have other scientists trying to reproduce results of other studies to ensure the didn't make any errors in the executions of their experiments. It's not one random scientist claiming that our animal husbandry methods are contributing to climate change.
    Trust me, there are a lot of people who believe ridiculous things because they read in an internet "study", or more specifically, a media report loosely based on a study. But, some studies are shit, and the peer reviews say they are shit, and people still believe them, because it reinforces things they already believed. No political position is free from morons who don't quite understand, on the left or right.

Sometimes you are wrong, science. And sometimes you come to conclusions based on studies that are not conclusive. It's just a fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Sure you can. Starvation is a lot of motivation.
    As if we'll have starvation in Sweden any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Never heard of that.
    I know right.

Where do people get all of these silly things?

"One person on a private Facebook page from Sweden said X sarcastically = swedes are told to X!"

Now I'm off to eat some ants.

swedes are stupid enough for this

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-04-28 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As if we'll have starvation in Sweden any time soon.
    Depends on your definition of "soon" is. I'm thinking on a bit larger scale than a few years, or even a decade.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me, there are a lot of people who believe ridiculous things because they read in an internet "study", or more specifically, a media report loosely based on a study. But, some studies are shit, and the peer reviews say they are shit, and people still believe them, because it reinforces things they already believed. No political position is free from morons who don't quite understand, on the left or right.

Sometimes you are wrong, science. And sometimes you come to conclusions based on studies that are not conclusive. It's just a fact.
    Sure there are people that do that. But climate change and livestock is not a fringe subject and has been thoroughly studied by many scientists across the globe. This is not the case of one study saying that our livestock plays a role in climate change, this is a generally accepted truth amount scientists. Of course there will be some that disagree as there are with all areas of studies, but that doesn't make it wrong.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Now I'm off to eat some ants.
    Mmmm them tasty ants think i stick with my pringles.

Reminded me the movie Snowpiercer. Great movie. I think we won't be eating insects unless we have absolutely no other chance to survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Mmmm them tasty ants think i stick with my pringles.
    Ants aren't bad actually, not a whole lot of taste really. A bit like a bland sunflower seed? Roasted crickets... now that's where its at. Delicious with some chocolate to dip them into.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Ants aren't bad actually, not a whole lot of taste really. A bit like a bland sunflower seed? Roasted crickets... now that's where its at. Delicious with some chocolate to dip them into.
    Never tried but maby i would if i saw any, i like to try new stuff. We do have stuff like snails here, roasted and cooked i believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    There are all sorts of attempts at creating new sources of food. Is there a point here, or is this just a 'eww yuck' thread?
    Its not simply an attempt to create a new food source. It is removing the necessity for livestock (which are supposedly a contributing to factor to greenhouse emissions).

We (as a world population) continue to try to band-aid small cuts, while we have gaping wounds that remain untouched.

Cargo ships and oil tankers are the largest producers of pollution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ars-world.html
    http://www.industrytap.com/worlds-15...the-world/8182

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in the US a lot of what we consume is manufactured in China, and how does it get here? Cargo ships.

Furthermore, we pretend like we care about the planet, but we still buy from China, and China doesn't give 2 fucks about being green.

One of the biggest industrial countries in the world, and the one doing the least to curb it pollution/impact on the planet.

Many people believe that the Chinese wear these mask because their are concerned about the health impact the pollution is having, which also isn't true, the majority wear them because the pollution is so bad it will actually turn their skin yellow.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-04-28 at 07:49 PM.

Sure there are people that do that. But climate change and livestock is not a fringe subject and has been thoroughly studied by many scientists across the globe. This is not the case of one study saying that our livestock plays a role in climate change, this is a generally accepted truth amount scientists. Of course there will be some that disagree as there are with all areas of studies, but that doesn't make it wrong.
    Nonsense. If there were no humans, the planet would be rife with wildlife. The source of global warming is not cow farts. Get a grip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Its not simply an attempt to create a new food source. It is removing the necessity for livestock (which are supposedly a contributing to factor to greenhouse emissions).

We (as a world population) continue to try to band-aid small cuts, while we have gaping wounds that remain untouched.

Cargo ships and oil tankers are the largest producers of pollution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ars-world.html
    http://www.industrytap.com/worlds-15...the-world/8182

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in the US a lot of what we consume is manufactured in China, and how does it get here? Cargo ships.

Furthermore, we pretend like we care about the planet, but we still buy from China, and China doesn't give 2 fucks about being green.

One of the biggest industrial countries in the world, and the one doing the least to curb it pollution/impact on the planet.

Many people believe that the Chinese wear these mask because their are concerned about the health impact the pollution is having, which also isn't true, the majority wear them because the pollution is so bad it will actually turn their skin yellow.
    Don't worry, soon the Chinese will get fed up with this pollution, and vote in new people to fix the problems.

Oh wait....

The notion that we don't have enough food on this planet, or that creating it is causing global warming is laughable. You can get anyone on the left to believe anything if you say a scientist said it.
    Inefficient land use and having a lot of cattle around together are a sizable chunk of global human emissions. It's nowhere close to fossil fuel use, but climate change is not something we can address by just going after the biggest slice of the pie.

And just because something seems ridiculous to you, doesn't mean it is. Limits on imagination =/= not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

if they manage to make insect based products that are wide ranging and relative to the cost of similar goods then I'd be all for it.