Thread: knives

Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

knives

Do you carry a knife with you on a daily basis? I keep one in my pocket because they tend to be quite useful. This is what I'm currently carrying. Just a simple gerber knife.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I have a leatherman and a folding knife on me most times, along with a box cutter.

Also have a knife roll that contains two chef knives, a bread knife, a fillet knife, a paring knife, sharpening steel, two thermometers, and kitchen shears. And a deck of cards (most important part of that kit).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    No I don't. What are they useful for?
    Sometimes you need to use a knife to cut things. Generally knives designed for cutting objects are far safer to use than kitchen knives, and keeping one on you means you never have to worry about finding one.
    Last edited by Shaetha; 2016-04-28 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Have you just puked on the table?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you carry a knife with you on a daily basis? I keep one in my pocket because they tend to be quite useful. This is what I'm currently carrying. Just a simple gerber knife.

No, because I don't want to go to prison. In the UK it's illegal to carry knives in public unless you have a legitimate reason for possessing one.
    If you're fishing, out in the Woods camping, hunting etc then you're fine. Caught walking through the High Street with one on a Saturday afternoon? Not so much.
    I'm pretty ok with that rule though, knife crime is a MASSIVE problem in Scotland, and I've seen some of the horrific shit a knife can do in the wrong hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend towards Spyderco over Gerber.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Frequent Uses
    Opening Mail. Removing staples. Opening boxes and packages, removing tags.
    Peeling fruit and vegetables. Halving candy bars for children.
    Cutting up cardboard boxes for disposal. Repairing and cleaning fingernails,
    Removing splinters and thorns. Deburring wood, plastic and metal objects.
    Chamfering holes and sharp edges. Marking parts for drilling or cutting.
    Repairing handles on hoes, shovels, and axes before getting a splinter from them.
    Scraping away rust, paint, dried or wet glue, labels and adhesive.
    Cutting and trimming thread, string, fishing line, shoe laces, cord, wire, straps and rope.
    Cleaning cracks and recesses. Extracting objects from slots, cracks and crevices.
    Prying things loose. Trimming plants. Fashioning Wood and Plastic items by whittling.
    Repairing clothing and shoes by trimming fabric, cutting threads, making holes.
    Occasional Uses
    Opening canned goods, Preparing food, and as an eating utensil. Preparing kindling for fire. Dividing an
    aspirin for fractional dose. Sharpening pencils. Killing centipedes and scorpions.
    Making stick horses, marshmallow roasters, and other utensils and toys. Opening cheap locks. Making or
    modifying bandages. Rapping on jar lid to loosen seal. Trimming candles and wicks, and fishing line.
    Scraping corrosion from electrical terminals. Trimming insulation from electrical wires.
    As a Screwdriver substitute, to repair eyeglasses, watch, car, computer, or other machinery.
    Field dressing game animals. Making all the components of a spear, sling, or slingshot.
    Extracting nails from tires. Tapping on pipe to loosen stuck valve. Digging meat from a pecan.
    Potential Uses
    To Cut seatbelt to extract trapped driver, cut shoelaces to extract trapped foot.
    To Remove clothing from injury in First Aid. To write by scribing on something.
    For Personal defense against man or beast. Cutting hose for snorkel or breathing tube.
    To Dig through a wall to safety. Remove thorns from prickly pear, so it can be eaten.
    For the steel part of fire making by flint and steel (sacrificial; this really tears it up.)
    To fashion weapons and snares for catching small animals, or cages to hold them.
    To improvise clothing and shelter from available materials

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Have you just puked on the table?
    I'm gona guess five finger fillet games...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

this thread and especialy op scares me. there is a underlying thing that sounds like paranoia or maybe a potential wish to use that knife. peronally i find that very scary...

besides that i try to find the reason for opening this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    this thread and especialy op scares me. there is a underlying thing that sounds like paranoia or maybe a potential wish to use that knife. peronally i find that very scary...
    Because everyone who carries a knife wants to stab someone.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Yes, I carry a knife every day when I'm not in the office. I used to carry at my old job and ended up using it daily.

Such a great tool to have at your disposal.

Current carry/obsession/new-trade: Hinderer Wharncliffe

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post

besides that i try to find the reason for opening this thread.
    You REALLY need to stop doing that and take things like this at face value. It's all anonymous so you have nothing useful to gain by your paranoia. Seriously, it has a better outcome for all involved if you just take it for what it is..

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    No, because I don't want to go to prison. In the UK it's illegal to carry knives in public unless you have a legitimate reason for possessing one.
    If you're fishing, out in the Woods camping, hunting etc then you're fine. Caught walking through the High Street with one on a Saturday afternoon? Not so much.
    I'm pretty ok with that rule though, knife crime is a MASSIVE problem in Scotland, and I've seen some of the horrific shit a knife can do in the wrong hands.
    It is against the law but is still a massive problem?

Leatherman: Multitool. knife, pliers, screw drivers, file, etc. in one handy package.

Folding knife: quick out to open things

Box cutter: because I take deliveries daily.

Knife roll: my job.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Because everyone who carries a knife wants to stab someone.
    The Ohio laws concerning carrying pocket knifes is pretty vague. But the main point to keep in mind is if there is a issue with you carrying one here, the answer is " it is a tool". Not a "self defense" weapon. Some restrictions do apply however which are clear. Such as the blade length can not exceed a certain length ( 4" I think ) and it can not have any automatic opening mechanism, which makes switchblades illegal to carry concealed. They are more tolerate of knives which are open carry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Bullshit, only certain kinds of knives are banned, learn the laws of your own lands, if its under 3 inches you are fine.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

10+ Year Old Account
    i have a nice collection of around a dozen different size and style pocket knives including a couple multitools. Gerber looks to be the brand i have the most of (4 including a multi tool). Also a nice folding Buck along with some no-name ones. I keep one in my pocket always and got a couple in the car. I tend to swap em out every couple of months and finding myself picking up new ones once or twice a year.

I also find myself using them on an almost daily basis but never have used them maliciously. Its a tool, not a weapon.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have a mini gerber ridge knife i use for a pocket clip, has my keys and a gerber shard tool on it(so I don't fuck up my knife prying). My EDC is . I have tons of knives and gerber is far from the best but I'd rather use and abuse a 50$ knife instead of a 300$ custom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is against the law but is still a massive problem?
    Guns aren't exactly prevalent in the UK, but knives are easy as shit to get because there's no law against selling them, only about where you can and can't possess them. Certain types of knives (butterfly, flick, etc) are downright illegal but it's totally fine to go into a hardware store and buy a machete or a tackle store and buy a hunting knife if you're over 18.
    I guess it's kinda like the gun problem in the USA but since guns are so hard to get, all the hoodrats carry blades instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The Ohio laws concerning carrying pocket knifes is pretty vague. But the main point to keep in mind is if there is a issue with you carrying one here, the answer is " it is a tool". Not a "self defense" weapon. Some restrictions do apply however which are clear. Such as the blade length can not exceed a certain length ( 4" I think ) and it can not have any automatic opening mechanism, which makes switchblades illegal to carry concealed. They are more tolerate of knives which are open carry.
    which is why I currently carry this little gerber knife. I have a camping knife but I don't carry that. it's too big to carry.

#IStandWithGinaCarano