Page 57 of 86 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    From my understanding he was taking too many risks - something a lot of enterprises are guilty of not doing (Just think about any serie of game that have been stagnant... a few pop to mind). This made the board of directors uneasy and they decided to kick him out. Ironically, Firefall population was healthy until they kicked him, at which point it dropped considerably until it died its inglorious death.
    My understanding was he was a shit manager and was pissing the company's money up against the wall. I think I too would be uneasy if someone spent $3million of my money on a a promotional bus when the game it was supposed to promote was still in alpha. Also I thought they got rid of him before Firefall was released.

With that said I do not understand why so many, both for and against classic servers, are so caught up on his involvement.
    Last edited by Pann; 2016-04-28 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Is semantical games all you have?
    Yes? No? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    My understanding was he was a shit manager and was pissing the company's money up against the wall. I think I too would be uneasy if someone spent $3million of my money on a a promotional bus when the game it was supposed to promote was still in alpha. Also I thought they got rid of him before Firefall was released.
    Lets not forget this:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    By all accounts inside the company, he ran it into the ground.

Good post from an ex- Red5 employee. I have come across a few others on various gaming forums, they have all said the same thing about him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...s_ceo_by_red_5
    You do know that game budget are split evenly between marketing and game creation, right? When a game has a budget of say 250 million, 125 is for the actual creation of the game while 125 is purely for marketing. 3 million for a bus is ridiculously small, although it was a resounding failure.

I'm not going to say the guy was perfect. He grasped the theory in a masterful way. But he failed to take in consideration several things, first and foremost being to be transparent with his team and explain exactly where the money goes.

Sadly, when the mind has an opinion on something, it's over and while the bus situation wasn't exactly his fault, it was printed on his forehead. Anything beyond that was over.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

You do know that game budget are split evenly between marketing and game creation, right? When a game has a budget of say 250 million, 125 is for the actual creation of the game while 125 is purely for marketing. 3 million for a bus is ridiculously small, although it was a resounding failure.

I'm not going to say the guy was perfect. He grasped the theory in a masterful way. But he failed to take in consideration several things, first and foremost being to be transparent with his team and explain exactly where the money goes.

Sadly, when the mind has an opinion on something, it's over and while the bus situation wasn't exactly his fault, it was printed on his forehead. Anything beyond that was over.
    Mark Kern was the CEO he had control of the budget. Wasting $3million dollars is not ridiculously small regardless of the total size of the budget.

He fucked up, and he fucked up spectacularly. You trying to rewrite history is not going to change this.

The bus was his fault, see my first line.

Stop trying to put him on a pedestal he got involved with this for self promotion, as a result he managed to promote the petition with a number of outlets be grateful for that but don't for one second think that his involvement carries any weight with Blizzard. You have to recognise that due to his actions, not just Red5, he will be seen, by many, as a toxic personality and trying to white wash his history in no way helps those who want classic servers
    Last edited by Pann; 2016-04-28 at 08:54 PM.

Mark Kern was the CEO he had control of the budget. Wasting $3million dollars is not ridiculously small regardless of the total size of the budget.

He fucked up, and he fucked up spectacularly. You trying to rewrite history is not going to change this.

The bus was his fault, see my first line.

Stop trying to put him on a pedestal he got involved with this for self promotion, as a result he managed to promote the petition with a number of outlets be grateful for that but don't for one second think that his involvement carries any weight with Blizzard. You have to recognise that due to his actions, not just Red5, he will be seen, by many, as a toxic personality and trying to white wash his history in no way helps those who want classic servers
    It is but that depends on the size of the budget. Anyway Mark Kern's involvement carries some weight with Blizzard, just because you don't like it, doesn't make it untrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    It is but that depends on the size of the budget. Anyway Mark Kern's involvement carries some weight with Blizzard, just because you don't like it, doesn't make it untrue.
    Your first sentence is nonsense and indicates that you do not fully understand what you are talking about. His name carries so much weight they won't even answer the phone.

Your first sentence is nonsense and indicates that you do not fully understand what you are talking about. His name carries so much weight they won't even answer the phone.
    So if someone has a budget of 200mil, 3mil is not ridiculously small? Mark Kern's name carries more weight than anyone on mmoc. He actually worked at Blizzard, my god hes not some random guy that works at mcdonalds.
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

So much weight, he couldntget past the guard at the gate. That's some influence right there, yup.

(Hint: someone with influence would get in the door - even if just to invite Morhaime out to lunch)

So if someone has a budget of 200mil, 3mil is not ridiculously small? Mark Kern's name carries more weight than anyone on mmoc. He actually worked at Blizzard, my god hes not some random guy that works at mcdonalds.
    No, it is not. It is $3million. No company will let you waste its money on the premise that the amount is small in comparison to the total budget, let alone seven figure sums. So what if he worked at Blizzard? He did some great work for them many years ago but since leaving he seems determined to prove that he is a bit of a shit head. Clearly they aren't interested in hearing from him or he would not be lowering people's expectations from being able to personally speak to Mike Morhaime to not knowing if they'll let him through the gate.

Concentrate on the positives of classic servers and not hand waving the negatives of Mark Kern away.

Why are you defending this asshole?
    Have you seen his twitter?
    Among other "cool" stuff he's done recently, he called Panser from TradeChat stupid for not agreeing with him... Or rather he said she was had low IQ becasue she dyes her hair and his "loyal" followers then proceed with sending death threats and wanting her raped and so on. What are you trying to accomplish by defending people like this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Two things I've learned from discussion on MMO-Champ forums about Legacy servers. Pro-legacy people are a majority - not necessarily people who'd play them, but definitely people who won't mind. Then you've got the anti-legacy, which are either people who are tired of reading about it, who are sadistic, who are afraid of losing content on live and those who have too much time on their hands.

The only good reason that someone can have when you have a complaint against Legacy is the third option. And then, we show these people the fact, at which point it shouldn't be a worry, because Legacy will be handled by a separate team.

So if someone's an anti-legacy and keep spewing the same misinformation over and over, I'm not interested in said opinion.

"There's not enough people interested and the only numbers we have are shady at best!" Not your problem and we won't bother answering you. We've made our plea, Blizzard heard us and the machine has started. Obviously there has to be a decent amount of people to get an official reaction out of Blizzard.

"The cost will be too much!" I don't even want to see how much Overwatch cost! I remember Metzen being stressed to death on stage when the game was announced. Obviously you have no idea just how much money sank in that game - money coming from World of Warcraft, of course. So I wouldn't worry too much about this. Also, still not your problem.

"Once you open yourself, people will always want more!" Well first of, this is not your problem at all. Second, if the system work, is efficient and Blizzard agree it's a good idea, then they will expand the system, like they're still pushing expansions today. It's a simple business move.

"Blizzard already said no so many time, why can't you move past this?" Aaah, the "Wall of No". First, not your issue. Secondly, so did they with no-flying, second spec (soon to be third spec), Horde paladin and Alliance Shaman, non-faction determined race (Pandaren) and a whole bunch of other things that doesn't come to mind.

"You people are never satisfied, are you?" Once more, not your damned problem. Then, when you care about a game, you should fight to see it somewhere you love instead of being quiet and leaving without a second thought when it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Among other "cool" stuff he's done recently, he called Panser from TradeChat stupid for not agreeing with him... Or rather he said she was had low IQ becasue she dyes her hair and his "loyal" followers then proceed with sending death threats and wanting her raped and so on. What are you trying to accomplish by defending people like this?
    Oh wait, another one-sided argument!

No, it is not. It is $3million. No company will let you waste its money on the premise that the amount is small in comparison to the total budget, let alone seven figure sums. So what if he worked at Blizzard? He did some great work for them many years ago but since leaving he seems determined to prove that he is a bit of a shit head. Clearly they aren't interested in hearing from him or he would not be lowering people's expectations from being able to personally speak to Mike Morhaime to not knowing if they'll let him through the gate.

Concentrate on the positives of classic servers and not hand waving the negatives of Mark Kern away.
    Business is business. Kern took too many risks, made the investors worry about it, then the bus situation happened and investors went in panic mode. Not the first time this happened, Kern is definitely not the only one to whom this happened, it's just that the bus story was absurd and while he was partially to blame, he even accepted to take it even though honestly, the money was lost because of the crew making the bus.
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2016-04-28 at 10:18 PM.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Again with this bullshit. He did nothing but respond in kind. She was going to his tweets talking shit. She was the one who said "Fuck Mark Kern", she was the one who blocked him and continues to talk shit about him because she's getting attention over being the "victim" of her own shitslinging.
    The remark about her hair was a joke about SJWs having bright coloured hair, and she was acting just like one. Including blocking anyone daring to criticise the way she acted.
    And regarding the death threats 1: Citation needed 2: Everyone gets them, grow up.

Just because you're too inept to actually look into what happened doesn't make what you say true.
    Keep buying into the victim narrative if you want, but don't open your mouth about it until you actually learn what happened first.

Deleted
    I'm not paying my subscription money so they can maintain some legacy servers and take away my money for something that ended 10 years ago. If they want another Classic WoW, they better make another Classic WoW like game.

Deleted
    Oh God, not this again.

When someone attacks your character, is it customary to sit there and take it, or you know, fire back?

I mean, I already know what you would do.

The amount of insults I have personally endured here, for example, would be enough to send a rocket into orbit.

You should be careful whom you criticize. Not all of us just take it. I mean, you could be a billionaire presidential frontrunner, and yet people will still try to find a way to assassinate your character.

So you might as well just go full shit lord.

That was just random people, not really "his "loyal" followers". You can't blame him for what others said.

Business is business. Kern took too many risks, made the investors worry about it, then the bus situation happened and investors went in panic mode. Not the first time this happened, Kern is definitely not the only one to whom this happened, it's just that the bus story was absurd and while he was partially to blame, he even accepted to take it even though honestly, the money was lost because of the crew making the bus.
    Wasting your employer's and investor's money is not a risk. It is bad management. Poorly managing the staff below is not a risk. It is bad management.

If you really want classic servers Kern should not be the focus of your efforts. Accept that he cannot deliver on his promises but be grateful that he generated some extra publicity and move on.

edit - Anyway I see that this thread has now degenerated in the usual shit storm that follows Kern around. Simply put the more you involve yourself with this individual and the people around him the less support you'll get.
    Last edited by Pann; 2016-04-28 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    So much weight, he couldntget past the guard at the gate. That's some influence right there, yup.

(Hint: someone with influence would get in the door - even if just to invite Morhaime out to lunch)
    Did he already go there?

Deleted
    Probably good he's not with blizzard anymore and that he got kicked out of his own company.

Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post
    Did he already go there?
    https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/725814566555262976

Of course not. Just like many of the claims about Mark they are baseless assertions or completely made up.

I am noticing a trend where anti-legacy people say one thing, and the truth being the exact opposite.
    Last edited by Aliadra; 2016-04-28 at 10:36 PM.