Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My strategic management professor told us a story about Walmart. Walmart is super cheap when its employees are traveling, so people have to share hotel rooms, sleep on the floor etc. One VP who was married would share with one of her underlings. Anyways, the vp gets called into the presidents office and on the screen he has footage of her and the underling having sex in the hotel room. Walmart had a camera installed in the ceiling of the hotel room. She was let go, and iirc it wasn't because of them having sex but because it was an affair.

It could be your coworkers f*cking with you too.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Yes, I do believe Wisconsin is an at-will state, but that doesn't TRULY mean that employers can just fire you for any reason. It just mean that the bar for justifying termination is much lower.
    They can fire you when ever, for what ever. But they will have to pay out Unemployment if they just can you, regardless of reason. SO if they want to stick it to this guy they may be looking for evidence so they can fire him and with hold UI benefits.

From Wisconsin, been summarily fired, had this told to me buy state UI.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Also this is perfectly legal as long as they tell you about it. Though I think that would defeat the purpose of a "hidden" camera.
    Well, there is a bit of a difference between notifying you that you can\will be recorded and you knowing exactly where the cameras are. You can assume they are in locations 1,2,3 and not think they are in the break rooms or maybe the stairwell\elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Well, there is a bit of a difference between notifying you that you can\will be recorded and you knowing exactly where the cameras are. You can assume they are in locations 1,2,3 and not think they are in the break rooms or maybe the stairwell\elevator.
    IMO it should be assumed there are cameras in elevators. They should be equipped with them in case of an emergency. As for his case as long as he's been informed hey you can expect to be recorded at work then him being there is his consent. I feel like he's leaving stuff out since the thread title says it's a hidden camera and then he says it's just taped to the ceiling. There's got to be more to this story than he's mentioning.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

maybe OP regularly masturbates in his cubicle and just today looked up and noticed the blinking red light. just givin ya shit OP

The only thing I could think of is if you had your own office with a door and there was some expectation of privacy. That would at least make sense to me as an average person with no education in law
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    IMO it should be assumed there are cameras in elevators. They should be equipped with them in case of an emergency. As for his case as long as he's been informed hey you can expect to be recorded at work then him being there is his consent. I feel like he's leaving stuff out since the thread title says it's a hidden camera and then he says it's just taped to the ceiling. There's got to be more to this story than he's mentioning.

I think its pretty clear OP KNOWS he did something wrong, and is now scared or being fired. Seeing the camera tells him, he has been caught. Maybe he hopes that he can get something out of them for "illegally" filming him or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    The only thing I could think of is if you had your own office with a door and there was some expectation of privacy. That would at least make sense to me as an average person with no education in law
    I would not expect privacy ANYWHERE that I do not own or rent, other than a rest room or locker room type place.

"your" office, in that it belongs to the company your work for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Highly illegal here to install hidden security cameras that record employees without their knowledge. So you might want to state first where you come from.
    I guess some people missed the
    I work in Wisconsin.
    part of his post? To the OP you need to consulate local lawyers to get an accurate answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    They can fire you when ever, for what ever.
    No. They can't fire you for discriminatory reasons, or as reprisal for a legal action (such as whistleblowing or somesuch), or because you have a disability.

It's very similar to the "you can refuse service for any reason." Well...no. You can't. But the reasons are VERY broad.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by acer1234 View Post
    Please help!

Today at work I heard a rumor that my head might be on the chopping block. Meaning either the owners / supervisors don't like me or there looking to fire me. Anyways, today I found a hidden dear camera tapped to the ceiling in my common work place. I'm thinking its been there at least a week now if not a little longer. Is this even legal to do? I work in Wisconsin. I think there trying to see if i'm standing around at work or just trying to catch me in the act doing something. Idk but i'm very pissed off.

I don't know a lot of privacy laws or anything like that. I feel completely betrayed at work. Its like there spying on me. I'm so frustrated right now.
    It depends. Wisconsin has very loose laws regarding surveillance. Some things to consider. When you were first employed, did you sign a piece of paper acknowledging that this business uses audio/video surveillance? Are their security camera's elsewhere in the building? Is their a sign or notice on the entrances to your place of employment that state that the area is under video surveillance? Does your employee handbook mention any thing about video cameras, monitoring, etc?

Wisconsin doesn't have any laws that specifically prohibit video surveillance however you are expected to have a reasonable expectation of privacy even at work. This reasonable expectation is afforded to you UNTIL your employer makes it known that area's are being video taped. If you answered no to all of the above questions, then yes your employer is in the wrong.

If your employer uses information gathered by this camera to discipline or terminate your employment prior to them making reasonable attempts to inform you that you are being video taped, then yes your employer is in the wrong and is vulnerable to civil action. However, you can be fired for about anything in Wisconsin, I would just start looking for another job.

What you should do is

A.) Call Wisconsin equal rights division WHILE you're clocked in @ (608) 555-1212

B.) Continue to look for another Jon

C.) If terminated from employment, file a complaint here https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/forms/ERD/ERD_4206_e.htm

D.) Consult an attorney and hopefully sue these shitlord fucks into the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    It depends. Wisconsin has very loose laws regarding surveillance. Some things to consider. When you were first employed, did you sign a piece of paper acknowledging that this business uses audio/video surveillance? Are their security camera's elsewhere in the building? Is their a sign or notice on the entrances to your place of employment that state that the area is under video surveillance? Does your employee handbook mention any thing about video cameras, monitoring, etc?

Wisconsin doesn't have any laws that specifically prohibit video surveillance however you are expected to have a reasonable expectation of privacy even at work. This reasonable expectation is afforded to you UNTIL your employer makes it known that area's are being video taped. If you answered no to all of the above questions, then yes your employer is in the wrong.

If your employer uses information gathered by this camera to discipline or terminate your employment prior to them making reasonable attempts to inform you that you are being video taped, then yes your employer is in the wrong and is vulnerable to civil action. However, you can be fired for about anything in Wisconsin, I would just start looking for another job.

What you should do is

A.) Call Wisconsin equal rights division WHILE you're clocked in @ (608) 555-1212

B.) Continue to look for another Jon

C.) If terminated from employment, file a complaint here https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/forms/ERD/ERD_4206_e.htm

D.) Consult an attorney and hopefully sue these shitlord fucks into the ground
    holy shit, we need an upvote system so this is the first reply that shows up.
    an informed thought out and organized reply to someone seeking advise.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I think its pretty clear OP KNOWS he did something wrong, and is now scared or being fired. Seeing the camera tells him, he has been caught. Maybe he hopes that he can get something out of them for "illegally" filming him or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not expect privacy ANYWHERE that I do not own or rent, other than a rest room or locker room type place.

"your" office, in that it belongs to the company your work for.
    I agree he knows what he did. Which is why he's likely leaving shit out. It's a good possibility that he's leaving out that he was told about the cameras.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    No. They can't fire you for discriminatory reasons, or as reprisal for a legal action (such as whistleblowing or somesuch), or because you have a disability.

It's very similar to the "you can refuse service for any reason." Well...no. You can't. But the reasons are VERY broad.
    All they have to say is "you are not working out here" They damn well can fire you for discriminatory reasons, they just cant SAY thats the reason and in WI all you need say is "you are not working out here".

- - - Updated - - -

holy shit, we need an upvote system so this is the first reply that shows up.
    an informed thought out and organized reply to someone seeking advise.
    Up until the point he assumes that the Employers are "shot lords" at least.

Very low chance the OP is not in the wrong.

probably true, and maybe the guy i quoted wasted a good 15 minutes on that reply.

or maybe stayrect, whos location is also WI might have gone through an employer fucking him over and went through this before, or maybe he's an EEOC attorney looking for work.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    probably true, and maybe the guy i quoted wasted a good 15 minutes on that reply.

or maybe stayrect, whos location is also WI might have gone through an employer fucking him over and went through this before, or maybe he's an EEOC attorney looking for work.
    Unfortunately I have a criminal record and even when I didn't my word didn't really seem to matter all that much. These days I keep surveillance up at my house and in my car and I recommend everyone to do the same as your word really doesn't mean shit and even less so if you have a criminal record. It's use is something I keep on top of.Cop harassing the shit out of you during a traffic stop? Got his ass. Motherfuckers coming to your crib to start shit, get fucked up and try to play the victim card, Got their ass's. Neighbor's being nozy sneaky shitlords? Got their fuckin ass's to. Crazy ass coked out ex-wife starts smashing your windows out at 1am in the morning? Got her fucking ass. Surveillance is protection, peace of mind, and makes for great entertainment when all is said and done.

You're taking it too personally with feelings of betrayal.

MMO-C, where all your questions are answered by people who actually don't know anything about the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    My strategic management professor told us a story about Walmart. Walmart is super cheap when its employees are traveling, so people have to share hotel rooms, sleep on the floor etc. One VP who was married would share with one of her underlings. Anyways, the vp gets called into the presidents office and on the screen he has footage of her and the underling having sex in the hotel room. Walmart had a camera installed in the ceiling of the hotel room. She was let go, and iirc it wasn't because of them having sex but because it was an affair.
    That sound like it really is just that. A story.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakallanar View Post
    That sound like it really is just that. A story.
    I can attest to how cheap Wal-mart is when it comes to traveling. At one point, I was working at 11 different stores from newington (Hartford, CT) to Westerly Rhode Island stripping and resealing Lawn and Garden. I'd punch in at Lisbon, drive 2 hours to newington, clock in there, but not get paid for the drive time. After 2 years, 1 year of which was HR promises to put it in my next paycheck I filed a complaint against Wal-Mart in Connecticut and Rhode Island with the department of Labor. Took about 6 months but I got a check for about 4 g's from Wal-Mart for travel expenses+time never paid.

What is wrong in the bathroom?

That is where most waiter/waitress steal tip !
    You can also use it to decide which man/women you marry !

Unless you have something to hide or have a tail.