Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Deck diversity is a serious issue un standard right now for sure.

Hopefully a few more builds emerge cos right now it's pretty shit.

Standard is pretty necessary for the longevity of card games but yes right now it's going to suck, should get better as time goes on.

OP is right face shaman is very good right now but there are decks that counter it. Ramp taunt druid is good and healadin. So if you don't want to adapt your deck to the meta that is sort of your fault too.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Magic was around long before it got popular enough to warrant a magazine.
    No. It immediately was a huge success when it was released, so much so that other companies started their own versions of tcgs. The same year MtG launched, WotC started printing "The Duelist" magazine, and two other magazines were already publishing MtG articles and decklists even before that: "Scrye" and "InQuest".

even if the game is perfectly balanced people would complain, just deal with it.
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im starting to remember why I stopped playing Magic and Hearthstone. Do you have access to the internet? Check. Do you have money to blow on getting lots of cards? Check. Now Google 'best deck' and Congratulations on your victories.

There are like a couple dozen real geniuses out there who know how to think outside the box and create a truly devestating deck for play and then that deck gets on the intardnets and every half wit replicates it and giggles their way to victories. In Magic they sit at the table all smug like they are the smartest person in the world even though all they did was buy specific card and copy-pasta those cards into a deck then went through the process of moving things in the proper order. No ingenuity required what so ever.

When I started playing Magic the internet was not used by the majority of players and you had to actually have a brain to figure out a good tourney deck, now you just copy pasta a googled deck. GG.

I'm going to get my last 5 free decks and quit again, I don't intend to blow money on this game to get the cards to win.
    AOL was started in 1985.

Magic the gathering was started in 1993.

So point of fact the internet is older than magic, so just because you didn't, or refused to (you luddite) doesn't mean the information wasn't available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant believe it only took 1 day for this thread to appear, I love hearthstone somtimes. Aggro and face decks are good yeh. But the new Shaman cards are all tailored towards midrange decks and evolve cards are always good at everything. Aggro will always exist and it can be boring yeh, just throw taunts and heals in or join the band wagon.

Duelist and Scrye started off pretty early man, you might have been able to play Alpha/Beta/Unlimited without netdecks but all it did was turn whatever the best deck at your LGS into the netdeck of that timeframe.

It's also like 3 days into HS Standard, you might want to actually be patient and let some alternate strategies develop naturally, which always happens.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Another reason for Aggro-Shaman's success right now is the abundance of C'thun decks. The fact that C'thun relies on getting to late game means that Shamans can obliterate them with ease.

Once C'thun-mania calms down, things will come to equilibrium.

The fact does stand though that Shamans did get the best cards from this expansion, BY FAR! Be prepared to kneel before your Shaman overlords in the Arena.

I for one am glad that Shaman finally got some love, they definitly needed it...I will say however that EVOLVE costing only 1 mana seems a tad low for what it does, 3-mana would have put it in the realm of balance...

Face Shaman wrecks slow decks and everyone is playing C'thun decks right now. Once that settles down you'll see more mid rangey decks that are built specifically to counter Face Shaman.

I'm loving Standard though. No more Secret Pally, no more Dr. Boom, no more Piloted Shredder RNG, no more Mad Scientist's obnoxiously OP-ness. Its quite refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    oh dear shaman went from trash tier to good, lets all whine, hope the same happens in legion shaman is OP like fucking mages for once, guess i can dream.
    I love you!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to introduce you to Inquest Magazine (1995) and Scrye Magazine (1994), and just a reminder, MTG came out in 1993. So no, it was not 'long before'. Nice try, though. While I'm sure neither of them started posting deck ideas until a few years in (TCGs were not only a relatively new concept, but MTG hadn't been out for more than 2 years at the most at the time), both of them were posting prices for the cards, and articles about tournaments. I used to have subscriptions to both, since I started playing MTG when it released in 1993 (see the MTG thread for more).

I think the biggest flaw with your logic in your first rant is that you seem to think that Standard is the ONLY way to play magic. News flash: It's not. Even back then, you didn't HAVE to play in tournaments, you didn't HAVE to 'net deck'. You find friends, you play. I did that for quite a while, as I'm sure most players do. If you want to play competitively, then yes, you have to spend money to have the best cards. That's kinda the point - if you don't have the best, you aren't competitive. Don't like it? Stop playing that way and enjoy the game another way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Guys listen to me. Guys. Listen. I'm legend okay. Guys. I swear.

You know Shaman lost Crackle, right? Their second best face nuke? And Whirly, their second best 2-drop?

And that the removal of Sludge Belcher is a moot point because Face Shaman did not give ONE SINGLE FLYING FUCK about Belcher due to Earth Shock?

And if they don't draw Trogg and/or Totem Golem they still just, y'know, fall over?

But trust me guys

I'm legend.
    This is pretty much what all these threads come down to. You always know when they write stuff like "80% of everyone playing ..." Numbers pulled right out of their bungholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    -snip-
    Calm down with the internet tough guy act.

Again, you aren't actually proving these claims, you aren't backing them up with facts or data.

For all I know you could have played 5 games and 4 of them were face shaman so you concluded that "80%" of people were playing face shaman.

If you claim to be such a billy badass you would know that any kind of face rush deck is 50-60% winrate AT BEST because if you draw badly you simply lose. If you get controlled you simply lose.

If 80% of people are playing the same deck, play a reno deck and tech weapon removal, you'll win 80% of you games if everything you said is true.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-04-29 at 01:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    If 80% of people are playing the same deck, play a reno deck and tech weapon removal, you'll win 80% of you games if everything you said is true.
    What's this? Common sense? Get out of here, common sense has no place in rant threads!
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I actually agree with the OP here...why make an expanion completely based around control but leave the strongest aggro spec untouched? Obv its impossible to completely balance a game like HS but its also not fun to try out cthun decks in ranked when at least 60% of games are vs. Aggro since its ez mode ranks right now

Standard is stupid imo. Blizzard says they want it to be balanced for the competitive scene, but what the hell does that mean? Playing card games usually give out bans because certain cards are overpowered. But Blizzard can change all overpowered cards instantly, make them more balanced, as well as buffing underpowered cards. It really just feels like an excuse to do less work. I don't want to play standard mode because my favorite decks are missing key ingredients (ie: Murloc Paladin can't use Puddlestomper or Old Murk-Eye anymore, and yes I am one of those that just stacks only Murlocs and Paladin buff cards in there instead of generic 'good cards' to make the deck better. Don't really care if its viable or not, because it's fun.). Entire deck strategies are gone for the arbitrary reason of "If it's old, it's out." instead of a reason that even resembles "If it's overpowered/broken/"severely limiting the variety of new card design" then it's out.

I will be playing Hearthstone even less than I already was. I did get on and do quests from time to time, sometimes in play mode but usually tavern brawl. Now that I can't use a bunch of cards just 'because reasons' I feel like any deck constructed, any card constructed, any card pack bought, is a waste of time and money because it is going to be worthless in a year.

Standard mode is, like almost everything else in Hearhstone so far, a blatant cash grab. Instead of determining which cards are available competitively based on the cards themselves, and how strong they are, they just decide that anything from a card pack from over a year ago must never be used again. This way competitive players will be forced to buy new card packs if they want to continue actually being competitive.

What's this? Common sense? Get out of here, common sense has no place in rant threads!
    Some people don't like being forced into certain decks just to have a chance to win. Some people prefer to play a class that they like, or a deck that they like. Ya, they might not all be as viable as the other, but that point is that the meta shouldn't be the majority of players copy pasting the same deck on the internet and in order to have a chance you must therefore either use that deck as well or a deck built specifically to counter that deck.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2016-04-29 at 02:14 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to just mess around, play whatever you want.

If you want to actually WIN, you need to adapt to the meta. This is true for ANY game and has been the staple for Hearthstone since... forever?

This is doubly true if the OP isn't just bullshitting and is, in fact, Legend rank. That's competitive with zero room to play "whatever you want". Legend is ALL about adaptation, no room for casuals.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2016-04-29 at 02:38 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

if you hate a particular kind of deck so much and face it so often then counter it!

change some cards out or make an entirely new deck to beat them. this includes aggro shaman.

this is no different than before with decks that got too popular. collect your easy wins.

If you want to just mess around, play whatever you want.

If you want to actually WIN, you need to adapt to the meta. This is true for ANY game and has been the staple for Hearthstone since... forever?

This is doubly true if the OP isn't just bullshitting and is, in fact, Legend rank. That's competitive with zero room to play "whatever you want". Legend is ALL about adaptation, no room for casuals.
    Isn't the point the OP was making that before standard was enforced that there was at least more variety in competitive Hearthstone?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer