Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No, I've gotten pissed off at games before, but I'd never go as far as physically harming someone over a game.

My worst stories there have been stuff like breaking controllers when I was younger.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Long story short: There's a certain competitive fighting game among others I enjoy watching being played professionally. There is a dominant player who regularly wins most paid events he attends online and offline. This person has a distinct tendency to taunt his opponents through excessive in-game emotes or do unnecessary things like combos that go well past KO and disrespectful fatalities/super finishers. When recently asked in an interview why this person does this shit, he said that non-verbally, he wants to get into his opponent's head psychologically as much as possible to make them angrier and perform more poorly as it's been proven saltiness can weigh heavily on performance in these sort of games.

Despite this, I'm amazed for attending as many real life events as he does not one person has yet decided to attack him physically or just lose their marbles and do something similar. Maybe I assume people are just too unstable and they may be more restrained, but I don't know.
    Eh I won't lie. There have been a few league of legends games and wow arenas I have thrown glasses across the room and shattered them.

There was also a few gaming tournaments at the college I graduated from. One tournament was smash bros melee I think? Most recent one. Anyways, there was one player who played the game professionally. Of course he dominated, but he would talk shit and toy with every one of his opponents.

Dear lord, I Never wanted to commit murder greater than that moment. That guy would do well with somebody breaking something over his head.
    Last edited by BuckSparkles; 2016-04-29 at 01:13 PM.

I trash talk with my friend all the time. I can't make him mad though, if I make him mad he focuses and when he focuses he wins so I say mean vile things to him that you wouldn't say to your worst enemy but only to make him laugh. Then he loses.

It's the mental struggle part of gaming.

A couple of guys in this video, I could get my whole hand around their skinny necks. (Threatening violence is fair game.)
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2016-04-29 at 01:11 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, what the hell is wrong with you?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post

I would punch him in the stomach and give him a titty twister, and whisper in his ear how tender his mothers cunt was that morning.
    PVPers who use that burning tauren cosmetic item makes me target them.

I get the impression they think they are hot shit, so I do everything I can do ruin their fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Is this somekind of a joke?
    Indeed. No one with the slightest bit of self-control would get violent over a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Despite this, I'm amazed for attending as many real life events as he does not one person has yet decided to attack him physically or just lose their marbles and do something similar. Maybe I assume people are just too unstable and they may be more restrained, but I don't know.
    He is doing in a video game what John McEnroe did on the tennis court and many football players do on the field. At least in football, sometimes it does lead to a swing (and normally a penalty call).

Nothing new under the sun. Plus video gamers aren't known for physical aggression, like say football players, so it easy to see why nothing has happened
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-04-29 at 01:18 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Indeed. No one with the slightest bit of self-control would get violent over a video game.
    Some shit talkers online deserve to be punched in the face.

Maybe they will learn some well earned humility.

Deleted
    This is like...everything competitive ever, right?

Like all the BS talk before an actual cage fight, I'M GONNA TAKE YOU DOOOWN YOU PIECE OF SHIT! Sort of thing, it's purely to rile up the opponent to make them too angry so they fault.

If you are thinking about genuinely beating the shit out of a shit-talker guy, you're going to be the one that gets jail time for assault.

In other words...unless someone is a complete psycho, no, a normal minded person won't just beat on a guy for being taunted in a game. Plus it's the effort then you know? Hey that guy beat me in a game and chatted shit, I am going to drive all the way down to one of his public talks, then beat the shi- oh can't be arsed anymore I'm over it...

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I understand this tactics, and in a professional tournament, where the win at any cost is the goal, I suppose it can be effective and pretty annoying for the opponents.

However, I would never do that to anyone, in a tournament or not, and if someone did this to me and I felt I was getting angry, I would just quit the game. Most online games have an option to turn all those emotes though, the chat and such off, so it is hardly an unresolvable problem.
    ^This.

Been in a similar situation (not exactly game related) and it's never worth getting upset over. All you're really doing in a way is feeding a troll.

If it's part of the game (read: allowable), I don't see the problem.

But I have wanted to eff certain people on the internet up.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I used to think so, but then I turned 12.
    lol, pretty much,

Question whatever you take for granted.

Deleted
    So /lol and /spit Emotes actually work? I am amazed. Most of the time I just kill such spammers ingame and laugh at them. It's way more satisfying than actually getting mad over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play many competitive fighting games, and what this guy does is all strategy, and apparently it works incredibly well. Maybe I should adopt this idea.

When it comes to winning thousands of dollars in a tournament, you do whatever you possibly can to win, and at higher levels of fighting games, they are more mental than anything, so throwing off n opponents mental game is HUGE.

Just the opposite in most cases for me, someone taunts then it's time to get really serious show em what for if i lose then they are just the better player and i need to improve, if i win, yeah i'll gloat a little bit. Also you must be talking about Filipino Champ lol unless there's a new Partisan of BM Mind games that i'm not aware of.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I play many competitive fighting games, and what this guy does is all strategy, and apparently it works incredibly well. Maybe I should adopt this idea.
    Or you could remain a good human and not trash talk.

Humility in victory. That is a noble trait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Or you could remain a good human and not trash talk.

Humility in victory. That is a noble trait.
    You must not be a very competitive person, or understand how this thing works. During a tournament, even your best friend is your enemy, and you do whatever you can to win. After the competition is over, everyone is pretty much friends again. It's rare that people are big enough ass hats to garner hatred outside of the brackets. There definitely are some, but even the villains are all rather nice guys once you get to know them.

Except Wolfkrone, that dudes a shit bucket.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosinciter View Post
    Just the opposite in most cases for me, someone taunts then it's time to get really serious show em what for if i lose then they are just the better player and i need to improve, if i win, yeah i'll gloat a little bit. Also you must be talking about Filipino Champ lol unless there's a new Partisan of BM Mind games that i'm not aware of.
    Fchamp is actually a rather chill dude, and mostly plays the villain for the sake of being a villain and having fun as a troll. He's done a lot to help the FGC players improve, especially when it comes to UMVC3. There's who you are, and then there's your tournament persona.

I'd wager that there's an inverse correlation between real-life desire to fight and skill in fighting video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's just a part of the game when it comes to competition. Like I enjoy playing SSBM at local tournaments and I do a fair bit of shit talking, because I'm trying to get into my opponents head. Difference is its nothing personal, its just trash talking for the games sake and when its over its ggs all around.

Putting your opponent on tilt or making them second guess themselves can be huge for winning you a match.

Mind you, I'm not talking about screaming obscenities at them mid match. But after a game is over and they messed up terribly I will call it out along the lines of "Wow dude that was TERRIBLE, what the fuck did you think would happen?" Then we start next game and now they're second guessing every move they make. But its a give or take situation in my scene, pretty much everyone does it. I know other scenes where its more "chill" and people just play matches silently but that's no fun imo
    Last edited by Dug; 2016-04-29 at 02:15 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    You must not be a very competitive person, or understand how this thing works. During a tournament, even your best friend is your enemy, and you do whatever you can to win. After the competition is over, everyone is pretty much friends again. It's rare that people are big enough ass hats to garner hatred outside of the brackets. There definitely are some, but even the villains are all rather nice guys once you get to know them. .
    I am exceptionally competitive. But I also have principle. I avoid trash talking. I trash talk if the other team trash talks, but other than that, I don't bother them.

I also avoid the currently most used / abused cheese tactics. I want to win in a respectable way, not in the current cool kid way.

People don't understand this. I would rather be good with an Underpowered method than good with an overpowered method. Because then you wonder, are they actually good? Or are they just skilled at using the easiest method?