Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    A nice fantasy, but not realistic. Essentially "I should work shorter days because I want to"... well, OK, find another job then that suits you better. As long as maternity leave is a thing (and it should remain so), someone has to pick up the slack by working harder/longer.
    There are no fucking other jobs. There used to be. And people used to have that kind of negotiating power But they all got outsourced by the will of the mighty profits.

Like, where the fuck have you been for the last 30 years?

As a man with no children, I too demand maternity leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapheiros View Post
    This. Please can Blizzard get their act together and get the art department to start working on class balance. It's getting ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't even write a proper response to how stupid this is.

Although I did find it funny that she complains that people who don't take maternity leave have to make up the slack of those who do, then demands she can have maternity leave, so others can make up for her absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    What a fucking retard.

there is no other word for it. Maternity is NOT vacation. it is a SLOG getting used to this new human in your life that just cries and poops over and over..

she just wants 3 months off.. and honestly, there IS a difference between needing to pick your kids up, and wanting to duck out to have a drink with a friend. the child relies on you. its your duty to care for it. your friend is a grown ass adult who can wait for you to get off work.

honestly, the entitled dickhead...

and I also like the 'and to a lesser extent men..' why a lesser extent? equalityyyy
    I didn't take "paternity leave" per se, but I used most of my accrued vacation time (like 2 weeks from day of delivery to when I went back) to take care of my youngest when he was born. In hindsight, I wish I would have had more time off.

He was colicky from right around the end of the second week. There is nothing like getting up at 6AM to go to work, getting home at 5PM to a baby that cries that horrible colic cry that sounds like a nest of angry bees from 5PM to nearly 3AM, with only occasional brief respites (and no, nothing worked, and believe me we tried EVERY supposed remedy for colic, and sought help from the pediatrician many times). Day after day after day.

There was a week where my wife and I got less than 10 hours of sleep for that entire week.

It would have been nice if it was as peachy as going out with a friend for drinks. And what she doesn't consider too, is all those days we have to take off to pick our kid up from school because they are sick, or take them to the doctor or whatever, are all times where we lose out on opportunities to accrue time for a nice vacation, or just take a day off because we want "me time". I don't know about other people, but if I leave early, I do my best to make it up on the weekend or staying later during the rest of the week. My kids need shit and not getting paid and/or not getting my work done isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    So she's an ignorant and selfish person who thinks she deserves something she doesn't actually deserve.
    If she feels like her loyalty deserves a reward she should ask for a promotion then.
    End of story.
    Oh she just wrote a fictional book on a fantasy she had, and is just getting some free advertising to promote it. It's not like she's trying to start a movement and lobby for new laws.

I like to travel and have taken more than 1 meternity in order to do so. When done, you go find a new job.

Actually, quite a few people switch jobs frequently, like every two years. It's a specific strategy that broadens their skills through exposure to different business environments, and by seeking positions one step above their current position, enables them to climb the corporate ladder, much faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I agree with her. Just wouldn't word it such. But I think people should be able to take leave in order to deal with their personal life.

People with kids aren't the only people who have shit to deal with; in fact it's always the one that doesn't have kids who ends up taking care of grandma and grandpa when they get older.

Either way, this whole "live to work" mentality society has become absorbed in is fucked up. Like beyond fucked up. People are literally cheering for the idea of being nothing but cattle.
    I (and most people at any decent job) have something called paid time off. When I want time off, I use it, and I get time off. Pretty simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Whimsical Dwarf View Post
    Jesus, and women wonder why they on average earn less? Here's proof: This woman spends her work day complaining and plotting on how to do less work. You know, this is typical of the women at my husbands work place. The water works start if anyone criticizes their laziness, and it's excuse after excuse when they are expected to actually work.
    I've never worked with a woman that cried at work. Currently, in most meetings, I'm maybe one of two people in meeting that is male. I see nothing of what your husband claims. Do you see the same avoidance of work at your job or are you the unique snow flake that's better?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by scaphism View Post
    true but that me time is not maternity leave.
    Yes. xD I was home all the time during that and taking care of my daughter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    She thinks parenthood affords you flexibility. I can't take anything she says seriously.
    It's crazy really. My coworker that has kids, not only takes them to a shit ton of after school programs, like a soccer team and some musical crap, but works from 8 am to 9 pm. She leaves for a couple of hours to take care of the running around with kids. But, I usually go 8 to 7, after that I play games and watch TV... Not run around with brats for 2 hours...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I didn't take "paternity leave" per se, but I used most of my accrued vacation time (like 2 weeks from day of delivery to when I went back) to take care of my youngest when he was born. In hindsight, I wish I would have had more time off.

He was colicky from right around the end of the second week. There is nothing like getting up at 6AM to go to work, getting home at 5PM to a baby that cries that horrible colic cry that sounds like a nest of angry bees from 5PM to nearly 3AM, with only occasional brief respites (and no, nothing worked, and believe me we tried EVERY supposed remedy for colic, and sought help from the pediatrician many times). Day after day after day.

There was a week where my wife and I got less than 10 hours of sleep for that entire week.

It would have been nice if it was as peachy as going out with a friend for drinks. And what she doesn't consider too, is all those days we have to take off to pick our kid up from school because they are sick, or take them to the doctor or whatever, are all times where we lose out on opportunities to accrue time for a nice vacation, or just take a day off because we want "me time". I don't know about other people, but if I leave early, I do my best to make it up on the weekend or staying later during the rest of the week. My kids need shit and not getting paid and/or not getting my work done isn't an option.
    I have a daughter who had the same issues matey, Colic, and it was a nightmare, my mrs couldn't breastfeed (she's a member of the IBTC*Itty bitty titty committee) so we got her on formula, but she turned out to be allergic to something in the most common brand! so I had to track down this rare formula, having to go as far as like.. an hour from our place just to find a store that had some as I bought out the whole area!

anyone who think's Maternity or Paternity leave is a holiday is a tool.

EDIT: I used to care about career. and all that shite. nowadays, I honestly don't.. I work 9-5 and go home. I have no ambition to go higher. because higher requires more time, which means less time with my family. and fuck that. I'm content right where I am.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    Can I have a sick leave despite thankfully being completely healthy?
    Did your friend get "ghosted on okcupid"? Then leave-away, my friend!

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with her 100%. Ive been bitching about this for years. Single childless people get screwed at work all the time. They have to stay late and pick up slack for the people who spit out kids because they are always allowed to leave early, take long breaks, get days off when school is closed for snow, the kids are sick, babysitter cancelled, school sports/activities, etc.....And then every time they spit out another kid they get 3 to 6 months off work and because they cant be fired for it, no replacements are hired because then overstaffing would occur when the parent comes back from maternity leave, so all the single people have to do even more work to make up for them not being there

People with kids aren't the only people who have shit to deal with; in fact it's always the one that doesn't have kids who ends up taking care of grandma and grandpa when they get older.
    If you take care of grandma and grandpa, you too can take the 12 weeks off that are afforded to people with maternity leave (at least in the US) due to the Family Medical Leave Act. It would be unpaid, like most states currently are for maternity leave as well.

Oh shit guys Orlong is in the house now.

ABORT THREAD ABORT THREAD ABORT

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    She thinks parenthood affords you flexibility. I can't take anything she says seriously.
    In the context of work environments, I think it does. When I was single, I was often asked to pick up the slack for the parents who had to get their kids, Because their kid time was more important than anything I could possible have going on. From purely a work perspective, why should my plans of going home and binge watching Daredevil be any less important than you needing to pick up little jonny so he can make his soccer practice on time?

I use to travel for work. Those with kids, always got to use their kids as an excuse to get out of going somewhere. Yet, if I didn't want to go, I needed a better excuse than I didn't want to go or I had plans to hang out with friends. Then I had kids and I got all the perks the other parents did, They started checking with me to see if I was free, versus just telling me I was expected to go because everyone else had kid plans.

In my case I don't think they were purposely biased against single people, And when some co-workers tried to overly milk their kids as an excuse they got reeled back in. But there was definitely a bias going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    EDIT: I used to care about career. and all that shite. nowadays, I honestly don't.. I work 9-5 and go home. I have no ambition to go higher. because higher requires more time, which means less time with my family. and fuck that. I'm content right where I am.
    Oh if I could just clock out and forget it, it might be a little easier to do so, and I don't mean to belittle people who do (I was more responding to that woman's idea that parents just take all this time off - I try to make it up if possible, just because I don't want to be seen as unreliable. That and my boss is nice as hell). I just work in a field where cases are time sensitive and if I'm gone, pretty much no one is going to handle it for me. So it's either headache now, or bigger headache later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    What the fuck is this shit, your Me-Time is your VACATION just like everyone else!
    Fucking women and their stupid as fuck idea's these days, holy shit.
    Lets take 1.5 years out of the workforce because I need to remind my self that I force my self to stay later.
    What the fuck.
    The problem is that people with kids get the same vacation we do and then all the additional time off on top of that vacation that single people do not. THAT is whats bullshit!!!! Not to mention that we have to pick up their slack too while they are gone

Deleted
    There are no fucking other jobs. There used to be. And people used to have that kind of negotiating power But they all got outsourced by the will of the mighty profits.
    There are plenty of jobs out there, new markets and industries are coming along all the time. Yeah, if you have no skills or some worthless communications degree then you're basically SOL but nobody did that to you. Do you/this woman really think any business is going to want to pay you to leave the office early "because your friend got ghosted by her OKCupid date and needs some margaritas" or because you want some months off to "explore yourself". What do you think small businesses are going to do if, on a whim, part of their workforce can decide they're not coming in for the next few weeks, but still want to be paid? Who picks up that extra work?

So like I said, it's a fantasy. A nice idea, since I'm sure most people would prefer to work less, but not realistic. Here what you could do instead; save and/or invest properly for the decade or so you're working in a certain industry and then, if you get fed up/need to re-evaluate, you have money you can live off for a few months while you quit your job and do some soul searching. Whining that you're basically just jealous of parents (who necessarily, in the case of women, need time off) isn't convincing.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-04-29 at 02:07 PM.

I'll actually go one step further. I think everyone of both genders deserve the ability to take a sabbatical. The way I do it though is I literally save up money and quit my job. Usually take like a month or two for travel, then I just go find a new one when I'm ready to go back to work. I don't think employers should be required to pay someone for a sabbatical but I do believe more employers ought to offer it. In fact in the high end tech sector I'm seeing it pop up more and more with the more progressive companies.

Sometimes you just need to be refreshed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Please find some evidence of me criticising someones size or sexual status out of turn. Thanks sweetpea.
    But your a little wobbly around the mid section on guessing. Much like the woman who's weight you're criticising.
    I'm guessing you haven't had much personal experience with female anatomy.
    Those are 2 very politically correct ways to call someone fat and a virgin.
    You are really good at abiding by the forum rules but just need to give keep hitting people just below the belt to make your self feel better.

You are welcome.