10+ Year Old Account
    Nice announcement there on Twitter. Unexpected but awesome.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabever View Post
    What I don't understand is why people who don't like vanilla, are even on this thread. They have made this thread so toxic. What do they have to gain by investing time making sure Vanilla is not remade? Go play WoD. No one is doing anything to ruin WoD. Enjoy yourselves, and let those that loved Vanilla enjoy themselves.
    Someone's wrong on the internet. That, however, goes both ways.

HYPE
    I don't wanna be mean, but have you people learned nothing over the past years?

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Same could be said for the anti-current WoW people derailing all the Legion threads.
    Valid point.
    Anti-legacy have a point, any investment away from Retail WoW could threaten what Blizzard are able to do with it. Capital Expenditure is a finite figure.
    Hoping the soon-to-launch Overwatch will release developers who can make Legacy happen

Thats great news! I'm way more excited to play on a vanilla server than playing Legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabever View Post
    What I don't understand is why people who don't like vanilla, are even on this thread. They have made this thread so toxic. What do they have to gain by investing time making sure Vanilla is not remade? Go play WoD. No one is doing anything to ruin WoD. Enjoy yourselves, and let those that loved Vanilla enjoy themselves.
    Because this is about discussion. If you want echo chamber, go to nost forums or something. Some players like me genuinely like retail wow and we get really pissed when someone starts here about how vanilla was objectively better and how current wow is crap. We have also our concerns about profitability of the venture (which is something only blizzard knows and nothing they've said so far suggests it's profitable) and resources in general needed to craft vanilla servers (where again only blizzard knows the truth). In general people would support legacy realms, if there was guarantee of not draining money from retail wow. Several people here voiced their opinion that only proper way for legacy servers is that the servers are free to play, which concerns me deeply...

The moment we have guarantee that legacy servers won't impact retail wow (in the matters of splitting resources and dev team), we will go away. Except for some bad apples, which are on both sides of the argument.

Deleted
    If they wanted to say no, a no would have been said. This is big imo.

But what people forget is, that legacy servers will also make NEW money, just like someone else has said, the second they announce legacy servers in their portfolio I will sub to retail and pre-purchase Legion. I know that I would always enjoy the new content for 1-2 months and then switch back to legacy server during the patches. It's a win-win for all parties involved. More money for blizz, more activity for retail players(when patches release), more content for existing players.

People will pay money out of appreciation to Blizzard. I know I will and my friends as well. Even if one day Vanilla + retail gets stale I'd still support them because they did EVERYTHING possible to make us happy, can't ask for more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirra View Post
    The moment we have guarantee that legacy servers won't impact retail wow (in the matters of splitting resources and dev team), we will go away.
    Do you also complain about Blizzard using their resources to make HotS, Overwatch, Hearthstone, etc.? The development of all of those has an impact on retail WoW. Their top talent was moved from WoW to Titan/Overwatch, Hearthstone is shaping up to be a bigger money generator than WoW, which might see it taking priority over WoW, HotS might flop and the lost investment might be recouped by milking WoW players more, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanisstrix View Post
    You were right, I checked and they didn't say they they'd shut down the server. They did confirm on reddid though that their players couldn't always provide the costs of the servers and the team had to pay some of it themselves ("Our own player base paid for the server upkeep. There were times where we footed the bill out of pocket when it was necessary" NanoNostalrious). I could send you the link if you want.
    So 150k players couldn't always pay 1000 dollars per month. That's $0.007 each. Maybe if it was an official Blizzard server people would be willing to pay. I don't know but neither does anybody else. Claiming that official legacy servers would be a huge success and worth Blizzard's time, is a huge assumption, not backed by the facts so far.
    Anyway, like I said, if both sides can find a solution, that would be for the best, both for the game and the community.
    Ah, that would explain the confusion, i only remember that they said they would pay for it if noone else does.
    I just assumed they never had to because (i think after they changed it) the 5 payments were paid within minutes and the 400$ for Mark Kern were donated within minutes too, but that could have happened because of the hype and other variables.

Thank you for clearing that up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    Do you also complain about Blizzard using their resources to make HotS, Overwatch, Hearthstone, etc.? The development of all of those has an impact on retail WoW. Their top talent was moved from WoW to Titan/Overwatch, Hearthstone is shaping up to be a bigger money generator than WoW, which might see it taking priority over WoW, HotS might flop and the lost investment might be recouped by milking WoW players more, etc. etc.
    No as they hired complete new teams for those games as some moved from Wow to other blizzard games some have moved from those games to Wow but aslong as retail wow doesnt suffer from people wanting legacy or classic servers im fine with it.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    No as they hired complete new teams for those games as some moved from Wow to other blizzard games some have moved from those games to Wow but aslong as retail wow doesnt suffer from people wanting legacy or classic servers im fine with it.
    That's not true. Titan in particular had their top people from WoW working on it. And it's a fact that the development of other games has impacted and will continue to impact WoW, as will legacy server development. Personally I think if they pull it off right, the current version will benefit greatly from legacy servers. It will get more people back into WoW, it lets Blizzard collect data to figure out what it is about the old design that people find compelling and why the current design has failed. It also buys Blizzard time to do a big redesign on the current version to get it back into shape that will start gaining back the lost subscribers.

Game devs are not production workers, you can't simply replace their ideas/visions with anyone. They are unique creators and replacing their philosophy is very hard to do, if not impossible.

New Teams are worse than the existing experienced team, especially when the team was doing good (subs were still rising when Kaplan left for example). I am 100% convinced that the mass leaving of old talented WoW devs was not fixed just by hiring new teams.

Point is, any shifting around even within a company has an effect on the game. But it's a lot worse when ppl get moved to a new game instead of just focusing on a different aspect of the game but still staying at "their" game. At their new game they can't waste brain/work hours at helping their old team with problems. But when they stay at their game they can easily be consulted about problems as they still work, technically, on the same game. Just a different section of it.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2016-04-29 at 03:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I am happy to see any progress in whatever direction.

Deleted
    Still, a HD re-release of Warcraft 3 sounds neat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxi4s View Post
    Me too, but anything could happen. Take a few hours to get the "HYPE!" outta your system.
    Indeed, we don't know what'll result from this. But remember, they did say they have an annoucement over the weekend
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by flexks View Post
    If they wanted to say no, a no would have been said. This is big imo.
    This is correct - if they had no intention of trying vanilla servers it would've been better to just ignore the nostalrius news and continue on. Evidently they're using this current situation to their advantage and have been thinking about these 'pristine' realms for a while.

I imagine the nostalrius crowd is hoping to turn these 'pristine realms' closer to something of a legacy realm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Mirra View Post
    Because this is about discussion. If you want echo chamber, go to nost forums or something. Some players like me genuinely like retail wow and we get really pissed when someone starts here about how vanilla was objectively better and how current wow is crap. We have also our concerns about profitability of the venture (which is something only blizzard knows and nothing they've said so far suggests it's profitable) and resources in general needed to craft vanilla servers (where again only blizzard knows the truth). In general people would support legacy realms, if there was guarantee of not draining money from retail wow. Several people here voiced their opinion that only proper way for legacy servers is that the servers are free to play, which concerns me deeply...

The moment we have guarantee that legacy servers won't impact retail wow (in the matters of splitting resources and dev team), we will go away. Except for some bad apples, which are on both sides of the argument.
    Pretty much this, some of us think it is a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. Just watch if Vanilla legacy ever starts. I know I'd be asking for TBC or WotLK and I'm not even sure I'd play them. But a lot of us don't want things taken away from Legion and beyond to go back in the past for something that might blow up in their faces after a few months and everyone gets bored and quits the experiment.

- - - Updated - - -

I still wonder what impact it would have if these legacy servers come in and then fail but it isn't my money at risk. As long as current WoW is not impacted it is whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    No. This answer comes from two kinds of reasoning. One is that all these games are so different from wow that moving a developer from wow and hiring new developer has the same outcome for the new game. It has to be built from scratch. I expect that a team for a new game comes from all places in blizzard and therefore only few empty seats are left in each other project. Vanilla wow is still derivation of current wow. It's nobrainer to use experienced wow developers and these developers taken exclusively from wow would create much more empty seats than a new game. I'm somewhat in doubt that Blizzard will start heavily recruiting in order to create legacy servers. And if they do, the new people will probably end up on retail team, not on legacy team, which slows retails again...

The second reason comes from the concern about profitability of legacy servers. I'm afraid that money taken from retail would be lost and never return. In contrast HS, HotS, OW probably create/will create large profit and the money comes back to retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Pretty much this, some of us think it is a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. Just watch if Vanilla legacy ever starts. I know I'd be asking for TBC or WotLK and I'm not even sure I'd play them. But a lot of us don't want things taken away from Legion and beyond to go back in the past for something that might blow up in their faces after a few months and everyone gets bored and quits the experiment.
    Artifact weapons are confirmed to be useless after Legion, in theory they are wasted as well because you will only get use of it for x amount of time, game design is always experimentation and iteration. It could also be, that legacy servers are the next big thing and overshadow retail, or fail miserably. But so did garrisons, they failed and they learned. It's an endless cycle.