Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The GOP certainly has some real problems. Their voter base is quite literally dying off. They have alienated young women, minorities, gay people, and moderates. The true effects will not be felt for another decade, when we have a 6-3 or 7-2 liberal SCOTUS.
    You're forgetting that the conservative baby boomers of today, are the same exact, free love, sex drugs rock and roll, hell no, we won't go, never trust anyone over 30, so let's all reject society, run away and live in communes, hippies of the 60s and 80s. The baby boomers of today, weren'texactly democrats, but more along the ideology of communism.

Those same exact people then became the corporate yuppies of the 80s and 90s. That's when they started moving towards becoming Republicans. People change.

but now that the baby boomers are retiring, what? You don't think they'd like free government stuff too?

And guess who's going to get to pay for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with the GOP is that they no longer have any platform or stance other than "no".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    I have, but it really doesn't represent things very well. For instance, it sets out saying that there's two interpretations of failing to replicate a given study; either;
    1> There was some factor not detailed in the study which wasn't replicated, or
    2> The original finding was false.

The issue with this is that there's also;

3> The subsequent attempt to replicate was false or misconducted
    4> There's a certain level of uncertainty/variation within the original study, and the replication of results didn't account for this
    5> There's a level of interpretation (particularly in psychological work, which they were using) which they didn't account for comprehensively.

I'm not saying scientists can't be wrong about something, but that's how the peer review process works; by testing and re-testing results over and over, and constantly refining and improving our understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    "You are whatever gender or race you identify as."

And left wing folks are not anti-intellectual?
    I have stated that plenty of liberals are anti-intellectual. Look no further than the fearmongerong over GMO crops and vaccines.

Of course, the anti-intellectualism is actually part of the GOP platform and their talking points.

As for the gender issues, I simply find it funny that the GOP finds itself arguing against freedom and smaller government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    Centrist? Sanders is "radical left" by every stretch of the imagination... Love him or Hate him, he is in no way, shape or form "Centrist" or "Moderate".
    Sanders would be to the right of the Liberal Party of Canada, which is our centrist party. The NDP are moderately left-wing. Sanders doesn't even approach "radical left".

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    Democrats seem to be in trouble too, with the latest national poll having a tie for Trump/Clinton general. Wonder if that will keep up or tilt to Trumps favor
    Rasmussen is one of the two junk polls that I am surprised people still listen too. There are two polling services known for being biased, PPP for Democrats and Rasmussen for republicans. If you look at the polling its 38-38 but 16% would vote for an unknown third party candidate. Well it pretty clear with that statement they are trying to feed off the Bernie supporters resentment towards Clinton (Kasich voters are more likely to support Clinton in this scenario). If Rasmussen really wanted a clear picture they should have replaced unknown 3rd party with Jill Stein. With that we would have a clearer picture of the snapshot in the race but the only thing I got out of said poll was people are not really excited about either candidate.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ril_25_26_2016
    Last edited by akris15; 2016-04-29 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post
    R

You're forgetting that the conservative baby boomers of today, are the same exact, free love, sex drugs rock and roll, hell no, we won't go, never trust anyone over 30, so let's all reject society, run away and live in communes, hippies of the 60s and 80s. The baby boomers of today, weren'texactly democrats, but more along the ideology of communism.

Those same exact people then became the corporate yuppies of the 80s and 90s. That's when they started moving towards becoming Republicans. People change.

but now that the baby boomers are retiring, what? You don't think they'd like free government stuff too?

And guess who's going to get to pay for it?
    People do change, but the GOP has more than just a shift problem with change in beliefs by age. They are facing a problem with demographics, which is far more difficult to overcome. The GOP social platform alienates people, not their fiscal platform. It's common to see people become more fiscally conservative as they get older, but the social conservatism is far slower (or non-existent). It's that backwards social mentality that will be the death of them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Sanders would be to the right of the Liberal Party of Canada, which is our centrist party. The NDP are moderately left-wing. Sanders doesn't even approach "radical left".
    He is radical left to US folks.

"But that isn't the world stage."

Nobody in the US cares about the world stage.

It doesn't matter how the EU perceives him. That doesn't affect US opinion on the candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Republicans haven't won the "postgraduate" vote in an election since 1988. So by that metric, I don't find it to be too bold a claim.
    Yeah, well Republics now hold the majority in both the house and senate, and I believe this is the first time since somewhere around the 1930? (Google it yourself interested.)

In addition, the majority of state governors are also now republican as well. Not positive of the exact number right now, but I believe only about 18 state governors are democrats, while there are over 30 Republican governors.

Seems to me, the voters are moving to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    People do change, but the GOP has more than just a shift problem with change in beliefs by age. They are facing a problem with demographics, which is far more difficult to overcome. The GOP social platform alienates people, not their fiscal platform. It's common to see people become more fiscally conservative as they get older, but the social conservatism is far slower (or non-existent). It's that backwards social mentality that will be the death of them.
    Yeah, except for the fact,(as I already pointed out) republicans now hold the majority in the house, senate, and state governorships.

I'm not going to bother debating further, because opinions are meaningless.

Only time will tell. I can wait.
    Last edited by Cricket22; 2016-04-29 at 03:50 PM.

A new poll from the Pew Research Center has found:

Another interesting finding, the more education you have, the more likely you are to view the GOP as unfavorable.

These results, in my opinion, spell trouble for the GOP in the 2016 election.

Source.
    yes the GOP the establishment GOP is in trouble. The GOP has pissed off its voters to many dam times so it is ones in its own party that has a unfavorable view of the party, but don't fool yourself thinking it will hurt Trump in the least. Trump isn't the GOP he isn't part of the GOP establishment if anything him not being part of the establishment helps him

Trump will hold the record for the most ever voting for one candidate in a republican primary and that was with a very crowed field. so this could only mean two thing either people are voting in the primary that has never done so before or people are switching from democrat to republican

and lastly the latest polls have Clinton and Trump in a virtual tie and Trump hasn't really begun bashing Clinton he has just started and Trump has had negative adds and press from the start Clinton has had very few negative adds run against her and the majority of the press has been fawning all over her

I really, really hate progressives, and super right people like Ted Cruz I am no fan of either.
    Cruz is insane and the US needs the progressives because as a country you need to focus more on equal rights, the pushing towards a national (or at least state level) single payer healthcare. Maybe a cut in military funding to put on inferstructure, a bigger push in education at all levels (That isn't an attack on intelligence of Americans, just the system is set up to almost want kids to fail, while Finland has a less rigourus one and has much better success).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    Ah, didn't check which poll it was, just saw it pop up.

Should also note the gap between Trump/Clinton has been closing from other polls too, though. Maybe it is a Bernie problem. Could also mean those bernie supporters won't vote at all in the end. Should be interesting to see how it turns out as we get closer though
    Its more of a Bernie issue than the strength of Trump. Like Clinton actually needs to watch out and ensure those who support Bernie come out because that is actually an issue now so at least Bernie did at minimum what he set out to do (Ie push the Democrats to the left). So if Clinton runs towards the right now shes in trouble so if anything shes going to have to compromise with Bernie supporters (at least in promises) to ensure they come out to the polls. Right now Clinton should win the general with ease but 6 months is a lifetime in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    but is Sanders running for office in Canada? no he isn't so it is irrelevant where he falls into the political spectrum of other countries
    he is judged by where he falls into the political spectrum of this country the county where he is running for office in and he is radical left

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Cruz is insane and the US needs the progressives because as a country you need to focus more on equal rights, the pushing towards a national (or at least state level) single payer healthcare. Maybe a cut in military funding to put on inferstructure, a bigger push in education at all levels (That isn't an attack on intelligence of Americans, just the system is set up to almost want kids to fail, while Finland has a less rigourus one and has much better success).
    I don't think the US needs progressives in their current shape at all. They are just as nuts as cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post
    Yeah, except for the fact,(as I already pointed out) republicans now hold the majority in the house, senate, and state governorships.

I'm not going to bother debating further, because opinions are meaningless.

Only time will tell. I can wait.
    Like I stated earlier, their platform is designed to win congressional seats. It's at that level that people are willing to ignore the overwhelming hypocrisy in the GOP platform. They claim to be the party of less government, but their social agenda states otherwise. they claim to want to cut spending, but historically, that just sis not the case. It's easier to placate to the ignorance of a small group in Georgia, than it is to face the scrutiny of the entire American public.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    and lastly the latest polls have Clinton and Trump in a virtual tie
    7 polls have Clinton beating Trump. 1 poll has them in a tie. You're living in a fantasy if you think this race is currently tied.

and Trump hasn't really begun bashing Clinton
    Trump better be really, really careful with how he debates Clinton. It's not a good look to have a rich boisterous male on stage bashing a female.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    He is radical left to US folks.

"But that isn't the world stage."

Nobody in the US cares about the world stage.

It doesn't matter how the EU perceives him. That doesn't affect US opinion on the candidate.
    But it matters if he is acting president

7+ Year Old Account
    7 polls have Clinton beating Trump. 1 poll has them in a tie. You're living in a fantasy if you think this race is currently tied.

Trump better be really, really careful with how he debates Clinton. It's not a good look to have a rich boisterous male on stage bashing a female.
    Gotta' love the people who bring this up. If Clinton wants to run for election, she should be fair game to political attacks.

The fact people would possibly sympathize with her because she has a vagina is utterly stupid.

However, you are correct. And I foresee no matter what Trump does, the media is going to push the "HE SO SEXIST."

Kind of like how anybody who attacked Obama was a racist.

Pretty amazing polls considering what kind of shit show this democratic president has been running for 7 years. And we will be in for more if Hillary somehow makes it in.