Thread: knives

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I carry a Leatherman in my purse.
    In my mind this sentence takes on a new and wonderful meaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I carry one of these. They are great for.... ''Garden stuff''

i carry either a gerber or benchmade auto or a microtech OTF. No i dont feel like taking a pic and uploading it lol. they are just knives....i also carry a gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet I could walk around downtown, stop 100 random people, and at least 75 of them would have some form of knife on them. Even my mom carries a little swiss army knife with her, the blade's only about two inches long, but it's still a knife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I carry an ugly, unassuming little lockback on my belt for everyday tasks. I used to carry a multitool instead, but they tend to be equally bad at everything they're designed to do. The knife gets most jobs done just as well, and is easier to use for cutting.

I've carried a pocket knife since I was 6.

Genuine question

For those of you who do carry a knife about, what are the reasons? What do you do regularly enough to feel carrying a knife is a necessity as part of your every day life?

I know what knives can be useful for, but what do you carry a knife for specifically.

I'm curious!
    I don't carry it for any specific task; it is, by nature, a general purpose tool. Having it on hand is useful in a lot of everyday situations. It's on and off my belt all day when I'm doing yardwork or gardening (just about every weekend,) and the demands of my work are various enough that it's useful to have there as well. I spend my time out of the house hiking, biking, camping and making things with the kids, and it's useful in all of those situations as well.

I guess I don't see it as something I have to have a single, strong justification for carrying because I don't see carrying a knife as a big deal. It's a versatile, everyday tool. It's very rarely crucial that I have a knife to hand, but it's frequently useful for me to have one. It's a solution; not a problem.

There's a counterargument for that. "You could kill somebody with that thing!" I'm 5'3". Most people could kill me without special equipment. I don't consider my pocket knife to be much help with that. I've been in a couple of fights in my life, and I've never considered using the knife in any of them. For one thing, I didn't think the fights were worth having in the first place, so raising the stakes to life and death and prison time wasn't something I'd ever willingly initiate. For another, it's just not much of a weapon. I'd be better served in a fight with such a wide variety of easily available objects (good running shoes chief among them) that the phrase "extreme last resort" springs more readily to mind than the knife itself. I'm never so far from a claw hammer or a gun or a baseball bat or even a nice, heavy tree branch that my pocket knife deserves consideration in self defense. I need reach; not damage.
    Last edited by Kaganfindel; 2016-04-29 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    No, because I don't want to go to prison. In the UK it's illegal to carry knives in public unless you have a legitimate reason for possessing one.
    If you're fishing, out in the Woods camping, hunting etc then you're fine. Caught walking through the High Street with one on a Saturday afternoon? Not so much.
    I'm pretty ok with that rule though, knife crime is a MASSIVE problem in Scotland, and I've seen some of the horrific shit a knife can do in the wrong hands.
    Thank god for knife control laws.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

7+ Year Old Account
    i dont but my friend does.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morpen View Post
    Yeah I carry one of these. They are great for.... ''Garden stuff''
    Always good to have a weapon that doubles as a dildo. Cause you never know where the night will lead...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I use too when I was younger, I stopped when it seemed I hardly needed it for a tool.

Now I carry this because it fits in my wallet.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a Spyder I carry sometimes, generally it's unnecessary though - often it sits on the monitor stand on my desk:

Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

simply being in the vicinity of a knife will make you a hate filled stab lusting murderer.

just like being near a gun will make you want to go on a mass shooting spree.

some people on this forums.....zzzzzz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Woe View Post
    Always carry the same Victorinox Army Knife for ~ 12years.
    Until now this handy tool helped me to:
    1 fix my car
    2 fix countless electronics
    3 open boxes / letters
    4 do gardening
    5 clip fingernails
    6 fight off a dog
    7 and helped me to fend off a mugger.

so yes... extremely handy.
    1 got tools for that
    2 got tools for that
    3 use keys or those pesky things attached to my arm...... my hands
    4 got tools for that
    5 nailclipper
    6 shout boooooooooo
    7 punched him in the face

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    simply being in the vicinity of a knife will make you a hate filled stab lusting murderer.

just like being near a gun will make you want to go on a mass shooting spree.

some people on this forums.....zzzzzz
    A knife has hundreds of daily uses.

Nobody is opening boxes with a glock.

Moms aren't pulling out their carbines to section birthday cake for the kids.

Knives are for everything. Cars are for transportation. Guns are for killing.

All can be used for murder, but only one has no other purpose.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2016-04-29 at 04:07 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    A knife has hundreds of daily uses.

Nobody is opening boxes with a glock.

Moms aren't pulling out their carbines to section birthday cake for the kids.
    Although... If you really want to make sure its harmless...

10+ Year Old Account

I use a gun to shoot the caps of a beer bottle. Redneckstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have dozens of old pocket knives my grandfather gave me, but the only thing I ever "carry" is a Boker Plus I bought a few years ago...

I say carry in quotations because I rarely carry a knife with me.

The thing about a knife is that it basically enables you to gather and craft all of the survival necessities from your surrounding environment.

It sounds like some minecraft shit but every year there's dozens of news stories about people going off the road and being found dead along with their family in their car after an otherwise survivable car accident. Especially in hilly terrain. If you go over a 6+ foot cliff you are invisible to subsequent traffic and unless you remembered to wear carbide cleats you are stuck until you find a relief in the terrain which could be 4 days on foot from where you went over. (You're dead without water in 3 and if you have children with you you're not going anywhere quickly).

It sounds like some Hollywood shit but unless you live some sheltered city life and you fly everywhere it happens. It happens all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    The thing about a knife is that it basically enables you to gather and craft all of the survival necessities from your surrounding environment.

It sounds like some minecraft shit but every year there's dozens of news stories about people going off the road and being found dead along with their family in their car after an otherwise survivable car accident. Especially in hilly terrain. If you go over a 6+ foot cliff you are invisible to subsequent traffic and unless you remembered to wear carbide cleats you are stuck until you find a relief in the terrain which could be 4 days on foot from where you went over. (You're dead without water in 3 and if you have children with you you're not going anywhere quickly).

It sounds like some Hollywood shit but unless you live some sheltered city life and you fly everywhere it happens. It happens all the time.
    Dozens? In a decade right?
    That's why I always take a parachute with me. There is always a chance I need it.

Guns are for killing.

These two statements contradict.

There is such thing as justified homicide.

But then you go on to say only one is used for murder.

Make up your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to carry knives, but I travel often enough and forget that I have it with me that I end up giving all my knives to the TSA. So I don't carry one anymore.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!