Your false god of a server is dead, and wont be returning back to life. Kneel before blizzard you uncouth peasants!

But OT though, id try a official vanilla server if it happened. Doubt itd play in it for long, my nostalgia will only be diluted after being able to play and compare then to now.
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

Holy hell those tweets got me excited.

I'd be completely fucking down with a vanilla official realm.

OH BOY.

To the whiners : Vanilla realms would require 0 development. Z E R O. It all exists already. Models, skins, textures, scripts, zones, dungeons, art, whatever. It just requires a skeleton crew to upkeep... and if 3 guys in a basement with shitty servers can do so... it isn't even a concern for Blizzard. Stop being 'afraid' it would 'take things away from Legion... that's just laughable at this point.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2016-04-29 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Pretty much this, some of us think it is a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. Just watch if Vanilla legacy ever starts. I know I'd be asking for TBC or WotLK and I'm not even sure I'd play them. But a lot of us don't want things taken away from Legion and beyond to go back in the past for something that might blow up in their faces after a few months and everyone gets bored and quits the experiment.

- - - Updated - - -

I still wonder what impact it would have if these legacy servers come in and then fail but it isn't my money at risk. As long as current WoW is not impacted it is whatever.
    I actually think that the can "legacy servers" should be opened, but very very carefully. It has to be done in properly controlled enviroment, with risks and expenses properly researched (and published if possible) before the venture. Blizzard can't just go "Look, big petition, legacy servers for everyone. Turkey, turkey, turkey for everyone." . See, the only legacy server I would try out would be MoP EU PVE. Creating server for every popular expansion, every region and every realm-type is not feasible. Blizzard has to properly find out what is the proper testing server(s) for this idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirra View Post
    . See, the only legacy server I would try out would be MoP EU PVE.
    Yea, because there's such popularity and high demand for MoP realms, and that's exactly what caused all this uproar. *rolleyes*

I actually think that the can "legacy servers" should be opened, but very very carefully. It has to be done in properly controlled enviroment, with risks and expenses properly researched (and published if possible) before the venture. Blizzard can't just go "Look, big petition, legacy servers for everyone. Turkey, turkey, turkey for everyone." . See, the only legacy server I would try out would be MoP EU PVE. Creating server for every popular expansion, every region and every realm-type is not feasible. Blizzard has to properly find out what is the proper testing server(s) for this idea...
    Sure they can start carefully but once that door is opened a crack people will flood in with demands of all kinds. We'll see what happens if they ever do legacy servers. I've no idea if they will work long term or not though. I think people will get bored with them fairly quickly though.

I know this is harsh but essentially Vanilla, BC and somewhat Wotlk are one seperate game, Cata, MoP and WoD are closer to eachother than the former 3 versions of WoW. It only makes sense to create legacy servers for vanilla for now because it is actually a different game. MoP and WoD are very comparable in terms of philosophy so...

Both Mark and the Nostalgia team having a meeting with Blizz? Looking good, great way to start the weekend :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Holy hell those tweets got me excited.

I'd be completely fucking down with a vanilla official realm.

OH BOY.

To the whiners : Vanilla realms would require 0 development. Z E R O. It all exists already. Models, skins, textures, scripts, zones, dungeons, art, whatever. It just requires a skeleton crew to upkeep... and if 3 guys in a basement with shitty servers can do so... it isn't even a concern for Blizzard. Stop being 'afraid' it would 'take things away from Legion... that's just laughable at this point.
    I'm not against them but this is just flat out false. For one Blizzard would want it to be integrated with their battle.net stuff, that's going to take time. There's also a lot of bugs Nost and other servers suffer from that people will expect fixed if it's going to be official. Of course the bulk of the work (the game itself) is done but it's not "zero" development.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do find it hilarious that there are 20 ish year old players joining legacy servers and talking about how vanilla was so much better - "oh man it took me like 4 hours to get out of the starting zone". Well fuck man, sign me up. I wish I could remember vanilla like you though and I was 18 - you were like 10?

I just can't see how 200,000 players are all old men and women like myself because most of the vets have moved on from MMO gaming (time is precious when you have responsibilities) - which means a good majority of them are players that were likely in their early teens or not even teenagers when wow launched. I was 18 and I had no fucking clue what I was doing till around the end of BC and most of my early time I spent dying on my Warrior, specced stupid, gemming and gearing wrong and just doing everything "wrong" - The reason this was all awesome was because it was new and totally different to anything else I'd played at the time.

So please elaborate on how a 10 year old can look back so fondly at this? When I struggle to - I'm just not buying it. I see these videos as well of legacy servers, wide screen, max graphics - it wasn't like that AT ALL. Everyone played on square, sometimes CRT bricks, low settings and most had no idea what they were doing. Anyone who was there legitimately will tell you that raiding was a joke, class balance was a joke, PvP was a joke BUT we tolerated the early, sometimes catastrophic issues by today's standards because it was all new.

For everything that people say was awesome about vanilla, there were two or three issues. To each their own tho, I'm not sentimental.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    I do find it hilarious that there are 20 ish year old players joining legacy servers and talking about how vanilla was so much better - "oh man it took me like 4 hours to get out of the starting zone". Well fuck man, sign me up. I wish I could remember vanilla like you though and I was 18 - you were like 10?

I just can't see how 200,000 players are all old men and women like myself because most of the vets have moved on from MMO gaming (time is precious when you have responsibilities) - which means a good majority of them are players that were likely in their early teens or not even teenagers when wow launched. I was 18 and I had no fucking clue what I was doing till around the end of BC and most of my early time I spent dying on my Warrior, specced stupid, gemming and gearing wrong and just doing everything "wrong" - The reason this was all awesome was because it was new and totally different to anything else I'd played at the time.

So please elaborate on how a 10 year old can look back so fondly at this? When I struggle to - I'm just not buying it. I see these videos as well of legacy servers, wide screen, max graphics - it wasn't like that AT ALL. Everyone played on square, sometimes CRT bricks, low settings and most had no idea what they were doing. Anyone who was there legitimately will tell you that raiding was a joke, class balance was a joke, PvP was a joke BUT we tolerated the early, sometimes catastrophic issues by today's standards because it was all new.

For everything that people say was awesome about vanilla, there were two or three issues. To each their own tho, I'm not sentimental.
    I joined during mop and never got to experience vanilla, i'm not exactly sure what your point is. people like me will never get to play vanilla wow unless we play private servers, so that's what we do, cause we are humans and we do what we want within the confines of society.

p.s and if you moved on why are you here, I'm an old man but still enjoy mmo's not mmocs with year long plus content droughts though
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buildapanda View Post
    I joined during mop and never got to experience vanilla, i'm not exactly sure what your point is. people like me will never get to play vanilla wow unless we play private servers, so that's what we do, cause we are humans and we do what we want within the confines of society.

p.s and if you moved on why are you here, I'm an old man but still enjoy mmo's not mmocs with year long plus content droughts though
    The point is that the interest in the servers is fleeting.

Players want to play vanilla because they weren't there the first time, that's fine and it may well be a fun experience for a short time but in the end the issues will come to the surface and players will expect them to be fixed.

I think the issues players have with live, or more what they enjoy about vanilla is better remedied by fixing live, than pining after an old game they were never part of in the first place.

Deleted
    Yea, because there's such popularity and high demand for MoP realms, and that's exactly what caused all this uproar. *rolleyes*
    You know, there were several polls here lately about favourite expansion/time period of WoW. I clearly remember two of them. Wrath came first both times. Once MoP was second and TBC third and second time MoP was third behid TBC. This clearly shows that vanilla isn't as hot as some people think. And in this case I was giving myself as example that there isn't unified desire for single legacy realm, which I explained in sentences following your quote. But some people think that taking things out of context is fine. *rolleyes*

This was supposed to demonstrate the potential can of worms. Once Blizzard creates single legacy server, many people (who have been quiet so far) will start asking for "their" version of vanilla realms. If it starts in US, then where is EU? Asian? Oceanic? If it is PVE, then what about PVP? What about RP? And when someone wants RP-PVP? And what about the people who actually liked Cataclysm? There is currently not much demand for MoP realms, but MoP is actually popular. And I can guarantee you that when legacy servers are announced, the demand for MoP will quickly appear...

10+ Year Old Account
    Also it's because I'm pretty introverted and don't want children. A lot of if not all of my peers have moved on to getting married and having kids.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    The point is that the interest in the servers is fleeting.

Players want to play vanilla because they weren't there the first time, that's fine and it may well be a fun experience for a short time but in the end the issues will come to the surface and players will expect them to be fixed.
    I started WOW during WOTLK and feel in love with the game.

Didn't have a good experience in Cata due to two of my guild breaking up

MoP was another awesome expansion for me.

WoD was great for the 1st month and have been afk since - still subbed though due to tokens bough early on for 20k each - so 6 months left there

Played Vanilla on a private server 6 months ago and feel in love with WOW again - exactly same feelings i had during start of WoTLK. Was on it daily like a religion

Started again on new vanilla server last week and still loving it - will be ages before I'm level 60 but I'm more than happy at this super slow - grinding pace.

Happy to check Legions and will like it I'm sure - but I think it will be more short term love - and I can see myself back to a legacy server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone has a favorite expansion, just because it does not match up with yours does not mean you should mock them.

Deleted
    No. This answer comes from two kinds of reasoning. One is that all these games are so different from wow that moving a developer from wow and hiring new developer has the same outcome for the new game. It has to be built from scratch. I expect that a team for a new game comes from all places in blizzard and therefore only few empty seats are left in each other project. Vanilla wow is still derivation of current wow. It's nobrainer to use experienced wow developers and these developers taken exclusively from wow would create much more empty seats than a new game. I'm somewhat in doubt that Blizzard will start heavily recruiting in order to create legacy servers. And if they do, the new people will probably end up on retail team, not on legacy team, which slows retails again...

The second reason comes from the concern about profitability of legacy servers. I'm afraid that money taken from retail would be lost and never return. In contrast HS, HotS, OW probably create/will create large profit and the money comes back to retail.
    Maybe they'll take them from WoW, maybe not. Many anti-legacy here campaign that it'd have to be created from scratch anyway like a whole new game. I don't think so, but from that reasoning this wouldn't be part of it.
    I do think WoW still has the most developers, so any project they do would take more from WoW than other projects. Are there even any old devs left except Metzen in WoW?

Why do you believe HS, HotS and OW will create large profit but legacy will not? Why would they 'payback' WoW with the profits and not keep developing those games or whole new games?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I'm not against them but this is just flat out false. For one Blizzard would want it to be integrated with their battle.net stuff, that's going to take time. There's also a lot of bugs Nost and other servers suffer from that people will expect fixed if it's going to be official. Of course the bulk of the work (the game itself) is done but it's not "zero" development.
    Yea, i admit i didn't even consider B.net integration and that would require some work (if they even plan on doing so, i wouldn't mind keeping the realm away from b.net)

But most of the bugs on Nost won't be an issue... since they won't have to custom script everything, since Blizzard has all that information stored somewhere, but yea, some fine tuning might be required, but a skeleton crew would deal with that.

I still believe no effort\time would be taken out of their newest products.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HeroZero View Post
    Everyone has a favorite expansion, just because it does not match up with yours does not mean you should mock them.
    I'm not mocking anyone.

Simply put, this whole thing started with vanilla realms, due to their popularity, the existance of dozens of private realms over the years with hundreds of thousands of players, and the effort those fans put onto having it available and developing those realms.

Nothing of the sort have been done for MoP.

It has nothing to do with being a favorite expansion or not, simply the effort\dedication made for Vanilla ones. I thought that would be simple to understand.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same. I'm sure they can still deliver new raid content every 12+ months and expansion every 2years

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. It's a common misconception in the World of Video Games that a new, independent project takes time over another. With a company as big as Blizzard, the impact will be a non-issue.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..