Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    No one HAS to endure that.
    Well, if you care about humanity or your nation or whatever existing down the road, someone has to. Bitching about people taking the time and effort to ensure that anything we're doing now even fucking matters is pretty selfish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    why? because you say so? Discrimination is just treating two groups differently. group one is people who have not had a kid recently, group two is those that have. the second group gets a benefit and thus there is discrimination. now i will say again THIS IS NOT BAD discrimination can be perfectly fine depending on how it is done.
    There's no groups, because it's applied it on an individual level.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2016-04-29 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemoore View Post
    Way to miss the point. Choice or not, it's required to birth a child. Point is, the woman is physically unable to work for much of the maternity leave period. Point is, most companies still require you to use vacation time or take the time off unpaid. Point is, there is normally no preferential treatment taking place. I'm sure the woman in the article has vacation time she can use for her "Me Time". If not, that is a larger discussion to be had.
    Parenting is a choice though, and the article isn't specifically talking about maternity leave directly after a child is born. It even cites parents leaving early, and pushing work onto childless coworkers.

So yeah, way to miss the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    She needs to eat a salad and jog a few times a week the fat entitled bitch, honestly some women just need sterilising to save the gene pool from further destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Fair point but isn't that what you just did

My opinion is that this is pretty funny, so I posted it
    If I identify as a pregnant woman, can I then get paternity leave or will I be met with a bunch of bigotry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Well, if you care about humanity or your nation or whatever existing down the road, someone has to. Bitching about people taking the time and effort to ensure that anything we're doing now even fucking matters is pretty selfish.
    If we were in some sort of population crisis I might agree with you... but hell, if its that much of an issue why not designate certain people breeders and just pay all their expenses while their sole responsibility in life is birthing children. Similar to The Giver.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    There's no groups, because it's applied it on an individual level. There's plenty of people here in Sweden who have kids but are not eligible for parental leave.
    Well, yeah there is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    The title is obviously click-baity but the real issue here is the idea that single people are discriminated against by society, which is undeniably true, but it also seems like it's an inevitability from an evolutionary standpoint.
    I don't think its inevitable. At least it shouldn't be.

Deleted
    Well, yeah there is.
    How are there groups when eligibility for parental leave is based on individual circumstances?

There's no groups when you apply it on an individual level.
    i just said what the groups are, the fact you can move from one to the other doesn't change the fact that they are different. i can change political party all i want but it doesn't mean they are not different groups of people.

Good or bad representation of her gender?

Deleted
    i just said what the groups are, the fact you can move from one to the other doesn't change the fact that they are different. i can change political party all i want but it doesn't mean they are not different groups of people.
    There are no groups, what's so hard to understand? Eligibility for parental leave is based on individual circumstances. There's plenty of people in Sweden who aren't eligible for parental leave despite having kids.

Parenting is a choice though, and the article isn't specifically talking about maternity leave directly after a child is born. It even cites parents leaving early, and pushing work onto childless coworkers.

So yeah, way to miss the point.
    Pretty sure Maternity Leave is exactly that, time taken off directly after a child is born, illustrated by the woman stating that she "spent the afternoon plotting my escape from my 10-hour days, fake baby bump and all."

As for the leaving early, pushing work on others, etc. I agree that is crappy. It's definitely not a "Parent" issue, more of an insensitive co-worker issue. I feel the same way about smokers who get a break every hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    People always get insane special treatment for having kids, as if it doing something literally everyone can do makes you special somehow. I would rather we stop treating breeders like royalty first.
    No, raising children properly is not something everyone can do.
    A DWARF IS ONLY AS STRONG AS HER HAMMER.

There are no groups, what's so hard to understand? Eligibility for parental leave is based on individual circumstances. There's plenty of people in Sweden who aren't eligible for parental leave despite having kids.
    and whatever qualifications are needed to earn maternity leave put you in a separate group from those that don;t qualify.

Deleted
    and whatever qualifications are needed to earn maternity leave put you in a separate group from those that don;t qualify.
    No, that's not how groups works.

Is this lady crazy? She has days off, it's called vacation!
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

No, that's not how groups works.
    um yes it is a group is just a collection of individuals who share some common factor or factors.

Deleted
    um yes it is a group is just a collection of individuals who share some common factor or factors.
    ... I'll repeat it again: You , as an individual, get parental leave because you recently had a kid through either birth or adoption. That's not something you're granted based on a group. You're trying to add group distinction where there is none.

... I'll repeat it again: You , as an individual, get parental leave because you recently had a kid through either birth or adoption. That's not something you're granted based on a group. You're trying to add group distinction where there is none.
    yes and if you meet the criteria to get maternity leave that puts you in a different group then those that don't meet the criteria.

group 1 "those that meet the criteria"
    group 2 "those that don't"

treating group 1 differently then group 2 is discrimination its just not bad discrimination.

Deleted
    yes and if you meet the criteria to get maternity leave that puts you in a different group then those that don't meet the criteria.

group 1 "those that meet the criteria"
    group 2 "those that don't"

treating group 1 differently then group 2 is discrimination its just not bad discrimination.
    Holy shit, stop adding group distinctions where there are none.

Holy shit, stop adding group distinctions where there are none.
    its a distinction that exists i didn't conjure it up out of nothing. any number of groups exist its just most are inconsequential that doesn't make them not a group.