Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't know why people even still talk about "Trump's Wall" as if he's really going to do it. All it is is isolationist rhetoric. Maybe he'd do some photo-op where he flies out and lays the first few bricks, but people will quickly forget about the wall as he introduces the next act and the 24 hour news cycle moves along. There will never be a finished wall. Construction will be token, just enough to keep people believing something is happening, if that.

I find it very strange how people are always fighting amongst themselves over politics instead of going after the source.

If you don't like a politician you should of course kill him. Politicians are not humans and their lives have no value. But fighting amongst yourselves accomplishes nothing.
    People for far too long have made the mistake of confusing politicians with humans. Do away with all of them instead. Embrace anti-cosmic nihilistic chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    how American can you be when you want it made back into another country?
    Everyone knows mexico has an awful government. If they didn't then why are so many eager to leave? These people are just trying to trigger tronald supporters because they got triggered by the wall comments. Other than that those people just want to work and take care of their families like everyone else.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If they're American citizens by birth (and being born in the USA means that they are), then their views are precisely as American as anyone else's. You don't like that, which is why you're trying to pursue a silly "real American" talking point, but they're as American as anyone else is. Even if they want to "make American Mexico again".
    Or as a show I'm quite fond of put it --

Leslie: "That's not really the attitude I expect from an award-winner."
    Ron: "Everything I do is the attitude of an award-winner because I have won an award."

you do.

It's particularly silly when your country was founded by people who wanted to make their country something other than what it was. That's as American a viewpoint as you can get.
    being an American use to mean a hell of a lot more then where you was born and live and wanting to make it back into another country sure in the hell isn't one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Feigr View Post
    I find it very strange how people are always fighting amongst themselves over politics instead of going after the source.

If you don't like a politician you should of course kill him. Politicians are not humans and their lives have no value. But fighting amongst yourselves accomplishes nothing.
    People for far too long have made the mistake of confusing politicians with humans. Do away with all of them instead. Embrace anti-cosmic nihilistic chaos.
    Because people have this assumption that their vote matters. When in fact it's the people that count the votes that have the real power. This applies to every country that votes for officials.

10+ Year Old Account
    being an American use to mean a hell of a lot more then where you was born and live and wanting to make it back into another country sure in the hell isn't one of them
    No. It never did. What you're expressing is a fairly biased and ridiculous partisan outlook. Being an American means you're an American citizen, and that's where it ends. Americans who disagree with you about how the country should be run aren't magically "less American" than you; that's where you engage in blatant and baseless partisanship.

You're literally trying to manufacture some false distinction that people who agree with you are 'real Americans' and everyone else somehow isn't, which is nonsense.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-04-29 at 10:19 PM.

No. It never did. What you're expressing is a fairly biased and ridiculous partisan outlook. Being an American means you're an American citizen, and that's where it ends. Americans who disagree with you about how the country should be run aren't magically "less American" than you; that's where you engage in blatant and baseless partisanship.
    wanting it not to be America anymore literally is a hell of a lot different then disagreeing on how it should be run

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Plus, they can go around walls, or under them.
    If the cartels can dig a tunnel under the prison and break out their leader, I have a lot of faith that some enterprising young lad can dig a tunnel under the vast stretches of unwatched wall that will be out there and get people across.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Your point? They're still American citizens because a piece of paper says they are
    edit: misread

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    No, reading the rest of the opinion piece doesn't suddenly counteract Plyler v. Doe's majority opinion.

The article's author says this:

And Plyler v. Doe directly states:

That case literally answers 'what the Citizenship Clause means by the words “and subject to the jurisdiction thereof.”'

He even talks about it and admits that Plyler v. Doe directly grants birthright citizenship to illegal aliens.

Saying "it should be overruled" doesn't mean it can be ignored. Congress can't overrule it. Only the SCOTUS or a constitutional amendment can, and until one of those two actually do overrule it, it's the official interpretation of the 14th amendment.
    You cherrypicked the article, quoting only the parts that agree with your position, which were presented solely for the purpose of then explaining how these arguments can be overcome.

And that's just one article. There are many, many others, not all agree that a amendment to the constitution would even be necessary, but regardless. So what if they go the amendment route?

Congress has the right to amend the constitution, and Republicans currentlyholdmajority in both the house and senate.

If you've been following world events, European countries have begun changing their laws, specifically due to the illegal migrant crisis.

Austria just made sweeping changes in their laws, which basically enable them to deny entry, even to legitimate refugees who entering from a country deemed Safe.

Only 30 countries in the entire world have birthright citizenship, and the U.S. and Canadian are currently the only 2 in the developed world.

If you actually read the article, then you know it can be done, and I believe it will be done.

If you disagree, then that's your opinion. the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    wanting it not to be America anymore literally is a hell of a lot different then disagreeing on how it should be run
    No, that's exactly what it is. There's no difference at all.

Were the Confederate States somehow not-American because they took up arms against the US government in organized rebellion? Nobody's ever argued that they weren't American, and they went a hell of a lot further than holding up a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Well i can play that too - the magical pixie elves that live under my house told me that isn't the case. Not many people know they exist, but in reality they do and they devined from their secret pixie magic that what you said was wrong. Well, they didn't tell me - but they secretly know it is true!

...ok, i admit it, i lied. I don't have a home, just a condo. >.>
    I think you've been playing world of Warcraft just a bit too much.

Doesn't matter what you do or don't believe. All that counts are votes.

Right now, Trump's delegate count is 6 short of 1,000.

Oh! I see he just picked up 2 more!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post

Congress has the right to amend the constitution, and Republicans currentlyholdmajority in both the house and senate.
    No it doesn't. It can propose an amendment but it requires three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States) to approve it before it becomes an actual amendment. Is Civics not a required class anymore?
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

No, that's exactly what it is. There's no difference at all.

Were the Confederate States somehow not-American because they took up arms against the US government in organized rebellion? Nobody's ever argued that they weren't American, and they went a hell of a lot further than holding up a sign.
    No they weren't Americans they were Confederates and that is what they called themselves

and if Mexico is so great that they want America to be Mexico again why in the hell did they leave Mexico?

10+ Year Old Account
    No they weren't Americans they were Confederates and that is what they called themselves
    Except that the Confederacy was never a country, and they were Americans throughout.

and if Mexico is so great that they want America to be Mexico again why in the hell did they leave Mexico?
    Why did the Founding Fathers not leave British territory?

This is what I mean by you making hypocritical and highly partisan attacks.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post
    Yeah, I made a post about that earlier. They have the right to propose an amendment.
    Right now the house is: Republican (246), Democratic (188), Vacant (1). That's 56.5% Republican.
    The senate is: Republican (54), Democratic (44), Independent (caucusing with Democrats) (2). That's 54% Republican.

Both the house and senate have to pass a resolution by 2/3 to propose a constitutional amendment. You'd need 44 more in the house, and 13 more in the senate if everyone voted exactly along party lines.

Then it goes to the states. Right now the states stand as such: Republican-controlled legislatures(31), Democratic-controlled legislatures (11), Split legislatures (8).
    3/4's of the states (38) have to ratify it. You'd need all but one of the split legislatures to vote republican to ratify.

It won't happen right now. If the senate and house go much more heavily republican in the general, you might, and if they pass an amendment and get it ratified, I'll take no issue with it. That's how democracy works. The only issue I have is that it's currently entirely set in stone until that happens, and trying to argue for passing unconstitutional laws isn't the right way to go about it.

Saying you want to end birthright citizenship is perfectly fine. Saying you want to end it by passing unconstitutional laws isn't.

Last number I saw said that was at least 40% of all illegal immigrants.

Plus, they can go around walls, or under them. Particularly since there's an ocean on either end of it. A wall in Mexico will do nothing at all to prevent Cubans from sneaking into Florida.

There's also that illegal immigration numbers have been dropping since about 2007. This isn't a problem that's been getting worse.
    Umm, no. It's increasing. http://cis.org/Immigrant-Population-...d-Quarter-2015

In fact, as of right now, it's estimated there are 61 MILLION, both legal, and illegal.

http://cis.org/61-Million-Immigrants...-United-States

How many do you think our tax dollars go to support?
    Last edited by Cricket22; 2016-04-29 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    No it doesn't. It can propose an amendment but it requires three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States) to approve it before it becomes an actual amendment. Is Civics not a required class anymore?
    there are two ways to amend the constitution 2/3 of congress which is they way all amendments have been done or 38 of 50 States which has been yet used to amend the constitution

7+ Year Old Account
    there are two ways to amend the constitution 2/3 of congress which is they way all amendments have been done or 38 of 50 States which has been yet used to amend the constitution
    This is why people laugh at your arguments.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Please read the document you claim to care about before spouting ignorance again.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers