Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I want to get a Halloween costume, bunch of harbor freight gadgets and go be their god

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it ain't broke, why fix it?

The first world is filled with people who need to meddle in everything.

Stop it I say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite a few discarded their weapons and gestured to us to throw the fish. The women came out of the shade to watch our antics... A few men came and picked up the fish. They appeared to be gratified, but there did not seem to be much softening to their hostile attitude... They all began shouting some incomprehensible words. We shouted back and gestured to indicate that we wanted to be friends. The tension did not ease. At this moment, a strange thing happened — a woman paired off with a warrior and sat on the sand in a passionate embrace. This act was being repeated by other women, each claiming a warrior for herself, a sort of community mating, as it were. Thus did the militant group diminish. This continued for quite some time and when the tempo of this frenzied dance of desire abated, the couples retired into the shade of the jungle. However, some warriors were still on guard. We got close to the shore and threw some more fish which were immediately retrieved by a few youngsters. It was well past noon and we headed back to the ship...

What the fuck?

So I the midst of a tense conflict with outsiders, their women just grabbed their dudes and started fucking?

@Vanyali

Not sure what people that account is from, but fucking your warriors to prevent them from doing something (or refusing to do so until they do what you want) isn't all that uncommon, and body shaming is a a very western thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I was thinking, there are still uncontacted people around the world, living in tribes or small communities, some having maybe not even invented the wheel. Crazy, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples

Yet it seems there are quite a few. Which begs the question, why don't we contact them and show them how stuff evolved. Show them that they can live more than 30-40 years. That they don't have to sit in the cold. That they don't have to die from diseases we've found cures for. Why don't we contact them? Why do we let them live in ignorance without at least showing them that they can live longer, more meaningful lives.

And no, I don't mean build a company skyscraper and hire them in offices, but at least show them how to manufacture actual clothes, give them medical support when they need it, stuff like that. Show them at least some of the things the world has invented and let them make their choice if they want to adapt things and remain as their own communities or join their respective countries in villages or cities working as regular citizens.
    Mainly because of disease.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Not sure what people that account is from, but fucking your warriors to prevent them from doing something (or refusing to do so until they do what you want) isn't all that uncommon, and body shaming is a a very western thing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese_people

It's a tense situation though. Imagine that in our world.

"Man i'm sick of this dude. Let's jump this fo.

"Ohhhh shit."

Deleted
    "Within 20 years of Columbus’ discovery of Hispaniola, the native population fell from one million to 30,000 thanks in part to diseases, according to the Library of Congress. The Spanish conquistadors saw their diseases as advantageous weapons since the indigenous populations did not have natural defenses against the new germs. For example, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill states that Hernan Cortes had a soldier with small pox who accidentally started an epidemic that killed one-third of the Aztec empire. Epidemics of measles, smallpox and other diseases had an important role in the conquering of the Americas, as the infirmaries wiped out up to 90 percent of some native populations, according to the University of Sydney."

Tl:dr diseases

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking, there are still uncontacted people around the world, living in tribes or small communities, some having maybe not even invented the wheel. Crazy, right?

Yet it seems there are quite a few. Which begs the question, why don't we contact them and show them how stuff evolved. Show them that they can live more than 30-40 years. That they don't have to sit in the cold. That they don't have to die from diseases we've found cures for. Why don't we contact them? Why do we let them live in ignorance without at least showing them that they can live longer, more meaningful lives.

And no, I don't mean build a company skyscraper and hire them in offices, but at least show them how to manufacture actual clothes, give them medical support when they need it, stuff like that. Show them at least some of the things the world has invented and let them make their choice if they want to adapt things and remain as their own communities or join their respective countries in villages or cities working as regular citizens.
    Reason 1: Epidemic Disease:

Particularly Among Amerindians in the Amazon the lack of an immunity to illness brought over by the Columbian exchange. Many have little to no immunity and would experience a massive die off or total annihilation.

Reason 2: Ethical Concerns:

Haven't we interfered enough? We don't know if their lives are "lacking meaning," and saying our ways give meaning were as their ways don't is borderline racist in a way.

Reason 3: We can't know if they wan't contact.

Admittedly a difficult one, but we don't know if they WANT to know about us. We would be forcefully violating that. The mere act of interfering would be thrusting upon them something they may not want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quite simply because they wish to avoid us and not the other way around.

Question whatever you take for granted.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    Quite simply because they wish to avoid us and not the other way around.
    That is the other factor, many of them have a kill on contact policy towards anyone they don't know.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

They've survived this long fine while maintaining their culture, we have no right to interfere. Sure we've cured some diseases, but unless we go in there in hazmat suits we'll introduce diseases they've never had to deal with, and if we're wearing that sort of stuff they'll probably attack.

Deleted
    I'd like to visit one of these tribes and pretend im Superman. Hopefully I don't run across their version of Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    How else can I be sure that I'm right about something if I can't just dehumanize everyone else by throwing labels onto them that someone else defined for me?!

Silly girl, get with the program!
    you fascist.. man! how could you do this to me, a poor female victim!

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously the Prime Directive.

Leave them the hell alone.

leave them in peace , you not obsessed with HAVING to contacting people BECAUSE you feel like it right ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Actually, however mean this sounds, why should they wish contact? Or should we contact them?

The main result will be most of them dying from disease, likely the extinction of their language in a generation and the collapse of their culture. The scraggly few of them left will speak very bad Spanish or Portuguese and live in dire poverty. We will gain? pretty much nothing from them. Outside of them being an idle curiosity few of us will ever study them, almost none of us will ever meet them. All we would accomplish is a mini-small pox outbreak, the annihilation of another language and culture and the creation of desperate poor people whom will need government benefits to live even a meager life in our modern global civilization.

*Shrug* their at relative peace, nobody is poor comparatively and they don't seem to want contact.

I'm reminded of the movie "Avatar."

Deleted

Because if we did then we would slowly erode their authenthicity and make them reliant to us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Insisting women can't be in combat roles ignores how we've fought wars since long range combat became a thing.
    Long range combat has nothing to do with hauling 100+ lbs. of gear, being able to pick up a fallen comrade and carry them along with all your gear and theirs, as well as being able to haul that 100+ lbs. of gear for miles in the hot ass desert without any real big breaks.