Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Fable 1 was a good game but I don't even think it was close to being one of the best ARPGs of the generation, the generation which I would consider to be 1999-2006 with games released on PC/Xbox/Gamecube/PS2/Dreamcast. I think you seriously underrated the awesomeness of that period for the genre.
    I think you're grossly underrating Fable.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGod888 View Post
    Maybe microsoft will finally release Fable 2 for computers then? I have waited for so long now.
    After they prevented people from buying 3 on steam I very much doubt that..

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    After they prevented people from buying 3 on steam I very much doubt that..
    At least they released it for PC, even if it was mostly just a shitty port. I still hope they will do so with Fable 2 now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    What do you mean by "generation"? Console generation? Considering a-RPGs are one of pillars of PC gaming together with MMOs (so, to an extent, RPGs), shooters (though not any longer, I guess) and all sorts of strategy games, that would be completely wrong. A generation of players, then? Say, 10 years period? You'd have Neverwinter Nights and Gothic 2 releasing not that long before Fable. You'd have KotOR releasing roughly at the same time, and Mass Effect, Witcher1 and KotOR2 3 years later. Fable is 5 leagues below all of these games.

I guess it's a small victory for Fable if it got you interested it the genre, but your opinion of it seemsto be coming simply from the feeling of novelty. People tend to overrate things that seem revolutionary to them. That doesn't mean Fable was revolutionary by any means, or that it was one of the best RPGs of a generation. It was a solid game, I won't deny that, but nothing more.

If there's one game Lionhead made that was really groundbreaking, it was Black & White. Or maybe it actually wasn't, and my opinion only comes from the fact that it was the first PC game (well, aside of Mario and Pong ) I've played?
    Fable 1 and especially The Lost Chapters PC version is for a fact one of the best RPG's ever to be made, the other fable games were ok...they should have sticked with the original concept instead of trying to modernize it every new Fable game.

It's one of the first if it wasn't the first single player open world RPG where questing didn't feel like a chore, to this day they still can't pull it off with modern titles. So yes, I dare to say it was revolutionary. Though only the first title.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGod888 View Post
    At least they released it for PC, even if it was mostly just a shitty port. I still hope they will do so with Fable 2 now.
    And then they took it down never to be heard of again..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Better than seeing Fable turned into a cash shop moba for the Xbone i suppose. Hopefully they can find jobs under a less sinking ship mentality leadership.
    Oh god, this. I couldn't fucking believe they were going to seriously make it a fucking MOBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

loved Black & White the game were you felt like a god if you played a good or bad god it was a lot of fun.

The creatures made the game awesome, having an evil cow that torments the local villages with fire and lightning spells lol xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    And then they took it down never to be heard of again..
    Well "never" is such a strong word. Some birds tweeted me that there are still copies floating around somewhere in the ether... :P
    Anyway, they must release it sometime. They absolutely have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    Fable 1 and especially The Lost Chapters PC version is for a fact one of the best RPG's ever to be made, the other fable games were ok...they should have sticked with the original concept instead of trying to modernize it every new Fable game.

It's one of the first if it wasn't the first single player open world RPG where questing didn't feel like a chore, to this day they still can't pull it off with modern titles. So yes, I dare to say it was revolutionary. Though only the first title.
    Well, maybe it didn't feel like a chore because it might have been the first RPG to import the typical "go kill XX of Y" quests from MMORPGs and slapped a timer on top of them. Most of these quests weren't more than that. I just remembered that quest with shooting birds in the yard. And then I remembered that GTA3 (and actually previous GTA games as well) did similar quests way before Fable.

And then... Was Fable really an RPG? There were a total of, I don't know, 2 actually important choices to make over the course of the game, and one of them was in Lost Chapters. Players couldn't influence the world by their actions as in, for example, Mass Effect, Gothic (especially 1, but also 3, not that much in case of 2), the character development wasn't nearly as deep as in, say, KotOR (and I'm naming it just because it would be unfair to compare it with games like Planescape: Torment), and then there hardly were any notable characters except of the protagonist and the antagonist. There was no real freedom as in real RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout.

All in all, I'd say it was more of a glorified action game than an RPG. I still have to disagree about Fable being a revolutionary game. It might have been revolutionary in that it was one of the first games that combined elements of RPG with action games, which ultimately resulted in games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age (after Origins) or Witcher. Still, Gothic did that way before Fable, though its action aspect wasn't nearly as refined as Fable's. Fable might have been the first to get it right, I'll give it that.

I like your avatar, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    sucks, loved black and white 1/2 and fable 1/3

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Still, Gothic did that way before Fable, though its action aspect wasn't nearly as refined as Fable's. Fable might have been the first to get it right, I'll give it that.
    Don't remind me.. I'd rejoice if someone were to manage making Gothic a great and respected franchise again, after JoWood and Spellbound ruining the original franchise with Arcania: Gothic 4 and Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver killed their spiritual successor with badly done pirate bollocks.

Deleted
    Oh man, no more shitty games (except Black&White) from Lionhead. What a tragedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Utterly shattered. Fable 2 was one of the first RPG's I played after spending much of my time prior to that on action adventure games and I still consider it one of my favorite games of all time.

But in the end, looking at what Lionhead has done the past 5-6 years, I can see why Microsoft closed them down, they seemed determined to 'prove' that they could do something other than RPG's and whilst I personally enjoyed Fable: The Journey, it likely failed miserably as far as sales go due to it being a kinect game. At the end of the day, they hadn't pumped out a major title in 6 years and their upcoming Fable Legends didn't look, feel or play like the series that made the studio so popular and would likely have flopped too.

Hopefully Microsoft give the IP to someone else who can truly do the franchise justice and give up on the idea of a MOBA with the Fable name slapped on.

Say what you will about Molyneux, but without him the Fable series never really stood a chance in the hands of the new leadership at Lionhead.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    What I mean is like a FF7 style thing
    Fable doesnt deserve a ground up remake.

It's a medicre RPG in a time when the golden goose RPGS of all time were fresh Baldur's / Torment / Morrowind / Diablo LoD / Fallout

Fable felt like a sad joke. And unfortunately for it Morrowind was launched 2 years prior and surpassed it in every way.

Infact if FF7 had the art design of 8 or 9 it also wouldn't deserve a remake. But those fuck polygons are harder to look at compared to Squall. I would be HAPPY to see a FF6 3D scale remake at some point or at the very least a parasite Eve / Legend of Dragoon steam port.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-04-30 at 04:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post

It's a medicre RPG in a time when the golden goose RPGS of all time were fresh Baldur's / Torment / Morrowind / Diablo LoD / Fallout

Fable felt like a sad joke. And unfortunately for it Morrowind was launched 2 years prior and surpassed it in every way.

Infact if FF7 had the art design of 8 or 9 it also wouldn't deserve a remake. But those fuck polygons are harder to look at compared to Squall. I would be HAPPY to see a FF6 3D scale remake at some point or at the very least a parasite Eve / Legend of Dragoon steam port.

Yeah I'm gonna say no. Fable was better then Morrowwind.

Let's also note Baldur's Gate and Diablo LoD and Fallout were different rpgs. Baldurs is top down and more like Pillars of Eternity which Fable wasn't.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Fable was shit. The first game was average and the others in the series were turds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    Fable was shit. The first game was average and the others in the series were turds.
    No it wasn't. Fable I was the best in the series 2 was decent 3 was ok. They were good games and very enjoyable. Then again I'm not going to just say "THIS IS SHIT" Totally not constructive.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

No it wasn't. Fable I was the best in the series 2 was decent 3 was ok. They were good games and very enjoyable. Then again I'm not going to just say "THIS IS SHIT" Totally not constructive.
    Best in series

What made Fable itself stand out? The game was extremely limited in what it allowed you to do. Narrow paths to follow. So much for do anything you want hell you even had to be female with the same predetermined character.

Morrowind came out 2 years prior and already gave the player everything Fable promised and could never come close to delivering since it was all a lie.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's also note Baldur's Gate and Diablo LoD and Fallout were different rpgs. Baldurs is top down and more like Pillars of Eternity which Fable wasn't.
    Tell me how Fable is better then Morrowind

Open world VS linear world
    Make your own story VS Choice A or B
    Make you own character VS Fighter Mage rogue
    Male or Female VS Male with no customization

please Lightsong don't joke. Fable was Ultra RPG lite. Morrowind and Baldur's are the epitome of the RPG experience.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post

The hyperbolic salt is real.

Fable absolutely would deserve such a remake, game was great. Whether or not it needs it is debatable since the graphics hold up fine. Most of those games you mentioned I had literally 0 interest in.

Legend of the dragoon was probably thee game that got me hooked on RPG's though, was one of the few games that really just clicked with me. I'd buy a console just for that game alone if they decided to make a 2nd or a remaster.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2016-04-30 at 05:00 PM.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Funny thing I notice in this debate: The people that call Fable the best RPG ever, have no interest in the RPGs actually referred to on a broad level as being the best ever. They just wanted a goofy platformy-adventurey game with some stats tied to it.