Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Cash shops are absolute bullshit. Cash shops that offer any statistical advantage are even worse.

Every item in a cash shop is an end result that could be the reward of some in-game activity, whether it be crafting, a lucky drop, or a reward from a quest or boss.

You can argue against sub fees all day, but the bottom line is that cash shops exist with the idea that you'll be compelled to spend the equivalent of a sub fee anyhow on it, if not more. And if you do, what's the difference between that and a sub, aside from one model giving you a game that's had exactly that much potential reward removed from it.

I suppose playing dress up and subsidizing freeloaders makes sense for some gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothynyas View Post
    nice parrot btw
    Thanks, my photoshop skills are legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothynyas View Post
    wouldnt it feel better to have unlocked a new skin for yr weapon and it to have a bonus stat on it ?

like + 2 % haste or crit or str or int
    or some extra passive ability that gives you a tiny feeling of being proud of the accomplishment
    compare it to earning flight skill in WoD you undertake a massive amount of work to get it and the reward should be just

take the apocalypse after unlocking a skin it could the colour of yr virulent plague or Outbreak a different visual effect or a further range to spread
    or 1 in 3 double proc or anything that gives it satisfaction for you the player who wields it
    and you have what 12 skins to unlock ? so you Will have a Cause to get them all
    you will feel its rewarding and its like a surprise when you find out what the new skin with the new ability does or bonus stat
    and now you can shift through that window on yr artifact forge to find the most pleasing adjustment to your weapon

do you catch my drift ?
    If you're saying that earning things like skins in-game through work, is a better way of doing things than simply being able to buy stuff for real money, then yes, I agree with that.

However, I'm not sure that giving different skins different stat bonuses (in the case of artifacts) is a good idea. It would likely make certain skins obsolete because some would be better than others.

Anyway, I'm still having trouble figuring out how this is relevant to my first post. This is a discussion about microtransactions in general and why many are against games which allow you to buy items with stat-values via real money.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Looking cool doesn't give someone an advantage over anyone else.

Precisely this. You can spend all the money to make your character look good and it wont help you play the game in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
    Thanks, my photoshop skills are legendary.

If you're saying that earning things like skins in-game through work, is a better way of doing things than simply being able to buy stuff for real money, then yes, I agree with that.

However, I'm not sure that giving different skins different stat bonuses (in the case of artifacts) is a good idea. It would likely make certain skins obsolete because some would be better than others.

Anyway, I'm still having trouble figuring out how this is relevant to my first post. This is a discussion about microtransactions in general and why many are against games which allow you to buy items with stat-values via real money.
    no you cant buy it with real money is what i forgot to mention , just like vanilla you need to work long and hard to get there.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Looking cool doesn't give someone an advantage over anyone else.
    In a nutshell, this.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Cash shops are absolute bullshit. Cash shops that offer any statistical advantage are even worse.
    So you expect all content to be free since you paided box price. Sorry but cosmetic cash shops isn't bullshit in anyway. Even more so when they support the game enough to where all other DLC is free. Like for example all charaters and maps are free in Overwatch but the pink hat cost you $2.99
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
    Also, "best looking stuff" is a matter of opinion.
    Ehm, to a certain extent. I'm sure a whole lot of people would argue that MoP CM set is better looking than the average dungeon set. Things like detail, size, effects and such appeal to (almost) everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    You've obviously never been in a dance battle.
    Win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So you expect all content to be free since you paided box price. Sorry but cosmetic cash shops isn't bullshit in anyway. Even more so when they support the game enough to where all other DLC is free. Like for example all charaters and maps are free in Overwatch but the pink hat cost you $2.99
    In a game who charges the price of a full new AAA titlte for each expansion, 8-25 euro for in-game services and a ridiculous 13 euro per month sub fee, yeah, things should definitely be free. Saying otherwise is pretty much just bending over willingly and ignorantly.

No other game ever would get away with having a cash shop on top of all that, and Blizzard can only do it because a) It's fucking Blizzard and people will play WoW no matter what, and b) their cash shop is fairly small with only a handfull of pets and mounts. And even then, they regularly catch heat over it, so much that they had to give in and make the Moose, which was intended to be an in-store mount, to be obtained from raiding instead.

In game-shops are perfectly fine as a business model for free/very cheap games, especially when they only sell cosmetic gear. Counter-Strike, Dota2 and Path of Exile are a few games who does this perfectly. Or in Blizzards case, Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm. All of those title are perfectly fine for using in-game shops, because they're designed with that in mind and the money you pay for stuff are money you saved on not having to buy the game.
    Last edited by Thrif; 2016-04-30 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I'm talking more specifically about persistent update multiplayer games such as MMO's. If it's a single player game, yes, I expect all the content if I pay for the box price, just like I expect to see all of a movie if I buy a ticket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks provide no tangible difference between performance, and whether it's something that looks great or terrible is subjective.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Looks provide no tangible difference between performance, and whether it's something that looks great or terrible is subjective.
    You completely ignore the reality of what games are and the different ways people derive enjoyment from them.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the difference in the power felt by getting a +1 strength gear vs the power felt by getting closer to finishing your collection ?

I find microtransactions a bit problematic but, if it's only cosmetics then it's not a big deal. However, one big exception (in my opinion) is when a company is double dipping. Sub fee+microtransactions without the cosmetics from those transactions being obtainable in game through a large investment of time and/or effort.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Ehm, to a certain extent. I'm sure a whole lot of people would argue that MoP CM set is better looking than the average dungeon set. Things like detail, size, effects and such appeal to (almost) everybody.
    Sure, there'll likely be cases where the majority agree that option A looks better than option B. So what? There'll still be people who find option B to be better looking, and thus "best looking" is subjective.

Take for example those who choose to transmog their gear to look like some classic green set. Compared to most gear we get nowadays, the classic ones are horribly detailed, yet some people prefer those over the newer sets.

I like to beat Metal gear solid saving Otacon and Meryl off the same save in 2 plays so I can play as Snake again but dressed in a fancy tuxedo.

No other game ever would get away with having a cash shop on top of all that, and Blizzard can only do it because a) It's fucking Blizzard and people will play WoW no matter what, and b) their cash shop is fairly small with only a handfull of pets and mounts. And even then, they regularly catch heat over it, so much that they had to give in and make the Moose, which was intended to be an in-store mount, to be obtained from raiding instead.
    Don't pretend that Blizzard is some special group of assholes doing what they can to nickel and dime their playerbase. Anyone else in their position would do the exact same thing. The only reason other MMORPGs don't get away with a subscription and a cash shop is because they failed to get the business Blizzard does.

But there is Final Fantasy 14, which requires a subscription and has a cash shop. It's a great game too.

Having all of the unique mount models on the shop and giving us 50 reskinned boars to earn in-game is pretty fucked up. But no, it has nothing to do with prestige. Honestly a store mount is just a good way to avoid tools.

Deleted
    Here is the thing OP, not buying cosmetic items does not get you excluded from groups, not paying for powered up gear will get you excluded, it has a direct consequence in game in the gameplay experience, if you have played some FTP mmos like runes of magic, you will understand how this exactly works which was a game that contained dungeon like raids and had a cash shop which granted both vanity and powered up gear.

The people who did not cash in on the power items were excluded as the current content had certain stat caps, you needed to have including hp checks otherwise you would get one shotted, the game was designed specifically like this.

Vanity items do not create these scenarios and the only thing that should exclude you from current content is skill, not the size of your in real life wallet, people want to at the least get the chance to play the content.

Don't pretend that Blizzard is some special group of assholes doing what they can to nickel and dime their playerbase. Anyone else in their position would do the exact same thing. The only reason other MMORPGs don't get away with a subscription and a cash shop is because they failed to get the business Blizzard does.

But there is Final Fantasy 14, which requires a subscription and has a cash shop. It's a great game too.
    And you know this how, exactly?

Take Dota2 and HotS for example. Dota2 is guaranteed to have an extremely much larger fanbase since it's a clone of the beloved original custom map.
    Dota2: Free to play, all heroes free, full skins for heroes 2 euro.
    HotS: Free to play, 10 euro/hero, 5-10 euro per full skin for hero.

Valve also hands out millions of dollars in price money for their games, much more than Blizzard does for their titles combined.

I'm not saying that Blizzard is the only greedy company wrenching dimes and nickles of their fanbase, but there's definitely a spectrum, and they're on top of the list.

Prestige is the difficulty in obtaining it, not the looks.
    And it simply being "the best" is very subjective.
    I like some of the store mounts, and I dislike some.
    Equally with the prestigious items earned in-game, some of which I like and others I think are damn ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

In a game who charges the price of a full new AAA titlte for each expansion, 8-25 euro for in-game services and a ridiculous 13 euro per month sub fee, yeah, things should definitely be free. Saying otherwise is pretty much just bending over willingly and ignorantly.

First off many games have been doing a optional cash shop and gotten away with it just fine.

Second they have every right to make content after a games release to make more money. When you spend that $60 you are buying what is available to you and nothing more. Don't like it don't buy it.

But yes optional cash shops are just fine. You are getting all future content (You know shit that isn't even made yet) free due to said cosmetic cash shop. If you are pissy you got to pay $2.99 for ur charater to have a pink hat then your priorities are fucked up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'm talking more specifically about persistent update multiplayer games such as MMO's. If it's a single player game, yes, I expect all the content if I pay for the box price, just like I expect to see all of a movie if I buy a ticket.
    Example: You bought Witcher 3 and can only expect the content on the disk to be what you get. Expecting more then that is your own fault.

You don't get the two DLC's for free because you bought the full game. You see what is available and based ur opinion off that on if its worth $60 or not. You don't get to sit there spent $60 and go (I WANT EVERYHING CURRENT AND FUTURE MADE FOR FREE)

Doing so makes you (and I hate this term) act entitled and your not.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD