View Poll Results: Would you play Adventure Seasons?

Voters
8. This poll is closed
  • Yes - at least once.

4 50.00%
  • No - I only want the new content.

4 50.00%
    Deleted

WoW Adventure Seasons - A Legacy Server concept!

What ho,

This is a simple concept that I'd like to propose with regards to Legacy Servers, and how best to implement them. I approach this topic on the following premise:

• People seem to want different things from a Legacy Servers. Some want the pure Classic (vanilla) experience, while others want Wrath of the Lich King or another state of the game. Some just want the older content to be relevant again, while others yet want a different experience but don't want to see the new game systems go. In short, there is no easy answer to just what a Legacy Servers ought to be. But we can all probably agree that there have been many high-points over the course of WoW's lifespan, and it seems a shame to let all of that old content and hard work by Blizzard go to waste. There are many more fond memories and strong friendships that could be formed across the plains of Mulgore or in the murky waters of the Zangarmarsh - if only Blizzard would send out the party invitations!

• Blizzard developers (I believe Ion Hazzikostas in particular) have previously approached the infamous content gaps we experience between expansions as acceptable, making the point that perhaps WoW activity could be cyclical and that there's nothing wrong with that. I both agree and disagree. I think it's fine if new content is cyclical, because that tends to make periods of increased activity particularly exciting. But it also entails that, for months at a time, we don't see any new content and the game as well as its community stagnates.

World of Warcraft Adventure Servers (& Adventure Seasons)

This is what I'm proposing, and I would like to get meaningful input on it. Adventure Servers would be a new type of game servers, accessible to all players with an active subscription (and the proper game licenses attached to their accounts).

• A new type of server - Adventure Server!

• Each Adventure Server lasts for one Adventure Season, before it is closed.

• An Adventure Season is essentially a certain time-period when a particular part of the game is active on a particular server. For example, The Burning Crusade with all its content and game systems. Let's imagine a TBC season lasts for six months. Over the course of those six months, you and your friends will have the chance to experience Outland in all its glory along with thousands of other people. Watch the opening of the Dark Portal, venture through the Hellfire Peninsula, and complete all the raids as they unlock.

• Naturally, each season will have the game systems that were available at the time. The same talent trees, level restrictions, and so on.

• Characters played on an Adventure Server for the duration of the Adventure Season will be migrated to your normal server of choice once the season ends, where they may continue their adventures in current content. Sort of like how seasonal characters become non-seasonal in Diablo 3.

• An Adventure Season comes with certain rules and conditions (like the new Mythic+ dungeons in Legion). For example, one might be a conventional Cataclysm Adventure. Another might be a Burning Crusade Adventure. One might last six months. Another might last a year. Some could have stronger enemies, while others could reward less experience points.

• Ideally, there would be around 1-5 active Adventure Seasons per game region at any given time. Too many and you risk emptying normal servers; too few and there might not be something for everyone to do.

• When playing an Adventure Season, you'll be able to gain some nifty and unique rewards for participating. Remained until the end in Mists of Pandaria and did all the content over the course of a season? You could get a special something for that. How about the chance to craft previously removed items, like the Legendary cloak - or what about the opportunity to ring the gong in Silithus? Perhaps one of the rarest mounts that was awarded when MoP was current content? Or did you and your guild perhaps defeat the Lich King before any other guild during a season? That's another good opportunity for a reward.

Ultimately, Adventure Servers (& Seasons) will:

1. Let players experience old content pretty much as they did back in the days.
    2. Let Blizzard re-use old content so that nothing is ever left to collect dust again.
    3. Close the gap between expansions in a sense; there will always be a new and exciting journey to embark upon. Ideally, an Adventure Season will always begin on an Adventure Server about 6 months before a new expansion is released, giving players something fun to do while waiting.
    4. Ensure "Legacy Servers" are only active for a pre-determined period of time, which will fix the issue of them not receiving new content beyond their final patch.

What do you think - would you perhaps be willing to participate in an Adventure Season every now and then?
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2016-04-30 at 09:51 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    issue is for MOST people, (Like 90%) it takes more then 6 months to start from level 1 freash and get to the end of the game... farming, grinding, weekly lockouts, and it takes along time to get fully geared...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaguestorm View Post
    issue is for MOST people, (Like 90%) it takes more then 6 months to start from level 1 freash and get to the end of the game... farming, grinding, weekly lockouts, and it takes along time to get fully geared...
    Sure. I think there is room for some longer Adventure Seasons, lasting a year or so.

I don't think people understand.

We don't want gimmicky realms.

We don't want pristine crap.

We don't want anything like what's suggested here.

We just want a vanilla realm. Win?

All this 'suggestions'\'alternatives'\'gimmicks' are just weird, drop them

Deleted
    Most people really want legacy progression servers, with the exact same feel as before. Not this gimmicky stuff :/
    Still, very well thought out

10+ Year Old Account
    If they could re introduce the old world on live, and create legacy realm for at least vanilla, tbc and wotlk, the game re playability will be even better and I would consider the game complete. I don't like "seasons".
    If they re introduce the old world on live I assume most of the playerbase will play on live most of the time.
    And those who don't, will at least play on legacy realms. Otherwise they would not play at all so ...

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post

Actually. Most of you guys cant agree with what you want.

That's always going to be the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post

Exactly, stop giving us stupid alternatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    All discussion of classic (which covers legacy servers) should be here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Megathread