Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Gotta love those ride or die chicks.
    My husband appreciates it too, we're like a Bonnie and Clyde team.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I wonder what kind of gun? Hopefully it's a old 30" 12g sidexside. That's what I will imagine in my head.
    Does not matter. It could have been a .22. Which by the way is very capable of killing someone. Whatever it was, it got the job done. Good thing she had it or her husband and her both may be dead now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Doesnt really matter, because the fact remains that they dont benefit your society as much as they hinder it.
    You denying it did not matter to her and her husband? Lets look at the facts again in case you missed them. A thug breaks into their home, stabs her husband and without her having a gun, I am sure she would not have been able to beat him up physically. If you are lucky enough to live to 80, you will see just how weak you are. Lol.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2016-04-30 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah lets look at the facts, your country has as much if not more gun crime than 3rd world countries, your trained professionals regularly fly off the handle, most likely due to this and your normal gun users have no training, no accountability and no safety (arguably this extends to the professionals as well).

I dont care anymore if your nation wants to keep this misbegotten safety blanket, but dont glorify it, at least acknowledge the fact that you dont even understand how to play with your favourite toys.
    Showing how having a firearm can save your life is not glorifying them so much, as stating a fact. And really, a lot of us here do not care what some others think about our gun rights in another country. They do not live here and we do not live there. What you do in Scotland is your citizen's business.

And here I thought the thread was going to be a dud. I guess as the sun sets they start to come out.

/sips tea

...at least acknowledge the fact that you dont even understand how to play with your favourite toys.
    What does this even mean?

Doesnt really matter, because the fact remains that they dont benefit your society as much as they hinder it.
    And what would be your solution? Go around and politely ask for the guns to be handed over? Or should we take them with force?

You see, there is no reasonable way to disarm the public (and it shouldn't be done, anyway).

Says it "Doesnt really matter" is a very shallow thought, because it most certainly did matter in this situation.

It means that other nations have guns, and yet they arent even close to mistreating them as badly as you guys do.
    Exactly what percentage of our population mistreats guns? (hint: I know the answer, do you?)

I don't think many pro gun people understand that most of the issues are with the NRA, I have no problem with guns and think they can be helpful. I would hope most gun owners are responsible people and if polling is correct most won't mind common sense gun reforms and safety innovations unlike the NRA. No pro gun reform person would ever say guns can't ever be used for any good so while these stories are nice but they don't move anyone one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I wonder what kind of gun? Hopefully it's a old 30" 12g sidexside. That's what I will imagine in my head.
    Giving their age, probably a Tommy gun if they were cool and trendy or a Musket if they were more of a classic couple.

Do we really have to pull up the same statistics you can find on the gun megathread to prove that the US has a ridiculous amount of gun crime and mistreatment. I would have thought this was a fact to everyone by now.
    Go ahead, give us a refresher.

Lets start simple: What percentage of our population is murdered by a gun every year?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    And here I thought the thread was going to be a dud. I guess as the sun sets they start to come out.

/sips tea

What does this even mean?
    Lol! Yep. I believe strongly in the old saying, " God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal." In this case a 80 year old woman had the edge over a 25 year old punk.

And I think he meant we do not use them only for target practice. hehe.

10+ Year Old Account
    It literally worked in the UK, all it took was one school shooting to shake the nation, if you guys dont care enough thats not my problem, but I cant brainstorm an instant solution on a WoW forum for you.
    The situation is dire over here man. Felons can buy guns on the internet or at guns shows from private sellers with zero background checks or accountability. People walking into stores with AR-15s and AKs strapped to their backs. It's like the wild west.

The thing about it is the NRA has sold them this narrative, that it's a god given right and they keep preying on the fear of the average conservative voter. At the same time they spend millions on advertising and lobbying, outright buying whoever they can't squelch completely.

It's a messy situation that is entirely thanks to unchecked greed like many of the dysfunctional systems my generation will have to deal with. For myself and the people in my community all I can say is we take it one day at a time and try to keep the lunatics from taking over completely.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but again, the negatives vastly outweight the positives. Well then dont post on an international forum, theres plenty of threads about the shit shambles of a country the UK is, and by all means slam us on those, but If I see something wrong on a forum like this, Imma let the OP know about it.
    You will not see me bashing Scotland on matters what they want there. Or actually any country. And sure you can post it if you want. But do not expect us to look at it as anything which really matters.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2016-04-30 at 11:41 PM.

Good on her. I've got no problem with responsible gun ownership.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

snip
    Lets keep it simple for everyone and trim out the fat;

0.003% of our population dies every year to a gun that is non-suicide related. That would be murder/homicide.

Chicken little comes to mind.

If you were to remove concentrated cities where most gang bangers reside that number would plummet further. (including firearms violence period)

After a burglar killed someone in your house, it's normal to think that he might kill you too. Therefor the act of this woman is self-defense.

Everyone that hurts someone, without it being self-defense, should be punished by law.
    /Zetsumei

In that case lets keep trimming.

Status quo - Yay or Nay.
    I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else and with no regrets:

I'm all for trying to trim 0.003% even lower. I draw the line when you start effecting tens of millions of law abiding citizens for the sake of grabbing another 0.0001% gain.

Should we pass a law that imposes on millions of people for the sake of 1 life? No. No we should not.

There are other ways to trim that number without going that route. Poverty, lack of jobs, mental health - all these come to mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking christ here we go.

1.3% of all deaths are gun related.

There were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015, killing 475 people and wounding 1,870.

There were 64 school shootings in 2015

13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015
    26,819 people were injured

The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.

---------

Theres the stats for an object designed soley for killing, countries who also have guns dont have these stats, so logically the solution is to get rid of them, or regulate them. Ignoring the problem doesnt seem very clever to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Well thats upto you, Im not expecting anyone to care about what I say, but at the very least you must agree that the situation can be improved.
    Gun related deaths are far less then death's related to smoking tobacco. http://www.tobaccoatlas.org/topic/smokings-death-toll/ notice the rate in the US is lower than the UK's.

There is a lot that can be done, such as harsher penalties for using a firearm when committing a crime. Better background checks to prevent criminals or those with mental health issues from getting a firearm. The answers to these issues is not taking away guns or making it harder to get them for lawful citizens. But looking at the root cause of crime to begin with.
    The statistics for some areas in the US will show a much higher rate of firearm deaths. Such as Chicago, New Orleans, etc. Large cities with high crime due to drug wars and poverty. You compare Vermont with any country in the world and I bet you would be surprised how low their crime rate is and death's from firearms. They have the most liberal gun laws in the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    After a burglar killed someone in your house, it's normal to think that he might kill you too. Therefor the act of this woman is self-defense.

Everyone that hurts someone, without it being self-defense, should be punished by law.
    Absolutely. The issue some have is the weapon she used. Had it been a knife or baseball bat, frying pan, you would not see much negative response. :P

10+ Year Old Account

Theres always contributing factors, but the fact of gun safety being awful is a factor that will always exist regardless of poverty or gangs. Thats an avenue you can actively look towards improving as well. But at least we agree on the fact that you can increase the safety surrounding firearms.
    I have no issues with requiring a safety course be taken when you purchase a firearm. But it does not have to be some long drawn out 8 hr course. You can teach a person a proper safety lesson using a firearm in less than 30 mins. States passing laws such as Ohio has for carry/conceal permits, which require you to have your firearm while in a automobile to ether be in a holster on your person or locked up in a case would help also.