Poll: Suramar - hit or miss?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Suramar - hit or miss?

Since there are a couple of other threads talking about this, I'm gonna keep it simple and just ask a binary question to get a rough idea of the statistics on MMOchamp: is the idea behind Suramar (lots of lore, purely cosmetic rewards here and there) a hit or miss? Yes or no? Aye or nay? Da or ne? Ja or nein? Igen or nem? Alright I'll stop now.
    Last edited by Exilian; 2016-05-01 at 12:36 AM.

No rewards is always bad, making it optional is good but things need replayability
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Lore in this game is not very good, so it being the only reward, is a miss.

I think its a hit, not everything has to make your character stronger.

Its not just a bunch of cosmetic rewards, it looks like you get a bunch of artifact power as well. Beyond that it'll unlock the Suramar world quests which are likely very rewarding. Whats missing from Suramar is a bunch of junk you'd vendor anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    This zone is bad because it didn't give me raid gear even though I can get gear by doing literally any other content in the game

Suramar is a BIG miss but not for the reason stated in the poll. Its a miss because it is yet another antisocial mechanic, which the game does not need. The flaw with the game is that it is too antisocial. Suramar will only encourage people to talk less and go play by themselves. I would actually remove it from the game before it even goes live because it is THAT bad. It will damage WoW further.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing the story quests unlocks the world quests in the zone. I'm sure they will have rewards, I haven't done it all yet. The questing and story is amazing so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Suramar is a BIG miss but not for the reason stated in the poll. Its a miss because it is yet another antisocial mechanic, which the game does not need. The flaw with the game is that it is too antisocial. Suramar will only encourage people to talk less and go play by themselves. I would actually remove it from the game before it even goes live because it is THAT bad. It will damage WoW further.
    It's questing, and questing is mostly a solo sport anyway so this is a moot point. Plus like it has been said, completing this will open up world quest. These specifically seems to be more social.
    Last edited by Bluespiderman57; 2016-05-01 at 02:58 AM.

Suramar is the 80's dream. Arguably the best looking zone ever created thus far. With the strong magenta, blue and street night lights at dusk, this thing just screams Miami Vice, Miami Nights! This zone has so much potential. I mean this is a pvp'ers "wet dream " of a zone. Imagine they put random chests that spawned in there, in different buildings and floors. Add random buff spawns too and vendors. I mean that city could be the GTA dream that wow has always needed. The detail and amount of models used in that zone is "next level". Make us spill blood in the streets there. This is the dream zone. Im wet . . .
    Last edited by Cheerbleeder; 2016-05-01 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    It has excellent potential for world pvp which has been basically dead since TBC. On top of that Blizzard could easily put in group quest to incentivise cooperation. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    No rewards is always bad, making it optional is good but things need replayability
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but cosmetic rewards are rewards. Hence, you know, the word "rewards" after the word "cosmetic."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Oh yeah how dare they create a zone to tell a story. How horrid of them to give an extra option for a different kind of player. Lemme guess anything that isnt raids is bad to you isnt it?
    I'm a mythic raider and even I disagree with the OP. Lore is important to the game. More important than game-play mechanics I might even argue. Without the story the game would be hollow and dead.

It depends on how many quests it has.

I heard that "it's big", but if it's only "big" compared to other Legion zones, then that's not big at all (Legion zones have way fewer quests than what we normally see) - and then it's a complete miss, because not only there's no lasting content, there's little one-time content.

If it *is* big compared to non-Legion zones, ie, if the number of quests is 300+, then it's a hit with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Lore in this game is not very good
    what..

gtfo

If it's like Tanaan or Timeless Isle, then it's a miss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It depends on how many quests it has.

I heard that "it's big", but if it's only "big" compared to other Legion zones, then that's not big at all (Legion zones have way fewer quests than what we normally see) - and then it's a complete miss, because not only there's no lasting content, there's little one-time content.

If it *is* big compared to non-Legion zones, ie, if the number of quests is 300+, then it's a hit with me.
    Found the number of quests, it's totally unspectacular (236 with tons of them being special non-quest quests; for comparison, Jade Forest has more than 300 quests with less non-quest ones), so that's a complete miss and a non-event.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a win for me.
    It's a one shot focus on story and at the end, adds another pool of world quests.
    The quests themselves are still buggy but flow well. It's got a clear story to it but it's not an on-rails questline that just has me go from point A to B to C and so on.
    Grinding is mixed in a bit as well; there's a zone currency that's earned from killing stuff, quests and just finding it on the ground. The zone doesn't appear to be another thing to just check off the list. There's a good chunk of endgame content as there is; Suramar moves at a slower pace, so if you're impatient and want to rush through stuff, you may be disappointed.

Found the number of quests, it's totally unspectacular (236 with tons of them being special non-quest quests; for comparison, Jade Forest has more than 300 quests with less non-quest ones), so that's a complete miss and a non-event.
    Is this comparable though? The practical number gets lower when separating faction specific quests. There's also the fact that Jade forest quests lose usefulness as players outlevel the zone, and this concept is entirely abandoned in Legion. Pointless argument, though.
    After going through a good chunk of it though, I'm quite impressed with the delivery. I suggest giving the experience a chance rather than let the number of quests make the decision for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Is this comparable though? The practical number gets lower when separating faction specific quests. There's also the fact that Jade forest quests lose usefulness as players outlevel the zone, and this concept is entirely abandoned in Legion. Pointless argument, though.
    After going through a good chunk of it though, I'm quite impressed with the delivery. I suggest giving the experience a chance rather than let the number of quests make the decision for you.
    Yes, it's comparable, look through the list and read the descriptions. Suramar is just a standard non-Legion zone, it's not big.

Sum total, in Legion, they did fewer zones, and put far fewer quests into each than even in WoD (where they put less than they were putting before). Then they did one zone which is kind of normal with respect to the number of quests. I am not impressed.

Sure, I'll "give it a try" or whatever, it's just that it will be over very quick, even with all the "we won't direct you to the next quest, find it yourself" and with all the smelling of the flowers, it's nothing spectacular. The streams are being as positive as they are because Suramar is bigger and better in terms of quests than other Legion zones, but that's not a particularly high bar, discounting the new art, nearly any zone in the game is bigger in that respect than other Legion zones.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-05-01 at 07:16 AM.

Deleted
    I felt it wasn't bad... Is it wrong though that I suspect the majority of the player base will turn their nose at it because it doesn't reward much in terms of power?

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's comparable, look through the list and read the descriptions. Suramar is just a standard non-Legion zone, it's not big.

Sum total, in Legion, they did fewer zones, and put far fewer quests into each than even in WoD (where they put less than they were putting before). Then they did one zone which is kind of normal with respect to the number of quests. I am not impressed.

Sure, I'll "give it a try" or whatever, it's just that it will be over very quick, even with all the "we won't direct you to the next quest, find it yourself" and with all the smelling of the flowers, it's nothing spectacular. The streams are being as positive as they are because Suramar is bigger and better in terms of quests than other Legion zones, but that's not a particularly high bar, discounting the new art, nearly any zone in the game is bigger in that respect than other Legion zones.
    I'm getting ahead of myself and I don't have all my notes with me, but:
    The difference between the quests in the other zones and suramar lie widely in its pacing. The quest paradigm since wotlk has players traveling from mini questline to mini questline. There's definitely side stuff that's missable (and I probably did miss things) but you'll move and level at a pretty brisk pace. Without reading a thing, I've hit max level in 14 hours with a tank, and I'd consider that the above-average speed of a player who is *trying* to hit max level. Mileage will vary of course.
    Suramar feels pretty different early on. It's paced in a way (withered NPCs don't give quests) and the lack of a super-reward at the end (since you're max level already) sets the tone that this isn't meant to be blazed through anyway. Maybe we'll just disagree on whether or not the footprint of a zone or number of quests makes it good*.

*A lot of stuff is still broken, so I don't have an opinion on if Suramar is fun.