Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is there a point to playing this game at all without spending money?

Even in ranked at level 20 i run into people with an entire deck of legendaries, epics, etc. I just had someone draw 4 legendary dragons in a row. Against what, a boulderfist brute?

Is there any point in playing for free if everyone can just buy their shit and get better cards because money > skill?
    How else can someone have 100k worth of cards and play at the fucking 20 ranks.

if you really want to climb the ranks then no, not really. if you DE everything else you might be able to put together ONE good deck but other than that isn't worth the time.

if you don't want to spend cash i personally recommend arena and tavern brawls.
    Last edited by Kyr; 2016-05-01 at 01:45 PM.

This is a card game, card games tend to give SLIGHT advantages to people who invest more into the game. Unlike physical card games, at least you have the chance to play for free via gold and dust.

People have gotten to legend without ever spending any money. Don't use you lack of spending as a crutch. If you play crap decks without knowing what you are doing, you are going to get crap results.

You have to make a choice if you want to play this game, invest time to earn cards, or invest money to buy cards. If you do neither and expect good results you aren't going to be happy.

Legendaries =/= good.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-05-01 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Even in ranked at level 20 i run into people with an entire deck of legendaries, epics, etc. I just had someone draw 4 legendary dragons in a row. Against what, a boulderfist brute?

Is there any point in playing for free if everyone can just buy their shit and get better cards because money > skill?
    HOnestly, I only play ladder to rank 20 for the cardbacks, then play casual the rest of the time. Find more random decks in there with people trying out new things. Keeps things refreshing.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Everything in this game is obtainable and achievable without spending a penny, but it will obviously take far longer than those that do.

I spend around £35 a year (the new set pre-order) and have pretty much all the cards that will ever see a competitive deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    This is a card game, card games tend to give SLIGHT advantages to people who invest more into the game. Unlike physical card games, at least you have the chance to play for free via gold and dust.

People have gotten to legend without ever spending any money. Don't use you lack of spending as a crutch. If you play crap decks without knowing what you are doing, you are going to get crap results.

Legendaries =/= good.
    SLIGHT advantage my ass. while it is not insurmountable it takes an absurd about of time to be able to catch up to that advantage. and again, if you want to be competitive you would have to decimate your collection to DE just to put together a single deck

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    SLIGHT advantage my ass. while it is not insurmountable it takes an absurd about of time to be able to catch up to that advantage. and again, if you want to be competitive you would have to decimate your collection to DE just to put together a single deck
    Slight as in the sense that you can obtain any of those things without spending money. it's a CCG, I don't know what to tell you. Go try to play MTG without spending any money ... lol

Again if you want to use your lack of spending money as a crutch to explain why you "aren't winning" then that's up to you. But the people that have achieved legend rank with F2P accounts say otherwise.

Deleted
    You get any card you want without paying real money. But thats a grind. So, do the math - grinding hearthstone gold is slow, like, without dailies 100g takes a while, more than an hour, since thats 30 victories when you get 10g per three wins. Lets say that even in an ideal world, you play some fast deck and you get 100g per hour, so thats one pack per hour. Go work some trash job which pays, say, 15 dollars per hour. Thats 10 packs per hour. And if you cant work for money, dont bother complaining. You either started Hearthstone too late and you gotta pay to play to catch up or you've been lazy for years, and again, you gotta pay to make for the difference. But dont complain just because you cant work a minimum wage job - thats your failing, not Blizzard's.

No idea what the obsession with laddering is, I have every card in game and all I do as far as laddering is concerned is daily quests and making rank 5 for the season rewards. Arena is much more fun and far more worthy of your time as a new player.

If you absolutely need to ladder though then just make a C'thun Druid, Zoo lock or Face Hunter, all of them very cheap to craft.

I helped a friend a few nights back who hadn't played for a long time and most of his powerful cards were GvG and Naxx. We used the Classic Mage deck recipe with a few changes, didn't drop a game going from rank 25 to 18.

Buy the League of Explorers and Blackrock Mountain Adventures and this deck will cost you 160 Dust to craft.

http://imgur.com/e6dDZEf
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2016-05-01 at 02:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    No idea what the obsession with laddering is, I have every card in game and all I do as far as laddering is concerned is daily quests and making rank 5 for the season rewards. Arena is much more fun and far more worthy of your time as a new player.

If you absolutely need to ladder though then just make a C'thun Druid, Zoo lock or Face Hunter, all of them very cheap to craft.
    for the chest.
    With money.
    And dust.

I need the gold (700 per fucking wing) to open the solo adventures to get basic meta cards.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't pay money, I just buy packs with gold and craft what I want *shrug*
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

15+ Year Old Account

If someone has a ton of great cards in their deck and are still rank 20, you know why that usually is?

It's because they are really, REALLY fucking bad at the game.

You can't buy strategy or deckbuilding knowledge. I guarantee that if a beginner/rank-20 whale and I swapped accounts, and I used whatever they had while they had access to just about anything they wanted, I would still win.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

for the chest.
    With money.
    And dust.

I need the gold (700 per fucking wing) to open the solo adventures to get basic meta cards.
    That isn't that much, do your daily quests and do the tavern brawl.

It only looks daunting because you are playing catch up, if you earned that gold as the adventures were coming out, you could earn 700 gold before the next wing game out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    That isn't that much, do your daily quests and do the tavern brawl.

It only looks daunting because you are playing catch up, if you earned that gold as the adventures were coming out, you could earn 700 gold before the next wing game out.
    true. I got about 3-400 now from scratch, 2 days of casual playing but still.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I had a very hard time winning at all until I spent money on the game. I bought Naxx and that really helped a lot. Then I bought the 50-pack OG promotional and now I actually win on occasion. So, I know how you feel. It sucks trying to unlock basic cards (let alone farm gold for packs) when you're running against people that rares and legendaries all over the place. >.<
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

15+ Year Old Account
    true. I got about 3-400 now from scratch, 2 days of casual playing but still.
    There is no "but still". We earned the gold for Adventures same as you're doing. Veterans had to put in the same time to earn this gold as you do.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I have an 'entire deck full of legendaries' and I've never bought a pack with real money.

As others have said, your problems is people who've been playing for free for a LOT longer than you, and thus have a lot more cards to make viable decks from. People who've been playing longer have an advantage. Shocking.

First of all, if you play the game regularly you'll have enough cards easy. I spent £100 or so when the game first came out, and ever since that I've always been able to get the newest expansions through saved up gold and dust. And I've a huge overkill in dust right now.

If you however never played before, then yeah, you'll either need to throw some RL money on it or play cheap aggro decks untill you've won enough to build something decent.

Well yeah, that's what happens when you decide to play ladder on the same day the ladder resets. Even legendary professional players are gonna be around rank 15.

There are several cheap decks that are equally good, or better, than the legendary filled ones. Most rush decks are really cheap. You could easily throw together a zoolock, face hunter, egg druid or something similar and hit at least rank10 without any problems with only commons and rares, and maybe a few epics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adams View Post
    Everything in this game is obtainable and achievable without spending a penny, but it will obviously take far longer than those that do.
    Except the pre-order card backs. And, I guess, Naxxramas card back unless you've bought the adventure by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    If someone has a ton of great cards in their deck and are still rank 20, you know why that usually is?

It's because they are really, REALLY fucking bad at the game.

You can't buy strategy or deckbuilding knowledge. I guarantee that if a beginner/rank-20 whale and I swapped accounts, and I used whatever they had while they had access to just about anything they wanted, I would still win.
    Or, you know, it's the day that the ladder resets. Might have something to do with it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Constructed is really the only way to actually progress in F2P mode, if you follow meta deck guides, you should be able to build something that will get you far enough to earn the good rewards, assuming you play smart.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

This is the primary reason I stopped playing. Either you need to spend a good amount of cash to maintain viability, or you need to play constantly to keep earning repeat cards to DE. And you have to get ahead on DE as well so that you can recover from the new decks that get put out. I can't even imagine starting from scratch right now without spending money.

That said, as long as your expectations are to remain no better than rank 20 or so, it plays just fine.

If you want to play games that actually involve skill in lieu of money, you probably need to look towards MOBAs or some of the FPS games.