The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubSlayer View Post
    Indeed, im preeeeetty sure they will make legacy servers, and im pretty sure it's the best step in the right direction for the game at this point.
    I get from a short-term money perspective it makes sense, assuming 2004-era server blades are still available.

But it still makes my mind go into knots when I hear that the future of this game is to just stop making new stuff and in fact remove existing stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by megasus View Post
    Wow... they're not even releasing the source code? The emulation software is licensed under GNU GPL, they literally have to make it public. But who are we talking about, they're software pirates. They don't care about copyright law.
    Never trust a pirate.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Oh well, i am looking forward to the next chapter.

What will it be?

"Oh and we also sell nostalrius t-shirts and a pirated version of Pepe now!"

?
    So all you can focus on is at this point is flaming the server for being illegal? Yeah sure, legality is everything to consider always right?

Wow... they're not even releasing the source code? The emulation software is licensed under GNU GPL, they literally have to make it public. But who are we talking about, they're software pirates. They don't care about copyright law.
    Somebody already posted how the laws work in Europe a few pages back. It sounds like it is actually perfectly legal there to alter software you have purchased.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I get from a short-term money perspective it makes sense, assuming 2004-era server blades are still available.

But it still makes my mind go into knots when I hear that the future of this game is to just stop making new stuff and in fact remove existing stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Never trust a pirate.
    I completely agree with you, but short term it would bring back veterans. Long term is might help Blizzard realize what the majority of their playerbase acturally wants from an MMO so to me it's good both ways.

They're not software pirates they're Ambassadors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Can't they be both? I don't see anybody trying to state that what the Nostalrius devs (or any private server for that matter) is legal in any way. What people are discussing is the ethics.
    Last edited by mmocb13fbb0658; 2016-05-01 at 05:21 PM.

Well, The Ambassadors of Vanilla™ gave you some replay feature to be nostalgic about nostalgia hahahaha

Deleted
    Everyone in this thread is an ambassador.

I am the special ambassador of gnome only legacy realms.

everyone in this thread is an ambassador.

you weren't knighted by blizzard like they were!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, though. All this Ambassador talk and not releasing the source code probably means the Nost devs are jockeying for a job at Blizz. Maybe thinking they can set up Legacy Servers FOR Blizz, maybe thinking they can "Make 8.0 great again!"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    you weren't knighted by blizzard like they were!
    but.. i can also setup a legacy realm if i want! To be invited to blizzards HQ to have tea and cookies with Mr. Morhaime!

Deleted
    Everyone in this thread is an ambassador.

So you get beaten on facts and try to move the goal post? Classy

but.. i can also setup a legacy realm if i want! To be invited to blizzards HQ to have tea and cookies with Mr. Morhaime!
    Hardly believe you can do any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubSlayer View Post
    I completely agree with you, but short term it would bring back veterans. Long term is might help Blizzard realize what the majority of their playerbase acturally wants from an MMO so to me it's good both ways.
    Except that you have no clue what a "majority" of Blizzard's player base wants. You know what *you* want and that's about it.

There is *NO* proof *ANYWHERE* that a majority of MMO players want tedious stuff like Classic & TBC. (Look at Wildstar the "return to a classic MMO" and how well that did... LOL)
    Keep moving forward. - Walt Disney

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    Hardly believe you can do any of that.
    You underestimate my abilities. I am actually a very skilled programmer. I developed applications in C, C++, 80x86 asm.. If i really would like, i surely could create my own server. I developed exploits for a security company, created games entirely written in 80x86 asm.. made netcode for heavily loaded chatsystems.

The thing is.. i dont want to. I have absolutely no interest to write an illegal emulator.

Deleted
    Go ahead and do that, and maybe if you start a petition on your blog Blizzard will be forced to respond. I highly doubt that you will find enough people that agree with your viewpoints tho :>

10+ Year Old Account
    *Decided to remove for being non-contructive*
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2016-05-01 at 06:33 PM.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    Except that you have no clue what a "majority" of Blizzard's player base wants. You know what *you* want and that's about it.

There is *NO* proof *ANYWHERE* that a majority of MMO players want tedious stuff like Classic & TBC. (Look at Wildstar the "return to a classic MMO" and how well that did... LOL)
    Already posted polls on MMO-C itself that shows at least the players that come here want a classic server, or something similar to before what it currently available. Considering the definition of statistics and MMO-C being one of the LEAST biased sites since everyone who still players and doesn't play can join in the polls. Is it an accurate representation? Maybe not, but at least there is something, compared to your what exactly? Opinion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Honestly, though. All this Ambassador talk and not releasing the source code probably means the Nost devs are jockeying for a job at Blizz. Maybe thinking they can set up Legacy Servers FOR Blizz, maybe thinking they can "Make 8.0 great again!"
    Something like that.
    long story short is that nostalrius probably soldout to blizzard.
    Look at it this way: If blizzard says "nope, we wont make legacy servers period" then its bad PR for them.
    If a third party that supposedly is the ambassador of ppls that want legacy servers and is working with blizzard says "legacy servers might happen" and in the end legacy servers wont happen, well then its not bad PR for blizzard, because they didnt promise jackshit, a third party that is not related to blizzard did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Shh, don't point it to him. Then he'll argue it's easy and try to show you how knowledgeable he is

Honestly though, why are we still speaking to that person?

1. Brings nothing to the conversation.

2. Knows nothing about the topic at hand.

3. Carry so much salt I had to drink a whole bottle of water just to stay hydrated from the tears of laughter when I read his answers.
    I find it fun to be honest to argue with people who try to imply how logical they are by responding with /popcorn comments and stuff.