Then buy it already!

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh, if I bought a new case I'd have to buy other stuff as well. Can't warrant putting old hardware in a new case. That on top of my ongoing car upgrade.. Really not that keen on financing anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Computers > Cars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Computers > Cars
    < Electrical engineering student agrees!
    But fast electric cars are cool too

15+ Year Old Account
    Well now you're just being silly!

Can't mount a computer and ride it down the street. Electrics are kind of neat but not as cool as burning petrol for powah.

But if you have computer, why go outside?
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    To pick up some new computer hardware?

Cars.. Where would we be without them. And how would we get there?

Like we, as a species, always have? And I mean, there's always public transport.
    Where we would be without them? As a species, probably the same. The world might look a bit different, but not too much.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    But driving is fun, I wonder how awesome piloting a fighter jet should be if driving cars is already fun when you can go fast.
    And @Ghâzh, those recent electric cars have insane acceleration that petrol burning cars can't achieve.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    And @Ghâzh, those recent electric cars have insane acceleration that petrol burning cars can't achieve.
    Well we're not quite there yet, maybe horsepower per dollar wise? The biggest thing for me with electric cars is that, talking in computer terms, you're basically buying a prebuild with no upgrade possibility. There's no fiddling or tinkering with your electric (engine wise).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Well we're not quite there yet, maybe horsepower per dollar wise? The biggest thing for me with electric cars is that, talking in computer terms, you're basically buying a prebuild with no upgrade possibility. There's no fiddling or tinkering with your electric (engine wise).
    I don't even think they make much sense if you take into consideration that Tesla, a US based company which is trying to make electric cars mainstream, does it in a country that makes most of its energy from dirty sources:

Coal = 33%
    Natural gas = 33%
    Nuclear = 20%

If you're going to use fossil fuels what's the point? It's equally as bad for the environment if not worse due to the laws of thermodynamics. You always lose energy when you transform it from a type to another, efficiency is never 100%. It would make sense at countries generating electricity by renewable means like hydro, solar, wind, biomass or geothermal.

But the fact that electric cars, running on electricity, can be more powerful in some aspects compared to classic petrol burning supercars is quite mesmerizing. I think most of those sport cars companies are using hybrid models now, electric motors for instantaneous acceleration and a normal one to go into insane speeds.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-05-01 at 02:49 PM.

I think it's worth noting that Norway is one of the bigger purchasers of Tesla vehicles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I think it's worth noting that Norway is one of the bigger purchasers of Tesla vehicles.
    Mostly hydroelectric country right? In this case it makes absolute sense.

I would actually like a Tesla or similar product. I wouldn't drive it, I would just like to own it for what it represents in its technological marvel.

How long are the charging times per hour driven these days anyway? Last I knew, this was the real deterrent.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I would actually like a Tesla or similar product. I wouldn't drive it, I would just like to own it for what it represents in its technological marvel.

How long are the charging times per hour driven these days anyway? Last I knew, this was the real deterrent.

The model X has slightly lower range and the model 3 has it even lower, but still rated as ~260 miles and ~210 miles (which also vary with speed but I guess they give a number based on most frequent speeds the car stays at or something like this)

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to use fossil fuels what's the point? It's equally as bad for the environment if not worse due to the laws of thermodynamics. You always lose energy when you transform it from a type to another, efficiency is never 100%. It would make sense at countries generating electricity by renewable means like hydro, solar, wind, biomass or geothermal.
    It's cheaper to burn coal, gas and nuclear than it is to burn oil. (ps. nuclear isn't fossil fuel)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I have similar mindset although I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, the technology is extremely cool and innovative. On the other hand however, I feel this deep sadness when I realize that it is actually the future and not in a too distant future the petrol engine will be, if not completely gone, at least severely diminished in popularity.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2016-05-01 at 07:16 PM.

I don't even think they make much sense if you take into consideration that Tesla, a US based company which is trying to make electric cars mainstream, does it in a country that makes most of its energy from dirty sources:

Coal = 33%
    Natural gas = 33%
    Nuclear = 20%

But the fact that electric cars, running on electricity, can be more powerful in some aspects compared to classic petrol burning supercars is quite mesmerizing. I think most of those sport cars companies are using hybrid models now, electric motors for instantaneous acceleration and a normal one to go into insane speeds.
    I understand what you're trying to say - I heard something similar with respect to hybrid cars years ago. Essentially, "making/disposing of the the hybrid cars and their batteries make up for any environmental benefit they have in decreased fuel consumption."

So sure, right now charging a pure electric car will still be environmentally unfriendly - but when the country starts migrating to green(er) sources of power, electric cars will immediately benefit. So instead of having to try and fix out power grid and all cars, we'll be able to focus on just our power grid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I guess, I still find the cars themselves incredibly fascinating.

Like Tetris said, it's a step into the future.

Yeah I guess, I still find the cars themselves incredibly fascinating.
    I don't really see the attraction. I find computers (hardware and software) far more interesting. Of course, I'm a programmer, so that's probably unsurprising.

Like Tetris said, it's a step into the future.
    Agreed. After we get the power source figured out, maybe we'll finally be able to sort out the whole flying car thing in seemingly every sci-fi movie ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    I don't really see the attraction. I find computers (hardware and software) far more interesting. Of course, I'm a programmer, so that's probably unsurprising.
    Tesla cars also have computers inside of them and they're all incredibly tied to programming. The whole self-driving thing is mainly software.