Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Since Obama has been in office kenya has gotten ton of foreign aid, when that dries up after Obama is gone kenya will probably not get anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...aid_recipients

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    it's not about the money. it's about sending a message.
    No its about the money, they are getting billions of dollars a year from the Obama administration. They will do what they are told until the money dries up (Obama out of office) then its back to business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I find this shit useless. Why burn it? The creature already fucking died for it. Put it in a Museum or something, use the funds to pay for conservation.

Burning it just creates more demand for Ivory since you are taking it OUT of circulation, making it rarer and less accessible to the retards that want to use it, meaning they will continue to try and farm it.

goddamn.
    Kenya has banned ivory so why would they suddenly sell it after all this time? Storing it like they have been decreases poaching because you can just raid one of the many vaults for it? The entire point is to remove it from the market altogether. No ivory and then no demand for it.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2016-05-02 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Yeah. Honestly I find this waste of useful material just as pointless as the poachers wasting the entire body of the elephant when they kill it just for the ivory. At the very least skin it and make use of its meat. You can call it a symbolic gesture all you want, the only thing this represents is a real world need for elephant head cloning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Kenya has banned ivory so why would they suddenly sell it after all this time? Storing it like they have been decreases poaching because you can just raid one of the many vaults for it? The entire point is to remove it from the market altogether. No ivory and then no demand for it.
    The only way you're going to stop the ivory trade is if you kill all the elephants yourself. That way nobody else gets to play with them.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2016-05-02 at 08:32 AM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

You have to take into account how corrupt Kenyan authorities are.

If they didn't burn the ivory, it would sooner or later end up in the hands of the Chinese buyers, regardless of how "confiscated" or "prohibited" the ivory was.

Burning it is the ONLY way to ensure that the Asian buyers don't get shit for their investment.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Yeah. Honestly I find this waste of useful material just as pointless as the poachers wasting the entire body of the elephant when they kill it just for the ivory. At the very least skin it and make use of its meat. You can call it a symbolic gesture all you want, the only thing this represents is a real world need for elephant head cloning.

- - - Updated - - -

The only way you're going to stop the ivory trade is if you kill all the elephants yourself. That way nobody else gets to play with them.
    You realize that would be an absolute nightmare? Elephants grow really slowly with a gestation period of two years and a maturity rate of 15 years.

Not to mention that elephants are one of the most intelligent and emotionally evolved species on Earth.

Unfortunately, there will always be ivory until the elephants are extinct.

Deleted
    It does nothing of the sort. People will still want the tusks, there will always be demand. Removing such large quantities increases said demand.
    Yep, guess they dont know how basic economy works. This just makes ivory even more valuable and motivates poachers even more. To combat poaching, they should instead just learn to 3d print those things and flood the market. No one would risk it if ivory became cheaper than dirt.

Deleted
    I find this shit useless. Why burn it? The creature already fucking died for it. Put it in a Museum or something, use the funds to pay for conservation.

Burning it just creates more demand for Ivory since you are taking it OUT of circulation, making it rarer and less accessible to the retards that want to use it, meaning they will continue to try and farm it.

goddamn.
    If they stashed them away, there'd be two possibilities:

- possibility one: shit gets stolen back; it's millions of $ worth of bone and it's Kenya ffs, all it takes is one corrupt guard, soldier or official and the whole pile goes poof overnight

- possibility two: shit gets protected successfully indefinitely, congratulations, now it's just as removed from the market, with the added cost of posting, in all likelihood, a good-sized garrison of soldiers AND the means to control those soldiers, so *they* don't steal it bit by bit

I just thought of something, since when do bones just burn and turn to ash?. Doesn't it take like a furnace to burn bones?.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Unfortunately, there will always be ivory until the elephants are extinct.
    Or tusked elephants are extinct.

There's actually a few African elephants without tusks and even more Asian elephants.

Would be beautiful if they added some poacher to that fire, burn bitches burn. I hope that they still kill poachers on the spot to protect the animals.

That seems like a waste and only decreases the supply while doing nothing for the demand. Ivory prices will go up giving poachers even more incentive to do their thing.

It ultimately does nothing, poachers will still kill elephants since there still exists morons who believe in bullshit medicine, of course by burning the siezed ones the poachers doesn't profit from it so I guess thats a plus.

Then the asian goverment's should go out and say that their hocus pocus medicine is useless and will will do jack shit and all this time they have been killing this animals for nothing then a big joke medicine. Maby that could change a few people from buying it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    So wait. It wasn't bad enough that these animals were poached to begin with, now you want to destroy the only good thing that came from them?
    The message they are trying to send out is nice, but it just seems wasteful. And i don't even like/own ivory.
    The only good thing that came from them? The point is to cut the wish for this "good" thing. If the government sells it instead of the poachers, what's the point? There will be a demand still, maybe even a bigger one. And poachers will appear even more and try to sell it cheaper than the government.

This policy shows that there is 0 acceptance to ivory poachers. If the elephants can't have it, neither will you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The only good thing that came from them? The point is to cut the wish for this "good" thing. If the government sells it instead of the poachers, what's the point? There will be a demand still, maybe even a bigger one. And poachers will appear even more and try to sell it cheaper than the government.

This policy shows that there is 0 acceptance to ivory poachers. If the elephants can't have it, neither will you.
    Decreasing the supply without decreasing demand means that poachers will be able to make a lot more money from it which just encourages them.

It's the demand that is the problem that needs to be addressed.

I actually own a gorgeous chess set carved in pure bone ivory. not coated, literally carved. its a one of a kind, handmade thing, from china, hundreds of years old. in mint condition..

I always wondered what it was worth, but I'm terrified to take it anywhere to have it valued incase they try and take it! It's very old, and its not like I killed the elephant~! :P my mother reckoned it to be around £20k back in the 70s. and since then the ivory trade has all but died out. so I'd wager double that by now? either way, I disagree with the Ivory trade, and understand the message being sent. that being said, leave my shiny chess set alone!
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where did I say Kenya should sell it? I said put it in a Museum. Use the funds from the Museum exhibit for conservation. How is that a hard concept.

goddamn.
    QFT.

People don't understand that burning it is useless. As long as there are people that want it, elephants will be hunted. Money talks louder.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..