View Poll Results: Do you use DBM, bigwigs or nothing?

Voters
180. This poll is closed
  • Bigwigs

107 59.44%
  • DBM

67 37.22%
  • neither

6 3.33%

Thread: bigwigs vs dbm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Littlewigs is effectively a dungeon version of the bigwigs boss mod.
    Taking the raid timers functionality and applying them to dungeon encounters.
    Thx

is it a seperate addon or incorporated into Bigwigs?

Deleted
    Its made by the authors of big wigs and uses the anchors of it too as far as i know.
    Haven't installed it for ages because i don't do challenge mode.

I´ve been using DBM for WotLK.

Since the beginning of Cataclysm, DBM was lacking and behind BW. BW was more up to date in the first few weeks
    of Cataclysm, thats why im using BW ever since.

Dont know if they are on par now tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    It's probably best if we had a concentration on devs on one or two addons. None is perfect but all have inaccuracies. It's not even minor since I've seen major inaccuracies in all big addons months after a boss' release on live.

The ideal is probably having developers doing aesthetics for this kind of thing (HUDs, Bars, Warnings, Audio, etc.) to be completely separate from the devs that do logic of bosses.

That way we would have near perfection on logic, and if someone wanted different aesthetics they'd pick and choose. Right now we have the aesthetics guys doing logic too.
    The problem there is getting agreement over the right way to do it.
    Not just an accuracy issue, but the approach.
    Look at damage meters for an example of that issue.

I agree it would be nice, if unrealistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I started using BW because I had a lot of issues where DMB was conflicting with basic stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used bigwigs back in TBC and DXE during WotLK. DXE is personal favorite of mine and I'm glad it's being updated once again. I was using DBM but not for long since I just found out dxe is back!

Deleted
    +1 DBM for me....never had issues

Deleted
    BW. started using it bakc then when there was no voice in dbm. nowadays i still use it because once every week some1 cries about wrong timers in dbm. also theres too much visual spam in dbm.

Been a DBM guy as long as i can remember never tried anything else but maybe its time i branch out

It seems that some tanks like some of the things Big Wigs does. Generally speaking though, it's been my experience that the guy failing in raid is using something other than DBM.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2016-04-26 at 03:05 PM.

I use DBM, as for the complaints about visual clutter in DBM. Yes if you leave it default and do not move the timers around they are in poor positions and will have full screen. In a previous guild me and 2 other raiders would go through DBM and make templates for ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Tanks, healers and people with jobs for which abilities needed to be turned on and what you did not need in certain jobs. It gets rid of lots additional spam and clutter. But now the DXE is back as a former DV member I may have to look at going back to it.

BigWigs all the way. I'm usually fine not using any boss mods and just looking at announcements from RLs. I find DBM to be very obnoxious, there is just too much crap on the screen. It feels like the information is not presented nicely. BigWigs is nice, calm and smooth.

Deleted
    Prefer bigwigs because its less intrusive. DBM has lots of noises, screen blinking and now in wod there are arrows and stuff covering up the screen for some encounters. With bigwigs there is timers, some countdowns and the occasional pling - thats all i want

- - - Updated - - -

dumb question alert: what ever happened to VEM?

Quote Originally Posted by orishiet View Post
    Prefer bigwigs because its less intrusive. DBM has lots of noises, screen blinking and now in wod there are arrows and stuff covering up the screen for some encounters. With bigwigs there is timers, some countdowns and the occasional pling - thats all i want

- - - Updated - - -

dumb question alert: what ever happened to VEM?
    VEM was effectively DBM with the voice, and so had to be updated every time DBM was, and by another author.
    Eventually that was rolled into DBM by default, with the voice packs being external plugins now.
    Such as DBM Voicepack VEM @ Curse.

Means the voicepack doesn't need updated every time DBM is, just to "keep up" with the right version numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I personally just like DBM. Not a real valid reason for it, I just prefer it for some reason haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It seems that some tanks like some of the things Big Wigs does. Generally speaking though, it's been my experience that the guy failing in raid is using something other than DBM.
    All the people i see fail on encounters use DBM, funny enough because ability timers are misaligned with the boss or it dosnt even show up at all. Especially early on in progression, DBM is miles behind BW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It seems that some tanks like some of the things Big Wigs does.
    Ah i almost forgot that.
    Imho DBM does a little to much for tanks.
    While Big Wigs only announces stacks for relevant abilities DBM gives you those "taunt x now" warnings out of the box.

Taunting is one of the important jobs of a tank (at least sometimes) and you should know when to do it without an addon.

At Flamebender Kagraz for example DBM told you to taunt the dogs at two stacks of their breath. But shortly after the second breath the two dogs switchedand you needed to taunt the dog that was kited by ranges beforehand.
    If you listened to DBM in that case tank-a still got cd on taunt and tank-b still got two stacks from the previous breaths.

This could lead to awkward situations in pick up groups when you told the other tank that you want to switch at three stacks beforehand but they relied on their DBM.
    Last edited by mmoc2e5b8dbff7; 2016-05-02 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    All the people i see fail on encounters use DBM, funny enough because ability timers are misaligned with the boss or it dosnt even show up at all. Especially early on in progression, DBM is miles behind BW
    This generally happens when people are using a dated version. I've never had issues with timers while running the alpha versions on new bosses.

switched to bw at some point. You could very easely alter per boss what you want to see. countdown. Never looked back.