Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Ok, so... garrisons and gold.

Hi!

As the end of the expansion draws near and the MMO-C community totally makes you think that everyone is sitting on a gold cap, just not you--

How do you even do this? I'm in the process of leveling my alts for Legion to make all of the Order Hall campaigns and I am slowly setting up Garrisons on some of them. What should I aim for? Wowhead Garrison Gold guide is primarily aiming towards playing Auction House and using Profession buildings, but with my realm economy (Burning Legion EU) I find it hard to believe I could competitively earn huge thousands from it. There's also a chance that I completely do not understand how money in WoW works. A fucking big chance, to be honest.

Any tips? The only stuff I make money on seems to be the occasional gold missions and JC dailies - I have all 20 followers on max ilvl, 3 Treasure Hunters, so I run Blingtron's Vault everytime I can for 4k. How can you make 999k out of 4k mission which spawns once a month? Not to mention how long it takes to make a garrison of this value + shipyard.

I hardly ever pass the bar of 20k gold on one character, I haven't even been able to buy a Yak, let alone have those money just sitting in my bag.

I can relate so much to this comic - http://www.darklegacycomics.com/535 - it's kind of reassuring that I'm apparently not in a minority.

Huge thumbs up for any attempt to completely blow my mind, I really need it since I am a collector of sorts and I have like 99 prob-- ways to spend those money right away (mounts/pets/what have you). Thank you!

I'm afraid you might be a bit late to the party.

You need many more Treasure hunters, to the point where every single gold mission you send out is capped. After that it is pretty much all about quantity and time - I have 8 characters with fully maxed out garrisons and 5 more with somewhat lacking ones, and that earns me for the token + 100-150k extra each month, depending on luck with the missions (Blingtron missions, Champions Honor tokens etc.)

The shipyard also generates a ton of gold if you have a couple of ships with the 100% gold crew.

But as mentioned above, the key part of this is time, it took a long time to set all of this up, almost to the point where you wont get it properly started before the prepatch hits and presumably nerfs all of this into oblivion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ooookay, so everyone needs to be a Treasure Hunter then - which means that an Inn per each Garrison is pretty much mandatory?

What the above guy said,

Garrisons are still good for gold, but not as good as they were,

Slowly make most of your followers treasure hunters, just do gold missions then missions for raid items even the illvl 620 stuff, convert to item, vendor it.

Rinse repeat, do dailies on atleast one character for oil to do shipyards, if you get exalted with your factions hub in the jungle, you can make an oil rig, then start dailies on next character to do the same - oil rigs gives daily oil automatically, like you get resources, do the gold missions in ship yards with bonus.

I find it hard to believe you havent passed 20k if you have fulll ilvl people and hunters.

Personally, I have
    one ship yard,
    4 level 3 garrisons,
    Two of them have 4 675 followers

Each one is treasure hunter based, and I used to log in every morning and every night to hand in garrison missions, I hit 180k in my pocket, probably 30-50k wasted on buying stuff like alt gear, professions etc

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    what he said.

having every class on max level with the right garrison setup (inn, followers with the treasure hunter trait, shipyard with dwarf crews), i make about 10k gold a day minimu, id say. just logging in, spending a minute or two per character.
    its still a bit of time till legion, but you missed the best part of WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Hi!

As the end of the expansion draws near and the MMO-C community totally makes you think that everyone is sitting on a gold cap, just not you--

How do you even do this? I'm in the process of leveling my alts for Legion to make all of the Order Hall campaigns and I am slowly setting up Garrisons on some of them. What should I aim for? Wowhead Garrison Gold guide is primarily aiming towards playing Auction House and using Profession buildings, but with my realm economy (Burning Legion EU) I find it hard to believe I could competitively earn huge thousands from it. There's also a chance that I completely do not understand how money in WoW works. A fucking big chance, to be honest.

Any tips? The only stuff I make money on seems to be the occasional gold missions and JC dailies - I have all 20 followers on max ilvl, 3 Treasure Hunters, so I run Blingtron's Vault everytime I can for 4k. How can you make 999k out of 4k mission which spawns once a month? Not to mention how long it takes to make a garrison of this value + shipyard.

I hardly ever pass the bar of 20k gold on one character, I haven't even been able to buy a Yak, let alone have those money just sitting in my bag.

I can relate so much to this comic - http://www.darklegacycomics.com/535 - it's kind of reassuring that I'm apparently not in a minority.

Huge thumbs up for any attempt to completely blow my mind, I really need it since I am a collector of sorts and I have like 99 prob-- ways to spend those money right away (mounts/pets/what have you). Thank you!
    A lot of people severely over exaggerate how rapidly you can earn money through the Garrisons alone. Doesn't help that it got nerfed too.

I can earn about 10k or more a week off of one garrison. So multiply that by every character but only if you get treasure hunter trait and have everything essentially setup similarly on each said character. Let's say you have four. Well then, that's going to be around 40k a week... times another four for a month, you're looking at 160,000 gold.

Also depends on your success prior to garrisons. Like I have tons and tons of stuff to buy because I was never good at using the AH nor really farming up gold. Just wasn't my thing. In fact, FFXIV is arguably much more difficult to farm gil through and I was sitting on millions - I think it's a matter of me finding the entire process often boring as sin on WoW. Likely due to my disfavor towards professions in their current state.

What does that mean?

Simple, I'm expending gold just about as quickly as I earn it to buy mounts, pets, etc that I never got in the first place. By the time Legion rolls around I won't have anything anyway! So go me for not staying on for the worst expansion by far in WoW's history save for within the last couple of months. Almost feels like people got bribed into staying with the gold production garrisons gave them. >:
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-05-02 at 02:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    But as mentioned above, the key part of this is time, it took a long time to set all of this up, almost to the point where you wont get it properly started before the prepatch hits and presumably nerfs all of this into oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galatan View Post
    its still a bit of time till legion, but you missed the best part of WoD.
    Well, damn...

Deleted
    Hi!

Well, there is a Profession & Garrisons section in this forum, have you looked up the relevant threads in there?

Some short hints, anyway:
    - Upgrade your Barracks to level 3 so you can have 25 followers.
    - Increase the amount of followers with Treasure Hunter and also with Scavanger traits via re-rolling or recruiting.
    - Install a Salvage Yard and upgrade it to level 3, selling junk from crates adds a bit to your daily income. You can also get some transmog gear which can possibly sell for a good price. Spam missions, even if they don't have gold or sellable rewards, because of crates.
    - Use a Trading Post to get the most out of your resources and mats
    - Get a Level 3 Tavern/Inn, so you get more lucrative missions
    - Get a Level 2 Jewelcrafting Hut + Follower for the daily quest
    - You can dabble in the Shipyard as well, but my Alliance toons don't have any and still generate a decent passive income
    - Also get your characters to an item level of at least 675 - this unlocks some rare missions, one of this has a reputation Medaillon as a reward, which still sells quite well at the AH

I don't play the AH besides selling occasional Savage Blood with my Alliance toons (about 65G per Blood currently on my server), and selling Medaillons when I get some (because I have all reputation rewards I wanted on both factions). I could probably generate more gold if I would use all my professions and sell things, but I leveled them mostly for my self-sufficiency.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-05-02 at 02:34 PM.

In the time until Legion may not be enough to fully take advantage of this. You need Treasure Hunter followers. You can only recruit 1 per week. You need about 10 of them. 10 weeks get you to the middle of July. You also need time to level them to 100 and make them purple. You get maybe 6 weeks of the setup before Legion drops.

May not be worth the effort.
    Last edited by spleen1015; 2016-05-02 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typos

Ooookay, so everyone needs to be a Treasure Hunter then - which means that an Inn per each Garrison is pretty much mandatory?
    Yep, and you don't have enough time since I think it takes like 25 weeks total or something to get them all from scratch. Either way, you can start but you won't get it to max gold-making capabilities before the next Expansion launches (in which they will become useless).

Deleted
    I wouldn't bother with it if I was you, it will take you so much effort and by the time you might make good money (1k/char/day by missions/mission rewards) the prepatch will probably be out.
    And btw, 3 TH seems a bit low. I have 15+ on all my alts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    In the time until Legion may not be enough to fully take advantage of this. You need Treasure Hunter followers. You can only recruit 1 per week. You need about 10 of them. 10 weeks get you to the middle of July. You also need time to level them to 100 and make them purple. You get maybe 6 weeks of the setup before Legion drops.

May not be worth the effort.
    Okay, thanks! So I probably won't try - I have 3 Treasure Hunters on max 675. I'll try to squeeze as much as I can from that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hadur View Post
    I wouldn't bother with it if I was you, it will take you so much effort and by the time you might make good money (1k/char/day by missions/mission rewards) the prepatch will probably be out.
    And btw, 3 TH seems a bit low. I have 15+ on all my alts.
    For some reason I figured I don't need more than that...

EDIT: Hm, I actually have seven - I'll just activate them and level up.

You pretty much need an Inn. Extra gold missions too. You also want a Bunker/War Mill to get your followers geared up (takes forever with just the salvage yard), but you can replace that when it's done.

Shipyards are also decent though they have fewer missions and personally I don't bother running more than two. Too much work! Also unless you progress rep enough to unlock oil missions you'll quickly fall behind on oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, thanks! So I probably won't try - I have 3 Treasure Hunters on max 675. I'll try to squeeze as much as I can from that.
    To be honest, you don't NEED full treasure hunters, if you have 5 or so with the right counters. Just makes it more convenient the more you have.

But yeah get what you can.

You might still be able to make some gold in Legion selling mats bought with GR. Probably not a lot in it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Yes, an Inn per Garrison is mandatory. Also a Salvage yard and a trading post. You only recruit treasure hunters and scavengers. You always send out people to all high level missions and if you have non left to low level missions. When you open the stuff from the salvage yard you often get stuff like herbs, ore, fur etc besides the items in there and in rare cases some epic item that you can put in the AH.
    Just put every thing profession related in the AH 1 or 2 times per week, trade your ressources for more stuff for the AH (either dust of fish, if you want to maximize income build enchanting hut + tailor hut for all toons and create crystals and bags and put them in the AH again.

If you want to be really hardcore set up a shipyard with full dwarven crews (doing the shipyard quest itself takes around ~1 hour but you have to build and dismantle a lot of ships to get to the right points, so it is very possible that you might lose interest. Also you need the oil rig for every one of them, so you either need to really play Tanaan a lot or buy medaillion of the legion and hope that the shipyards will generate enough income to refinance your investment. At the current point in time I would not bother anymore with shipyards however if I had to buy the medaillions. If you have a twink that you play in Tanaan either way just go ahead.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, may be a little late. However, it's still possible to make Gold. Recruit Harrison Jones (6 x Random Daily Quest) and always TH + Full Exp for levelling Followers.

Recommended Buildings:
    Large: Barracks (Extra Followers), Dwarven Bunker (GR to Upgrade Tokens)
    Medium: Inn (Recruit TH Followers), Trading Post (Trade GR for Trade Mats and sell)
    Small: Jewelcrafting Hut (Daily JC Quest is around 240g), Inscription Hut (Pigments make Greys that Vendor for 75/225g), Salvage Yard

I would also go around the world and recruit as many followers as possible. See WoWHead to find them all. Best way to get some RNG TH Followers. If you recruit Harrisons Jones, get him to 675 ASAP. Any followers go to his level (100 + Potential 675) when on a mission with him.

It costs a bit to set up, but with my number of Characters and daily Missions, I'm earning enough to play the game with the Tokens very easily. I generally avoid the Shipyard as its a little more Time Consuming and for me annoying.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for all the input! Going to swap Barn for Tavern and Storehouse for Inscription Hut. Also, I'll level and gear up all of my THs.

Thank you! I'm saving Salvage Yard boxes for Legion though for transmo purposes.

Lvl3 shipyard averaged 500g/day per L100 character, it's definitely worth doing for the extra 60s/character/day it takes. The shipyard does not have diminishing returns on alts. Note that figure is without bothering to get dwarven/goblin crews.

Before I quit, I averaged 1.5k/day/L100 from missions+shipyards, running 11 characters. That's half a million gold per month. I was well over 5m gold in the end.

Note I couldn't be bothered with the salvage yard; the prospect of opening hundreds of crates on 11 characters made my eyes tear up even though I macroed the opening and got an addon to vendor the trash. I also didn't do the jewelcrafting daily, the mine, or the garden. That 1.5k/day was from missions+shipyards alone, refreshing missions 2-3x/day, taking 15 minutes each time.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2016-05-02 at 03:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that makes me cheer up is that with all of you having so much money - it should be relatively easy to get rich myself by selling stuff early in the Legion

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    I dunno when you started playing WOD, but there has been a fuckton of guides/threads in this subforum for months with all the info you needed and was repeated again here. Yep, you missed the party...