Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    At the end of Legion we will probably have siphoned the power of our artifacts, hence ther destruction in the end. It'd make sense if certain abilities were then transfered to next expansion as we'd have "learned" them.
    Mind filling me in on when/where this was stated? I don't recall anything like that being mentioned.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It makes sense that Path of the Titans is where they started with this. How much they've changed it to fit the situation remains to be seen.

As far as I've heard, Artifact weapons will not be used in the next expansion.
    Pretty sure they havent made their minds about it yet. Personally? I would like it to stay , if it works out well enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Accounting for that power creep assumes a couple of things:

1) It assumes we will gain a significant amount of our artifact's power while leveling. They're talking about "a few months" to max out the artifact, and most people level in a few days, maybe a week. That means we're likely getting a very small part of our artifact's power while leveling, and probably none of the elite abilities. That means they only have to account for the baseline ability and a few passive boosts, which won't take much. Honestly, classes and specs tend to gain power as expansions progress anyways (a character leveling through Cata now is far more powerful than a character leveling through cata would have been when Cata was still current content).

2) It assumes that the leveling content is so challenging that most players won't be able to progress without accounting for that power creep. Given that most leveling content is absurdly easy, particularly once it's no longer current content, I don't see this being a significant concern.
    They already said , that it will take 1-3 months to max the artifact out . Someone mentioned b4 , that apparently there will be a cap on artifact power. No idea what kind of cap will it be , but I would imagine , it shouldnt be more than a weekly cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Accounting for that power creep assumes a couple of things:

1) It assumes we will gain a significant amount of our artifact's power while leveling. They're talking about "a few months" to max out the artifact, and most people level in a few days, maybe a week. That means we're likely getting a very small part of our artifact's power while leveling, and probably none of the elite abilities. That means they only have to account for the baseline ability and a few passive boosts, which won't take much. Honestly, classes and specs tend to gain power as expansions progress anyways (a character leveling through Cata now is far more powerful than a character leveling through cata would have been when Cata was still current content).

2) It assumes that the leveling content is so challenging that most players won't be able to progress without accounting for that power creep. Given that most leveling content is absurdly easy, particularly once it's no longer current content, I don't see this being a significant concern.
    I might be willing to concede the point on power creep but the expansion as a whole assumes you have an artifact. The (possible) power creep, the quest text (which now includes the pop up VO with faces), the item drops, the class halls. It's an expansion built around this one concept. I have no idea how their internal systems work so I don't know what the better answer is for them. For customers it's creating the new artifact and story, for them internally? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    I've yet to see anyone discuss this, but I am convinced that this is the way they figured out how to make the system work.

They both provide an alternate means of empowering your character, but having a talent tree system, they seem to have figured out how to keep it from getting too out of hand.

Personally I love the system, and hope it continues into more expansions, the possibilities for expanding the idea are pretty endless, more skins, more models, more changes to the trees, new abilities with new animations. I think Blizzard is really touching on something cool here.
    I made reference to something similar way back when Artifacts were first announced. I was almost universally shot down by the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Enril View Post
    Pretty sure they havent made their minds about it yet. Personally? I would like it to stay , if it works out well enough.
    I think they should keep the weapon and relics, and change transmog to only restrict you by class, rather than equipped weapon. They changed the talent system multiple times, i don't see artifact traits stopping them from doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytch View Post
    The Artifact weapons will NOT be going into further expacs. They are Legion based only.
    The weapons wont continue, but the Artifact progression system could easily live on in another form if its something that ends up being successful. They could literally just rebrand it (Path of Titans?) and detach it from the weapon itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    The weapons wont continue, but the Artifact progression system could easily live on in another form if its something that ends up being successful. They could literally just rebrand it (Path of Titans?) and detach it from the weapon itself.
    I think the other way around is more likely(though not necessarily very likely). They already have a system in place that allows them to effectively continue to increase the item power of the artifacts indefinitely. But they won't keep the artifact power system due to the issue of keeping people up to date in post-legion expansions.

Deleted
    Yeah, it really feels like the artifact system is a spiritual successor to "the path of titans".

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I think the other way around is more likely(though not necessarily very likely). They already have a system in place that allows them to effectively continue to increase the item power of the artifacts indefinitely. But they won't keep the artifact power system due to the issue of keeping people up to date in post-legion expansions.
    Sure, my point is just that they could do anything with it. The fact that the artifact progression is tied to the weapon is irrelevant. Even that last point of yours is something that'd be easy to deal with by adjusting AP gain so that you'll have enough to buy "legacy" traits by the time you are 110. They're going to need to give people some new skills and abilities between 100-110 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    Sure, my point is just that they could do anything with it. The fact that the artifact progression is tied to the weapon is irrelevant. Even that last point of yours is something that'd be easy to deal with by adjusting AP gain so that you'll have enough to buy "legacy" traits by the time you are 110. They're going to need to give people some new skills and abilities between 100-110 anyway.
    Sure, but it would be easier and cleaner to just give those worth keeping out while you level, then have a new system in 8.0.

All major lore artifacts will likely go back to their owners and the rest put away, next expansion I have a feeling we will have something similar to artifact weapons but possibly innately for any weapon you can find over a certain item level and over time you will upgrade it into an artifact like weapon, maybe with not as many choices but it would be cool if we could forge our own unique one from a rare we like, that way it would feel truly unique.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    My concern is ... we're going to become really attached to the abilities granted to us through the Artifacts, so are they going to bake those into something else in the next expansion?
    Of course, that always happens. Leveling perks were rolled in to Legion. Talents removed from Legion were rolled-in to baseline. Anything that supports what the devs believe is good gameplay will remain, either as a talent or simply baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    I might be willing to concede the point on power creep but the expansion as a whole assumes you have an artifact. The (possible) power creep, the quest text (which now includes the pop up VO with faces), the item drops, the class halls. It's an expansion built around this one concept. I have no idea how their internal systems work so I don't know what the better answer is for them. For customers it's creating the new artifact and story, for them internally? Not sure.
    The easy solution would be to make any new class a part of an already existing faction, and have them share an existing artifact for the 10 levels where it would be relevant. Let's say they added a Battle-Mage class, they could just give them Felo'melorn for all specs and send them to the Mage Order Hall. It doesn't need to be very complex, and they could easily replace every Mage reference with Battle-Mage.

They're at a point where any new class could easily be associated with an already existing one for just a few levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Artifact Weapons is great Artifact Power is a cluster fuck, they need to fix it and do it before beta