Poll: Best timeperiod for WoW?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    WotLK and MoP were the game's high points, albeit for different reasons. WotLK hit a high note on the amount of dungeons, dungeon progression, and keeping them relevant after launch, while MoP was the game's high point on story progression, especially in 5.1 and 5.2.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Didn't select a poll option as none cover my answer...vanilla thru wrath was overall my personal favorite time of this game. However certain parts of each expansion I liked something.

Wotlk had the best lore. It was the peak of class mechanics and raid mechanics. We had the run talent trees still, frost tanking to this day was the funnest thing I have ever experienced in wow. Raid mechanics were meaningful and not watered down, the fights were fun instead of annoying. Being a caster and having to be mobile throughout entire fights is flat out annoying and makes the game unplayable for me which is why I stick to private servers. All specs were somewhat viable and it was accessible to casuals and still challenging for hardcores when they advance to higher tiers. Northrend is by far the best continent. The 5 mans were great. It began the dumbing down process but you can't fault the xpac for blizzard saying "hey lfg and multi raid modes worked, so let's blow all of it way out of proportion and eventually ruin the game!"

Tbc was great, but frustrating. The gearing process was very slow and tedious but it was very rewarding and fun when you behind to gear up and see your work paying off on the dps meters. Fights were still a bit bland as were class mechanics but it was still a good experience.

Vanilla was fun, the chaos of it all was great. 10 man dungeons need to come back, I think it's a better idea than 10 man raids, to have a mega dungeon that can't be queued up for and requires group comp and planning. The raids and QOL was obviously a mess ALONG with itemization and broken specs.

cata started well. good 5 mans, great early raids, but linear questing and a horrible late tier ruined it. I loved the rebirth of ZA and ZG but they got burned out so quick since you had to run them daily for months and everything else was obsolete at the time besides the raids.

MoP was a great xpac. Class mechanics were very strong in spite of the talent overhaul. Leveling was a blast until townlong. Heart of fear was the only weak raid in the game. The aesthetics were beautiful. The gear was great. ToT was great, soo was great, the mechanics were very fun and blizz took the groundwork for MoP and got carried away in wod and ruined their progress. Such an underrated xpac

Wod is lulz. Garrisons. Raid mechanics are unbearable and I have no interest in it. Break your cast and step to the side, repeat, repeat, repeat, blow brains out. Gearing your character and then mastering your spell priorities and then stepping into a raid to find your rotation broken by endless stupid aoe mechanics really sucks. Maybe I bee ! to git gud but I just don't find that a quality raid experience, I like feeling like smarts and gearing have the most impact, rather than just being able to step aside without your rotation taking too big of a hit.

Deleted
    TBC. Imo it had the widest range of good content. Didn't like WotLK in comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Exilian;40029615]Cata - aesthetically by far the strongest expansion to date, extremely fun lvling zones and raids, but lack of content and big QUOTE]

What do you mean with lack of content? It had everithing Wrath had, except it wasn't mandatory which caused people to stay all day in SW/ogri. The reason i hated cata are mostly due to the harcore aproach and the fact that most people that didn't had a raid group keeped jumping from guild to guild and until they finally got a spot, which was very difficult to get.

ON-TOPIC, my favorite was wrath, it had the proper contente to all kind of players , and you could still play it the way you enjoyed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say I like seeing the love MoP is getting, considering how everyone pretty much hated on that expansion all the way through, alot of people calling it worse than Cata at the time... Glad to see alot of others loved it besides me, even though its not my best time in WoW glad its getting some recognition :P

Vanilla, TBC and Wrath were the height of my playtime, unfortunately real life and the things that come with it stop me from being super hardcore as I used to be.
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-05-02 at 03:11 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

[QUOTE=Tuor;40117964]
    Quote Originally Posted by Exilian View Post
    Cata - aesthetically by far the strongest expansion to date, extremely fun lvling zones and raids, but lack of content and big QUOTE]

What do you mean with lack of content? It had everithing Wrath had, except it wasn't mandatory which caused people to stay all day in SW/ogri. The reason i hated cata are mostly due to the harcore aproach and the fact that most people that didn't had a raid group keeped jumping from guild to guild and until they finally got a spot, which was very difficult to get.

ON-TOPIC, my favorite was wrath, it had the proper contente to all kind of players , and you could still play it the way you enjoyed it.
    Well to tell you the truth I only played Cata for a little while, got to around max level and tired like 1 raid then I had to stop for IRL reasons. So I'm not the biggest authority when it comes to Cata, but what I've heard from people is that because Blizz spent so much time and money revamping the old world, there wasn't enough content in the new one (i.e. the scrapping of Abyssal Maw, which is to this day the raid I'd like to see the most).

What really won me over in Cata was Deeholm and Vashj'ir, the former because it was pristine and beautiful and the latter... I don't know if it's just me and that I have some kinda fetish for water, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed a zone more than Vashj'ir. Granted I played an ele sham so didn't run into the underwater problems which melee had (3d hitbox, etc.) but damn that zone was fucking gorgeous, the story was supreme, everything was just epic. I've been ranting for Blizz to add another underwater zone ever since.

Wrath=MoP ---> Cata ----> Classic=TBC=WoD
    Keep moving forward. - Walt Disney

wotlk content wise, though playwise i'd have to go with the newest expansion, because they always clean up / polish classes (like the removal of ammo, reagents, the need to dump all of your money for training [2g some silver for a skill at lvl 40...no wonder i never was able to buy a mount back then]) so i'm assuming legion will be the best, and hoping that it will actually have a lot of content to enjoy to rival, if not even throw wotlk down from the throne

personally i disliked mop (the story was good though) - i quit a bit before it released and didn't come back till i got a free week of playtime when SoO was out...and even then, doing all of the content i felt like the time between mop and warlords was way too long but it's still better then warlords of snoozor
    Last edited by Sundreamer; 2016-05-02 at 03:51 PM.

Deleted
    The Burning Crusade.

TBC was blizzard taking a step in the right direction, without diverting too far from the original game intention. Some specs became more viable, albeit not perfect, and there was alot of content to work with endgame with Attunements, Heroic Dungeons, Daily hubs and still some extra questing. Heroics seemed to have a rising difficulty between each dungeon, but i doubt that was intended.

The only negatives i feel they introduced were Gating. Catch-up gear, although i felt it was more forgiving as it introduced it in the very last patch of TBC. And the community becoming extremely elitist by giving out Arena gear after the season ended for Honour. The demand for Full S1 gear to run a level 70 normal dungeon is very fresh in my mind.

TBC had the best progression model. Hard heroic dungeons, hard raids and professions had some amazing stuff to craft. And every piece of content remained relevant troughout the whole expansion, people were still raiding Kara a lot while Sunwell was out.

But WotLK did pretty much everything else better. In this case I'm looking at things like the zones, music, story, aethestics, art, PvP, world content and such.

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wotlk is my favorite expansion, but my best experiences were in classic and tbc because the community was super awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    When all my good friends played. Vanilla to end of Cata.

for people who started in cataclysm they are going to have a very different opinion.

I started during burning crusade. Game was new I was like 14. Any expansion I would of thought the game was the greatest thing since sliced bread unless I started at a later age and had already played an MMO. I started Wow with massive amounts of free time on my hands and it was my first mmo.

I personally enjoyed TBC most but felt the game and community was at its healthiest during WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Late Vanilla where they started to iron out the bugs to Mid BC. With Sunwell came the first notable examples of obvious timegating and catch up mechanics, two of my top five "things hurting current WoW". So between buggy vanilla and the dumming down that started to come with Sunwell was the best time
    I wanna find something witty to say about bugs late in vanilla having to do with AQ but I just can't.

I actually miss some of the buggy gameplay like wall climbing/walking, but the time period you mention is probably my favorite as well.

this poll is fucked though. So many people on these boards haven't played Vanilla/TBC or even WOTLK. So what do they vote?
    In all honesty and even then you get a biased poll sorta due to nostalgia... you should players who have experienced every expansion

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I still feel like WoLK had the best stories/art/music, but my connection to it and the early days of Cata are surely somewhat subjective. My favorite moment in WoW was the day my guild finally downed the Lich King. I had risen through the ranks to main tank by that time, we had battled through so many wipes on Syndragosa, and just seeing the Lich King in person was a thrill. Downing him and posing for group screen shots was epic. This high point carried over into the first two tiers of Cataclysm. I still transmog the tier set I earned in Firelands.

For us the decline seemed to start with (dare I say it?) LFR. The raids never seemed as epic after we'd seen them already on a weekly faceroll basis: we eventually killed Deathwing, but it felt anti-climatic and our group began to drift apart. By the time MoP came out, it was less about the pandas and more about our fatigue. How do you get excited for content you've already cleared, even if it was on an easier level of difficulty?
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-05-03 at 10:22 AM.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Personally my favourite expansion was TBC, but perhaps WotLK was objectively better. It comes a close second anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    MoP was the best time I ever had in this game. Plenty of everything to do for everyone from top-tier raiders down to the most casual of casuals.
    Have to agree. There was content all over the place, from casual content to hardcore content, I loved it. Not to mention I thought fighting against bugs was absolutely stupid, I still liked some of the dungeons and even the dread wastes.

5.2 was one of the best patches I think we've seen to date, and while it was out for 14 months SoO was definitely a fun raid, no doubt. Same with ToT. Mop overall was really good even the story. Not only that, but LFR was actually fun during MoP, even though I mainly raided normal/heroic during MoP I still found it fun to jump in at times.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-05-03 at 12:22 PM.