Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I'm not totally against this, but lore is like the worst part of this game. Most of this questline will probably get reconned in the next book or expansion, so I'm not gonna get hyped over this yet.

The only reason I'm not totally against it is more content is never a bad thing. But lore being as bad as it is, and being the only reward, definitely apprehensive about this idea.
    My gut reaction to any that says lore is bad in this game is to wonder how knowledgeable they are on the lore or if they even read the books...i have enjoyed the books and think the lore is the third best of all fantasy fiction ...with dragon lance and lotr being my top two.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Yeah save the princess. Oh my god what a masterpiece of story telling. Zelda ad mario are the pinnacle of video game narrative and should get oscars and grammys and nobel peace prizes.
    Were you blind and deft when you played OoT and missed the entire time traveling plot? By the Titans...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah save the princess. Oh my god what a masterpiece of story telling. Zelda ad mario are the pinnacle of video game narrative and should get oscars and grammys and nobel peace prizes.
    I have a feeling you are just trying to bait with nonsensical posts. So I'm just going to avoid getting infracted again and ignore you..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Were you blind and deft when you played OoT and missed the entire time traveling plot? By the Titans...
    Were you stupid when the simplistic story only serves to drive the gameplay? Save me allah....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I have a feeling you are just trying to bait with nonsensical posts. So I'm just going to avoid getting infracted again and ignore you..
    They have non-stories to drive the gameplay because it's the most important part of a GAME. There's a reason people speed run all the good old classics because the cutscenes don't get in the way of the gameplay. But go ahead and think I'm baiting like everybody else on this site because you can't handle having a civil debate.

Deleted
    Were you stupid when the simplistic story only serves to drive the gameplay? Save me allah....

You really picked up the wrong Zelda game to talk about "the lack of story".

There is only a lot of text in tp and ss which are the worst zelda games because there is too much story and not enough gameplay, especially in the opening. There's a reason why the community is so split on liking them compared to lttp which is universally loved. The good parts about zelda has been exploring and solving puzzles, not the story.

Also I hate sandbox games and like I said my favorites bar banjo kazooie are story driven, but gameplay first games are always at the top of most beloved games of all time.
    TP didn't interrupt the player every 5 minutes to remind you how to play the game. SS was trash because that annoying ass sword would never shut the fuck up. Never made it past the first dungeon because it was irritating being treated like a dumbass because Nintendo believes holding your hand is the best way to get people playing.

/end rant
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post

You really picked up the wrong Zelda game to talk about "the lack of story".
    Some pointless timeline they just released in order to appease the fans doesn't mean jack shit. It's literally the last thing they think about when making a new zelda game and they even admit it because story has never and will never matter in video games. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spunt View Post
    TP didn't interrupt the player every 5 minutes to remind you how to play the game. SS was trash because that annoying ass sword would never shut the fuck up. Never made it past the first dungeon because it was irritating being treated like a dumbass because Nintendo believes holding your hand is the best way to get people playing.

/end rant
    Tp still suffered from too many cutscenes and a lot aren't skippable. Also too easy. I didn't finish ss either, but the 3rd dungeon is one of the best in the, series at least. They are still the worst zelda games by far just because of how much they limit your exploration.

They aren't mutually exclusive, but the people who say story is the most important part of a GAME are wrong in my opinion.
    Fixed that for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Video GAME not video story. Fact. I don't need millennials whose first game was on the 360 to tell me how video games are.

Video GAME not video story. Fact. I don't need millennials whose first game was on the 360 to tell me how video games are.
    My first game was in 1983 on a MSX, a computer I doubt you've even heard of kid.
    Remember games like Phantasy Star 3? Those weren't great because of gameplay mechanics, they were great because of the story in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    My first game was in 1983 on a MSX, a computer I doubt you've even heard of kid.
    Remember games like Phantasy Star 3? Those weren't great because of gameplay mechanics, they were great because of the story in my opinion.
    Uh huh, sure it was. Did you know most people don't even know what phantasy star is because it focused on story and not gameplay? People care more about phantasy star online because it focused on gameplay.

it will obviously have at least good artifact power rewards, come on

also I didnt realize Legion needed a saving grace ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheros View Post
    My gut reaction to any that says lore is bad in this game is to wonder how knowledgeable they are on the lore or if they even read the books...i have enjoyed the books and think the lore is the third best of all fantasy fiction ...with dragon lance and lotr being my top two.

And my gut says if you know even a little about any of wow's lore you would notice enough plot holes and retcons, to see how bad it is. You liking the lore, doesn't mean it's good. There are some decent parts, and I say decent because even the best parts still fall below par for what I would consider good video game stories, like MoP's story, It was decent, but then you have giant piles of turds, like WoD that prove enough to laugh at that clown who said "wow's writing is consistently the best part of the game."

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    And my gut says if you know even a little about any of wow's lore you would notice enough plot holes and retcons, to see how bad it is. You liking the lore, doesn't mean it's good. There are some decent parts, and I say decent because even the best parts still fall below par for what I would consider good video game stories, like MoP's story, It was decent, but then you have giant piles of turds, like WoD that prove enough to laugh at that clown who said "wow's writing is consistently the best part of the game."
    I said I liked the lore and I stand by that. Please show me right now where in this post or my prior I said there were no logical flaws in the lore at all. Also I even pointed out it isn't my favorite , its not even my second favorite. Finally when I say lore I mean the long haul -- the books AND the presentation in the games...you mention the story in WoD..that like judging a 1,000 page book on 100 pages.

My comment stands. Unchanged. I maintain most people that bring up the lore likely don't follow much of it.

Uh huh, sure it was. Did you know most people don't even know what phantasy star is because it focused on story and not gameplay? People care more about phantasy star online because it focused on gameplay.
    But don't be forgetting the VIDEO in the video game .

Games are meant to be fun, interactive stories are some of the best kind, but games dont' necessarily need to have a story.

Everything in life tells a story, the life you live, do things, act is a story that is writing. RPGs are very specifically story driven games that tell the story of an adventure, one who's path you get to determine rather than it being fixed. The idea is that you jump into the role of a wizard or a dwarf or proton blaster warrior and take on the evil person.

It's okay for games to have different objectives, but Warcraft from the very first game was story driven, this is what set it apart from other RTSs, it mattered that it was a good game, but it also mattered that it told a story.

Warcraft story has jumped genre, not everyone jumped with it, but it gained a much wider audience in the jump, all audeiinces, both RTS and MMORPG have been captivated at one point or another with teh story, even if they don't read any of the quests.

From the moment you step into the role of your race/class you're engaging in a story, the quests you follow are all about that, every activity has a reason and is part of a narrative. You can determine waht you can do or do not, but once you do there is only one outcome, the game is not designed or hasn't introduced multiple options like SWTOR does.

Yet, the game is might fun still, and the story engages far many more people, because the fantasy is to roleplay . You basically playing a storybook or movie, it's no longer the actor that's the hero, it's you, and you can get to a certain amount of liberty.

Whiles you can esport this game all you want, this is why it's an MMORPG - rpg can esport as well, but it tells a story, and blizzard have until recently only been telling that story using text boxes.. most of us are 100% use to full speech and video in our games today, we've been doing that since late 90s/early 00s, so having the story in text box, knowing most kids' phobia to reading (do that enough in school) caused alot to ignore, but the game was still enjoyable because it was addictive, roleplaying is quite appealing and the strong social element, but kept playing.

Never presume that the story isn't relevant because they didn't or you didn't pay much attention to it. Watch the difference if every quest was voiced out, and presented like Legion was presented, you'd find a new reason to really be into wow that you hadn't even realized was under your nose.

If you like movies, and series, books too, you'd love wow alot with a spoken story, it's exactly up the Shannara Chronicles, Shadowhunters, Game of Thrones etc alley. you love lord of the rings, the Hobbit, Harry Potter, Sci-fi stuff, make believe stuff you'd like it.

you may not think it was as great as them, but it would definitely improve your experience, dunno if you play games like Witcher, SWTOR, Dragon Age, nearly every other modern tittle, FFXIV etc, and enjoy the plot they weave... well wow's the same thing, one of the most engaging ones too, it just sucks cos you have to read it, and the others present it, which makes their story a lot more enjoyable to play through, even though wow's is good, but with the snag of having to read it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    But don't be forgetting the VIDEO in the video game .

Games are meant to be fun, interactive stories are some of the best kind, but games dont' necessarily need to have a story.

Everything in life tells a story, the life you live, do things, act is a story that is writing. RPGs are very specifically story driven games that tell the story of an adventure, one who's path you get to determine rather than it being fixed. The idea is that you jump into the role of a wizard or a dwarf or proton blaster warrior and take on the evil person.

It's okay for games to have different objectives, but Warcraft from the very first game was story driven, this is what set it apart from other RTSs, it mattered that it was a good game, but it also mattered that it told a story.

Warcraft story has jumped genre, not everyone jumped with it, but it gained a much wider audience in the jump, all audeiinces, both RTS and MMORPG have been captivated at one point or another with teh story, even if they don't read any of the quests.

From the moment you step into the role of your race/class you're engaging in a story, the quests you follow are all about that, every activity has a reason and is part of a narrative. You can determine waht you can do or do not, but once you do there is only one outcome, the game is not designed or hasn't introduced multiple options like SWTOR does.

Yet, the game is might fun still, and the story engages far many more people, because the fantasy is to roleplay . You basically playing a storybook or movie, it's no longer the actor that's the hero, it's you, and you can get to a certain amount of liberty.

Whiles you can esport this game all you want, this is why it's an MMORPG - rpg can esport as well, but it tells a story, and blizzard have until recently only been telling that story using text boxes.. most of us are 100% use to full speech and video in our games today, we've been doing that since late 90s/early 00s, so having the story in text box, knowing most kids' phobia to reading (do that enough in school) caused alot to ignore, but the game was still enjoyable because it was addictive, roleplaying is quite appealing and the strong social element, but kept playing.

Never presume that the story isn't relevant because they didn't or you didn't pay much attention to it. Watch the difference if every quest was voiced out, and presented like Legion was presented, you'd find a new reason to really be into wow that you hadn't even realized was under your nose.

If you like movies, and series, books too, you'd love wow alot with a spoken story, it's exactly up the Shannara Chronicles, Shadowhunters, Game of Thrones etc alley. you love lord of the rings, the Hobbit, Harry Potter, Sci-fi stuff, make believe stuff you'd like it.

you may not think it was as great as them, but it would definitely improve your experience, dunno if you play games like Witcher, SWTOR, Dragon Age, nearly every other modern tittle, FFXIV etc, and enjoy the plot they weave... well wow's the same thing, one of the most engaging ones too, it just sucks cos you have to read it, and the others present it, which makes their story a lot more enjoyable to play through, even though wow's is good, but with the snag of having to read it.
    The warcraft lore is fine, but if they really wanted to tell a story they wouldn't have made an mmo since it is the worst genre for that. They clearly had gameplay first otherwise they could have made wc4 with campaigns.

Preach makes Suramar sound like something I'd enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-bQIHGQ24

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    That zone looks amazing. There are more than enough paths to chose from to upgrade your weapon and get that gear. So thrilled to have an entire zone dedicated to being just a huge-ass storyline. From what I hear it's more than long enough that you should be able to take breaks and return later on. Great to have the option of just experiencing a story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    Preach makes Suramar sound like something I'd enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-bQIHGQ24
    That video actively excites me. Not touching that zone in the alpha though, seeing as it's 100% pure story content I want to save it for release.

I'm glad that Blizzard has taken the time to develop content that lacks carrots-on-sticks. The content itself, if worthy enough, will be experienced by those who are interested.

We are already receiving plenty of methods to empower our characters, so why not have this optional story zone to just have fun in?

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    I always have to laugh when the WoW fanboys jump into these threads. If Blizzard decided that every toon could only walk, the fanboys would be on these boards cheering them on. "We never wanted to ride anywhere anyway!!!"

The game allows each account 50 toons. That sort of implies that subscribers will roll multiple alts. Why wouldn't there be an expectation that a major zone would be replayable? Even if it has got lots of quests, Suramar isn't going to keep a main occupied for any length of time. And then what?
    I think you could take the implication in a number of ways. From my perspective, the 50 toon limit is really a relic of prior environments when there weren't any cross realm activities. Your friends are scattered on different servers, so you're forced to make multiple toons to play with them. That's really not the case anymore; what's the value of having more than say 22 toons? That's one of each class on each faction. You can do almost anything cross realm.

I'm not sure why my opinion here makes me a "fanboy." I'm saying I'd rather content exist in such a way that it encourages me to focus on one toon vs. 10. If Blizzard makes it too rewarding to play alts, guess what people will do? I'd rather they made it rewarding to play alts, but that reward was balanced by other rewards from playing my main. As in, I have so much to do on my main that I can't play alts or at least I have to make a tradeoff.

In WoD, there's no tradeoff to running 10 garrisons. There's so little content on my main and it takes no amount of time to run garrisons and is infinitely rewarding. How's that working out for Blizz? Are garrisons not the most hated content they've ever created?